HELP HELP...rsm manifold doesnt fit! - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
HELP HELP...rsm manifold doesnt fit!
Friday, November 04, 2005 11:52 AM
...anyone hate modding and fabbing aftermarket parts just so they work/fit correctly? Id gladly pay double the price if bolt-ons actually just "bolted on", lol.

Ordered the ported lower intake manfold from rsm racing for my 96 ohv maual with power steering. reason im descriptive...the rsm manifold does NOT clear the power steering pump. Like, it would need to be shaved 2.5 inches. Anyone have any tips on how to make it fit properly? It IS the correct part, it is the cast aluminum manifold, should fit the 96 ohv...but it does not. my mechanic says hes actually even hitting the resivoir, it is way too large.

please advice...I see a lot of people with this part installed. car is in the shop now.

...don't hate!.. respect people that have talent, even if it is in something you don't like or understand.

Re: HELP HELP...rsm manifold doesnt fit!
Friday, November 04, 2005 1:25 PM
...anyone anyone?

...don't hate!.. respect people that have talent, even if it is in something you don't like or understand.
Friday, November 04, 2005 2:49 PM
is it the runners that are hitting it?
Friday, November 04, 2005 2:57 PM
Got ya covered man

................Which car will hit 400 whp first???................
Friday, November 04, 2005 4:27 PM
...jason, i dunno what is hitting it. some part of the im. sorry, didnt look at it, just going by what the mechanic said.

thanks, lowfire. just gonna port the stocker, i guess, and try to sell the part in classified.

anyone wanna buy it?

Friday, November 04, 2005 4:55 PM
soul horse wrote:...jason, i dunno what is hitting it. some part of the im. sorry, didnt look at it, just going by what the mechanic said.

thanks, lowfire. just gonna port the stocker, i guess, and try to sell the part in classified.

anyone wanna buy it?

haha, I don't have a power steering pump
But I don't need your manifold, sorry.

fortune cookie say:
better a delay than a disaster.
Saturday, November 05, 2005 4:17 PM
hey soul, if you need any help or info on portin' out that stocker, let me know, I finished up mine last week and it gives the car a much peppier feel to it, better throttle response as well.
About the RSM Intake manifold, I thought their ported manifold was only for 98+ 2200? I may be wrong, but just wanted to check on it.
Saturday, November 05, 2005 6:34 PM
...good man, svo. I actually am gonna have my stocker ported by my mech....i am no good with a dremel. i am glad to hear i will enjoy a gain, even a small one, with the ported one. got a 59mm tb too, so hope ill notice something.

i also heard the same thing about the rsm manifold. it has beautiful, long, ported runners....and the damn employees SWORE to me it was the correct part for a 95-97 2.2...but my mech. ASSURES me that it is running into the power steering pump by 3 inches. NO WAY itll fit without removing the pump. 5-10 hp on the top end is NOT worth me losing the ability to turn easily. soooooo...we shall see how it works out. but thanks for the advice...drop me an email if you like.

Sunday, November 06, 2005 8:14 PM
The RSM manifold is for the 2200 98+ engine, not prior. Runner and manifold is quite different.

http://members.rankmyride.com/djtorello
Sunday, November 06, 2005 9:24 PM
2.2L (94-97) mani on left, 2200 (98+) mani on right:

If it's the one on the right I'd send it back to RSM as they told you it was for your car, and it obviously wasn't. But, you said it was cast aluminum, and RSM doesn't produce an Al mani for the 2200, but they also don't sell lower lower manis for the 2.2L AFAIK. If they did, they would just port out a stocker, they wouldn't design a new one (and they definately wouldn't cast one).
Therefore, I don't know what your problem is...sorry. Anyone know what the pre-94 manifolds looked like?

fortune cookie say:
Monday, November 07, 2005 9:30 AM
Why would you sell the manifold for less than what you paid for it.... Send the thing back to RSM and demand your money back and make them pay for shipping! They gave you the wrong part so it's not your fault!!

RSM does sell a ported lower manifold for the 92-97 2.2. The manifold from 92-97 are the same just the injector control changed over the years.

I would like to see a picture of this manifold, it would give a better idea about what your dealing with....

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?selected=130891

Monday, November 07, 2005 1:19 PM
Are you guys porting the intake or exhaust manifolds, if so how do you do it really?? Would like a little free power out of my winter beater, lol.

http://members.cardomain.com/vertz24 1998 Z24 Convertible
Monday, November 07, 2005 2:03 PM
...to tell the truth, the cahs isnt a big thing. i hate dealing with returns, i almost never return anything (it is in my chinese nature...ask any asian american, they's rather not "embarrass" the seller...kinda hard to explain, but if you were raised this way, you would understand, lol). the manifold looks like the one on the left, aluminum...but it is NOT the same size. there is no way it would fit on my car. and it is not simply a stock manifold that has been ported, it has larger, longer runners. it is the same shape and general port location, but is about 3 inches wider than it should be on the power steering pump side.

so i guess well see if anyone wants to buy it. i put it in classifieds, but am being completely honest with my potential buyers, that it did NOT fit on my car.

Thursday, November 17, 2005 5:47 PM
UPDATE:
I bought the manifold from soul horse, if for nothing else but to see exactly what it was. Well, here it is (compared to a stock 2.2L CAVALIER manifold):

(I know the pics are big...deal with it)
Now, I don't own an S10, but I'd be willing to bet this is an S10 manifold. The fact that RSM would sell this as a J-Body product is ridiculous, and to be honest, it is more polished than ported (obviously you need the polishing, just saying it's not ported much, if at all). Oh well, I have plans for it anyway.

fortune cookie say:
Thursday, November 17, 2005 6:33 PM
...oh, jeez josh. Im sorry if you are unhappy with the product. I hope you can use it, or get something outta it. does it look like itll fit, or is it not even a j-body comp. part? As I posted before, nelson from rsm SWOREEEEE this was a direct bolt on for the 95-97 ohv...told me the plastic one was for the 2200. if you can, contact him and see if it is right or wrong...and if it IS, hopefully you can use it. If it is NOT, at best, you are a martyr of sorts to tell all not to buy that particular product from them, and maybe theyll hook you up with a credit? maybe? we can hope.

Thursday, November 17, 2005 8:30 PM
Nah, it's cool. It should fit since I don't have a power steering pump, but I don't have an installed engine to check for other possible clearance issues (although I can't imagine any off-hand), so it'll be a while. The mounting holes all seem to look the same, so technically, it will 'bolt up' as said. I've noticed that the fuel pressure regulator is on the other side (not a problem since I won't be using the stock 'rail'), and the EGR gas routing is slighlty different (not a problem as I won't have an EGR system). Also, the long runners should come in handy with one of my projects.
I'm just over-all surprised that RSM would put this product out. I have always seen them as a 'top-of-the-line' establishment (and their prices also hint towards that), but maybe they're headed the way of Mantapart (although I've never directly dealt with mantapart, only purchased their products second hand, so everything is heresay to me).

Oh well, no more posts this month, talk to y'all in a couple weeks (gotta get back to porting the rediculously poor quality Audi heads anyway)

fortune cookie say:
Friday, November 18, 2005 4:37 AM
...<you are still with us in heart>..lol. good luck with your project.
\

Friday, November 18, 2005 7:39 AM
looking at the first pic ohv posted , id have to agree they gave him the S10 2.2 intake

the runner on the left is pushed to the right quite a bit , and that would be for the HVAC clearence , of the box on the firewall

my guess would be either the S10 part got mixed up with the cav parts , or some returned them the S10 in place of a cav part

Tuesday, June 03, 2008 8:36 AM
I know this thread is considered dead by now, but I must state that the RSM manifold pictured here is not for the S-10. The S-truck LN2 uses the same lower half as the shown above as stock on the J-car.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search