(Originially Posted 11/22/2005) magnaflow vs pacesetter - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
(Originially Posted 11/22/2005) magnaflow vs pacesetter
Tuesday, November 22, 2005 3:01 PM
Ok i was looking online at exhaust. Im a new so i dont know much about it. The biggest different i noticed was the price. For whoever advertises turbotech, i noticed you have a pacesetter catback for like 190. Ive seen magnaflow prices around 600 bucks. Is there any reason to pay 3 times as much for the magnaflow?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, November 16, 2012 3:17 PM

Re: magnaflow vs pacesetter
Tuesday, November 22, 2005 3:48 PM
quality.
i hear the pasesetter exhaust sound like crap and tends to rust and fall off the car after about a year. then again i just heard this.
better off getting a custom exhaust system. muffler of your choice, resonator, 2.25 inch piping.

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Tuesday, November 22, 2005 5:05 PM
^^^What he said. You can't go wrong with Magnaflow, top notch stuff. One of the main reasons why I didn't go for the Pacesetter was because I heard a number of stories of people whose mufflers just rotted and fell off. If you live in a climate with snow and salt, I wouldn't go for it. But either way, I'd go Magnaflow.

Blown.
Tuesday, November 22, 2005 5:27 PM
I was also looking at the Pacesetter exhaust and then all the guys I talk to and trust with J-Body stuff told me that the pacesetter isn't of great quality and it won't last very long in Wisconsin

if it ain't broke...MAKE IT GO FASTER
Tuesday, November 22, 2005 6:50 PM
the only good i have heard about pacesetter is their CERAMIC COATED header...Which I have, but i haven't driven my car enough to tell lately

Hi

Tuesday, November 22, 2005 10:35 PM
Quote:

i hear the pasesetter exhaust sound like crap

A Pacesetter will sound like an angry hornet, go to magnaflow.com and check out their sound clips, the tone is a lot deeper. People look at me strangely when they see my dual exhaust, then even stranger with they hear them. Not what they expect at all from a Cavalier. haha
Wednesday, November 23, 2005 6:08 AM
Get a Magnaflow like everyone said, I have a pacesetter, well half a pacesetter. The major problem with the catback is the muffler. It makes it sound bad at 4500 rpm or higher. I replaced it and it sounds 100% better. We just installed a Magnaflow on my friends 2004 cavalier, and wow, sounds even better than my new set up.

Mine been on for 2 years now and no rusting problems as of yet.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, November 23, 2005 6:21 AM
There is also Dynomax exhaust as well. Can't go wrong with those either you can get a superturbo or ultraflo.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 10:15 AM
Chris Mackinlay wrote:
Quote:

i hear the pasesetter exhaust sound like crap

A Pacesetter will sound like an angry hornet, go to magnaflow.com and check out their sound clips, the tone is a lot deeper. People look at me strangely when they see my dual exhaust, then even stranger with they hear them. Not what they expect at all from a Cavalier. haha

Does a Resonator help with the sound, i like the Dual Kit's setup, but havent honestly heard the sound of it, but i do want it quiet and deep (something louder than stock that wont sound like a Civic)

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 9:29 PM
Quote:

Does a Resonator help with the sound, i like the Dual Kit's setup, but havent honestly heard the sound of it, but i do want it quiet and deep (something louder than stock that wont sound like a Civic)

At idle, my exhaust is pretty quiet, it has a nice deep rumble, but when I hit 3300 rpm or so, it gets really loud, or when I'm in a high gear and the throttle body opens up, kinda loud then, but overall, I'm satisfied.
Wednesday, November 23, 2005 9:32 PM
a resonator should be added to to any exhaust for the J car. I like mine the way it is though. It just sounds mean. Not too raspy

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.

Thursday, November 24, 2005 8:07 PM
Thanks for the advice, 24" seems to be the common ground around here right?

Thursday, November 24, 2005 8:40 PM
Yea sure. Go for it!

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Thursday, November 24, 2005 8:41 PM
yup, I have a 18" but a 24" would be even better depending on the sound you want, as for the catback, go custom, you'll save a lot of money that way...

Thursday, November 24, 2005 9:20 PM
I have a 29" resonator on mine and sounds real nice a mellow not loud and a nice tone.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Friday, November 25, 2005 6:48 PM
Da Ghost (Qc) wrote:yup, I have a 18" but a 24" would be even better depending on the sound you want, as for the catback, go custom, you'll save a lot of money that way...

Custom seems the plan, just waiting for the $, and dunno if i want to do it yet being winter.

Friday, November 16, 2012 4:41 AM
Are resonators necessary for the exhaust systems? Will the exhaust be louder without one? Will I still be able to pass emissions without one? After reading what I read here on this thread I am certain that I want a Magbaflow system connected to a thunderbolt cat.
Friday, November 16, 2012 5:19 AM
Resonators are not necessary, but they are highly recommended. It will quite the exhaust down alittle and will remove the rasp sound from the exhaust system. They are purely used to help control the exhaust sound.

Friday, November 16, 2012 5:19 AM
Without a resonator it will be louder and it will pass emissions......

That being said it will sound much nicer with one.

Check this out>>http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com/servlet/the-Car-Exhaust-cln-Chevrolet-cln-95-dsh-05-Chevy-Cavalier/Categories

Have all options of mufflers, resonators, and cheaper
Friday, November 16, 2012 8:50 AM
Philly D wrote:Without a resonator it will be louder and it will pass emissions......

Check this out>>http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com/servlet/the-Car-Exhaust-cln-Chevrolet-cln-95-dsh-05-Chevy-Cavalier/Categories

That MES system is a nice option, but fitment is marginal at best. I was not happy with my exhaust system from them. I had to tweak it a lot to get it to fit right

Friday, November 16, 2012 9:56 AM
I like the 14" resonator. It looks like I can keep done of the loudness, and quiet it down some. Will I bolt up yo tjr Magnaglow cat-back system?

Friday, November 16, 2012 10:28 AM
AL1A5 wrote:
Philly D wrote:Without a resonator it will be louder and it will pass emissions......

That MES system is a nice option, but fitment is marginal at best. I was not happy with my exhaust system from them. I had to tweak it a lot to get it to fit right

@!#$ty to hear.

What kind of mods were needed to be done to it.....?

The piping or just hangers?
Friday, November 16, 2012 3:12 PM
Were mods needed for the cat back system or for the resonator?
Monday, November 19, 2012 5:36 AM
Philly D wrote:
AL1A5 wrote:

@!#$ty to hear.

What kind of mods were needed to be done to it.....?

The piping or just hangers?

It's not a bad product. All of the bends were in the right place. The only hanger that is welded to the pipe is the one just before the rear axle. I didn't like the fact that its just a straight piece coming off the pipe. THere is no bend in the hanger to keep it from sliding around in the rubber mount. It can slide side to side. The other "hangers" if you will, are just random round stock welded to those stupid U-bolt exhaust hangers. There was no rhyme or reason to them. They in no way corresponded to any existing exhaust hanger mount on the car. I even had the 2k+ and pre-2k muffler mounts here and neither lined up with their "hangers." I ended up using the stock muffler strap and just modified it as needed. The other big issue I had is that for their slip joints, there was about 4" of extra piping that needed to be cut off. The piece with the exhaust tip attached, was also way too long. I could have left it and had the tip sticking 5" past the end of the bumper. I assume that they did that so you can cut it to fit whatever bumper you are running. They shouldn't have sent the cheap U-bolt exhaust clamps either. For the price they charge, the clamps should have been the walker/dynomax band clamps, the lap joint style.

Maybe I got one that was made by a disgruntled employee and everyone elses will fit better. This system was definitely not a bolt on affair. You shouldn't need to break out the sawzall and get creative when installing a "bolt on cat back exhaust setup." /rant

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 4:07 PM
Your not alone on that. Mine needed to be modified pretty heavily as well. All the hangers that come with the kit are useless might ass well not even use them. I ended up cutting the pipes to fit right and welding up new brackets myself along with ditching the clamps and welding the pipes. Far from bolt on but still not a bad price for stainless mandrel bent. Just wish I knew the fitment was garbage I would have spared the cash and just gone with there prebent pipe kit that you put together.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search