2200 intake manifolds S10 Vs. J-bod - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2200 intake manifolds S10 Vs. J-bod
Monday, November 28, 2005 7:05 AM
I was talking with some buddies last night about the usual car crap and when we were going to put my spare motor in the cav, when one of my budies asked if there was a differance with intake manifolds on an ohv cav and s10. Does anybody know if there is? If so I'm asuming it should bolt up to the head but possible relocation of cables and or wires may be needed.

Thanks for any response

Jeff

Re: 2200 intake manifolds S10 Vs. J-bod
Monday, November 28, 2005 7:24 AM
I have a buddy who swapped a 4.3 into his Sonoma and a lot of his S10 buddies say the S10 LN2 is the exact same as the J-car LN2.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Monday, November 28, 2005 9:07 AM
I just helped a friend put a different head on his 97 2.2 and the one we used came from a s-10. I am not sure about the newer 2200's though.

I have a question about this as well. Are the cams from the 2 the same. I have heard that the s-10's are different for torque purposes? I do not think it would be but I would like to see someone else's opinion on the matter..

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/importkilla32/Bullit.JPG
Monday, November 28, 2005 9:37 AM
This was just talked about in another thread on this page, lets see if i can find it.

Monday, November 28, 2005 9:41 AM
Monday, November 28, 2005 11:12 AM
Thanks for looking up that post EL Fuego but that intake refurs to the 2.2 ohv not the 2200 98+ manifolds that i am looking for

Monday, November 28, 2005 2:36 PM
Juice pushrods wrote:Thanks for looking up that post EL Fuego but that intake refurs to the 2.2 ohv not the 2200 98+ manifolds that i am looking for

Ok. odd, i believe that info was there. hmmm, gonna take another lookie.

Sunday, December 04, 2005 10:30 PM
Does anybody else have any input on the 2200 s-10 intake mani?

Monday, December 05, 2005 5:49 AM
Juice pushrods wrote:Does anybody else have any input on the 2200 s-10 intake mani?
What more do you need? This pretty much sums it up -
OHV notec wrote:Nah, it's cool. It should fit since I don't have a power steering pump, but I don't have an installed engine to check for other possible clearance issues (although I can't imagine any off-hand), so it'll be a while. The mounting holes all seem to look the same, so technically, it will 'bolt up' as said. I've noticed that the fuel pressure regulator is on the other side (not a problem since I won't be using the stock 'rail'), and the EGR gas routing is slighlty different (not a problem as I won't have an EGR system). Also, the long runners should come in handy with one of my projects....

Monday, December 05, 2005 10:40 AM
well, here's a pic of the 2200 version of the S10 manifold:

and the black plastic manifold in one of my pictures from the other thread is the J version. You should be able to see the obvious differences. I would assume pretty much the same problems as with the older version.

fortune cookie say:
better a delay than a disaster.
Monday, December 05, 2005 12:35 PM
cool thanks guys

Thursday, October 26, 2006 12:10 PM
this might be a stupid question but does this modification of putting an s10 intake manifold on a 2200 hundred give the engine a couple of more hp.
Thursday, October 26, 2006 12:13 PM
this might be a stupid question but does this modification of putting an s10 intake manifold on a 2200 hundred give the engine a couple of more hp.
Thursday, October 26, 2006 12:30 PM
Those manifolds were designed to make torque, not hp, just like their cams. The reason they will make more torque is that they have longer runners, whereas the shorter runners are designed for higher end hp production on the Js.
The only stupid question is the one not asked.

fortune cookie say:
better a delay than a disaster.
Thursday, October 26, 2006 10:46 PM
Wow back from the dead.....now I just thought of something...it apears i could do a direct port setup on that mani alot easier than on my j body mani. plus I wonder if you run into hood clearance with the s-10 mani on a jbody.

Friday, October 27, 2006 9:21 AM
I might go down to the local wreckers and buy one to see how/what could be possible problems on a 2200 not 2.2 motor since i still have my spare motor on my engine stand. If it does work I wonder what numbers you could make with a turbo setup. Now if it will work once installed (keyword IF ) with power steering and what not I would be willing to dyno the stock mani and the s 10 mani when I get my built motor in the cav and tuned for N/A. but we will have to see how the Sdime fits first.

Friday, October 27, 2006 3:16 PM
By the looks of the photo that OHV notec posted above, it looks like the intake manny might interfere with the power steering pump.

Friday, October 27, 2006 4:21 PM
thanx OHV notec
Friday, March 14, 2008 9:43 PM
dont meen to bring this back from the dead but....anyone have any updates about this, have any of you guys tried fitting the s10 mani for the 2200? I'm curious because I wanted to swap out the manifold's but I dont know for sure if anyone had tried it and had issues with clearance.

no more cavy...now 240 =]

I see a cool-air intake
It's got a NOS-fogger system and a T-4 turbo
I see an A.I.C. controller
It has direct port nitrous injection
Yeah, a stand-alone fuel management system
...Not a bad way to spend $10,000
Saturday, March 15, 2008 2:53 AM
As far as I know, no one has done it. But its not like the things aren't a dime a dozen in the junkyards. Pick one up and try it!

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Saturday, March 15, 2008 7:12 AM
I been looking on the S10 forums, they swap in our mani's all the time. According to what i read they say it doesnt produce any more hp or torque, but allows them to drop the truck down to low rider height. So my guess is if anything you might gain a bit of lower end due to longer runner length.

I noticed thoes intakes have swappable throttle bodies? I wonder if this would work for my 2.2 OHV 95.

Saturday, March 15, 2008 8:21 AM
Scarab (Jersey Jay 1.8T) wrote:As far as I know, no one has done it. But its not like the things aren't a dime a dozen in the junkyards. Pick one up and try it!

I was planing on doing it, I just wanted to see first if anyone had done it so I know if they had any fitment problems like with the hood or anything.

no more cavy...now 240 =]

I see a cool-air intake
It's got a NOS-fogger system and a T-4 turbo
I see an A.I.C. controller
It has direct port nitrous injection
Yeah, a stand-alone fuel management system
...Not a bad way to spend $10,000
Saturday, March 15, 2008 9:00 AM
C Smyth wrote:I noticed thoes intakes have swappable throttle bodies? I wonder if this would work for my 2.2 OHV 95.
The LN2 S10 had the same ports as the J did, so the 2200 manifold can not be swapped from 2200 to 2.2L. So no, that won't work. The S10 manifold you would need is in the link el fuego posted in this thread,
00Cavy wrote:
Scarab (Jersey Jay 1.8T) wrote:As far as I know, no one has done it. But its not like the things aren't a dime a dozen in the junkyards. Pick one up and try it!

I was planing on doing it, I just wanted to see first if anyone had done it so I know if they had any fitment problems like with the hood or anything.
I think you'll have to worry about the PS pump before the hood.

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Sunday, March 16, 2008 8:11 PM
The S10 manifold looks like a plastic version of the 95-98 (97?) 2.2 manifolds. The shape is very similar, only the J manifold was aluminum. Assuming they are as similar as they look, heres your difference:

1995-1998 2.2L 120HP, 130TQ
1999-2002 2200 (2.2L) 115 HP, 135 TQ.

S10s may have been rated at 130HP, but trucks have looser emissions ratings allowing the ECU to be more agressivly mapped.

The shorter, wider runners in the early 2.2L and S10 manifolds favor higher end HP, at the cost of air velocity and TQ. The later 2200 with the longer, thinner runners do the exact opposite. The end result? Nearly identical overall performance, but a different feel due to the different HP and TQ peaks. If your building a daily driver that sees alot of city/in town use...go for the newer type manifold and the beefier TQ band. If you do alot of highway/higher speed driving and passing use the older (or S10) manifold for the better HP. Also the S10 manifold is plastic which transfers heat less and weighs alot less than the aluminum J manifold.

Join verbalwarfare.com

http://www.verbalwarfare.com/forum.php?referrerid=86

Monday, March 17, 2008 12:34 AM
Actually, from what I gathered all the pre-'98 LN2's used the same aluminum two-piece manifold. '98 was total redo on the port shape so pre-'98 & post-'98 won't swap. After '98 with the differences as to plennum placemtnt & runner length, I don't know about. But here's a thought: Why not check the aftermarket to see whom has what for each? Venom I know at one time made a manifold for the pre-'98 cast in aluminum, and turbos10.com (<--Not a link! Don't try!) has a fair selection to chose from for the LN2. Why not give them a try? Oh, and Hogan makes one for this engine (Both gen's) outta sheetmetal to your specs, so there you go!

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search