2.2 OHV Valve Adjustment (for roller rockers) - Page 2 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 2.2 OHV Valve Adjustment (for roller rockers)
Tuesday, December 13, 2005 9:53 PM
Phlatcav wrote:Correction on ARP part numbers for head and main studs!!!

For the head studs the final part numbers are:

5 x ATP4.510L M11x1.5 STUD x 4.510"
5 x ATP5.950-1 Custom M11x1.5 STUD
10 x APN12-2 12 Point Nuts
10 x APW1316N Washers

For the Main Studs the Final Part numbers are:

10 x ATP4.400-1LB M11x1.5 & 7/16-20 STUD
10 x APN12-1 7/16-20 12PT Nut
10 x ARW1316 Washer 7/16ID 13/16OD Chamfe

for the 2.2 OHV, the 2200, or both?

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 10:24 PM
yea good question, i assumed they would work on both motors?

Thursday, December 15, 2005 6:40 AM
Well at least I know the thread pitch on those head studs is right. Why GM decided to use an M11 pattern I'll never know. It made it a @!#$ bitch when I had to go look for a tap to run it through my block and clean out all the @!#$ out of the threads.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Monday, February 20, 2006 9:30 AM
Was it determined that the ARP numbers posted above were for the 2200 --AND-- the 2.2, or just for the 2200?

Also, are most of the other internals "swappable" between the two engines, besides the head gasket that is?

L8r...

*** Need some 1995 Cavalier parts ???
*** FOR SALE: doors, windows, interior, engine parts, fenders, etc. -- email me!
Tuesday, February 21, 2006 8:49 PM
These part #'s were measured out for the 2200. I just measured the holes in the 2.2L and 2200 heads, and the 2.2L is .150" longer. The short bolts are both the same. When holding the long headstuds up next to the 2.2L stockers, the ARP will definately work (make sure you don't forget the washers however). I'm not so sure if they will actually fit on the 2200 though Won't know until it all goes together I guess.
Main studs are the same on both engines of course.

As far as swapping parts, everything below the headgasket should be the same (minus the cam). Actually, the crank may have different timing marks or something as well.

fortune cookie say:
better a delay than a disaster.
Monday, April 17, 2006 7:59 AM
While surfing through Chevy High Perormance's web site, I found a good aticle about setting valve lash/pre-load for all four stroke motors. Although this atricle was done using a SBC, the priciple is the same. Pay attention though, they describe haw to do lash settings on a mechanical cam and the pre-load on a hydraulic cam. it doesn't matter if they are roller or flat tappet cams, just wether they are mech or hyd.

Chey High performance: Rookie Tech: How to Set Valves the Easy Way

Saturday, April 22, 2006 9:41 PM
if i had a set of cams, is there any way to tell if they are the exact LO cams that i need for the swap? since the casting numbers are the same for a few cams, i guess that wont be that accurate.

Saturday, April 22, 2006 10:23 PM
whoops, sorry, wrong thread.

Saturday, May 13, 2006 2:35 AM
I'm sure i'll get kicked in the ass for posting this but...i just bought a set of the crane roller rockers from Howell Automotive and me being the tard that i am, i didnt read that they were for 98 and up, i just read that they were for the pushrod motor....i have the '96 2.2, they're not gonna fit are they? The thing that puzzles me is that the studs and the poly locks are the same for both motors, so are the rocker arms also??? I've searched for a while now and haven't really found anything concrete saying either way...
Sunday, May 14, 2006 10:23 AM
Search for the LN2 rockers thread. You need different studs. There may still be some in the classifieds here....

fortune cookie say:
Monday, May 15, 2006 3:31 PM
I searched for the LN2 thread and it only came up with one post about a guy asking about the 2.8/3.1. According to my research, the new/aftermarket rocker arm studs and the poly locks (studs from ARP and poly locks from crane) are the same for both the 2200 and the 2.2, but i cant find a part number on the rocker arms that i have in order to see if they will work in the 2.2 (i already know they work in the 2200). And just like your fortune cookie says, i'd rather delay the install than just put them in to see if they work and trash my motor if they don't. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 3:56 PM
The 2200 and 2.2L use DIFFERENT studs. The 2.2L had uses a 10mm thread and the 2200 is an 8mm thread. Try using different search terms, the thread is out there and pretty large.

fortune cookie say:
Friday, May 26, 2006 9:06 PM
Spotabee Racing (The Fake Z24) wrote:Cylinder 1 needs to be at TDC.

i know this is a total newb question but me being a newb to this all and interested in it ... were is cylinder one compared to the tranny? is it the closest one or the farthest away one?

Monday, May 29, 2006 2:19 PM
I just finished the install of the crane roller rocker set from Howell automotive and, OHV notec, you were right about one thing...The 2.2 DOES in fact, use the 10mm studs, BUT, the rocker set that Howell sent me, which was for the (and I quote) "98 up GM 2.2 OHV" (which should be the 2200 right? being that it's '98 and up) CAME with 10mm studs...So wouldn't that lead one to believe that the 2.2 and the 2200 use the same studs? Oh, by the way, the installation went flawlessly, didn't have to modify the valvecover or anything...Though I don't think i noticed any power gains...
Monday, May 29, 2006 5:48 PM
I see you have a '96, I hope you removed the guide plates. You don't want to use both the self-aligning rockers and the guide plates together. Pushrod damage would most likely occur.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 2:59 PM
Dickey wrote:...The 2.2 DOES in fact, use the 10mm studs, BUT, the rocker set that Howell sent me, which was for the (and I quote) "98 up GM 2.2 OHV" (which should be the 2200 right? being that it's '98 and up) CAME with 10mm studs...So wouldn't that lead one to believe that the 2.2 and the 2200 use the same studs?

For those who haven't caught this before, the '97 & older 2.2Ls used a 10mm base stud. The '98 2200 used both the 10mm and the 8mm base studs, be sure to check and see what you have before ordering studs for these motors. the '99+ all had the 8mm studs.

When I ordered my kit from Howell, yes I have a 2.2L, they sent me 7/16" base studs. If you get the wrong studs, call them, they will get it straight. Their kits are supposed to come with the 8mm base studs. It all depends on who's doing the packaging, they have had problems a few times sending the wrong studs, but usually they get it right.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search