High-Compression Ecotec Pistons - Page 2 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: High-Compression Ecotec Pistons
Saturday, January 07, 2006 2:59 PM
Sasuke wrote:Just do what you want. N/A or boost. If you want insane power, get a turbo setup. If you want some extra noise and get up and go, then stick N/A. Either way, kudos for deciding to mod what you got and good luck with whatever you'll do.

I'll give him props for doing it but I personally wouldn't do it that's all. Either way, as long as your happy, that's all that matters.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Saturday, January 07, 2006 3:00 PM
John H [Cavalierkid wrote:]
Quote:

I just wanted to take mine a step up from stock. Slightly higher compression pistons, a mild Port and polish, Stainless Steel valves, remove the balance shafts, and maybe the LZM cams. Then get everything balanced and drop in that engine. Hopefully run Consistent 14's and maybe some mid or even low 14's on a good day

the thing is u need ecu work for all that... the stock ecu will not like lzm cams and and P&P head together

The computer doesn't even like the LZN cams alone LOL

Saturday, January 07, 2006 3:02 PM
the ECU will like any stage 2 cam if you know how to fool it into liking them

The one, the only, ME.
Saturday, January 07, 2006 3:10 PM
04eco (theN/Aautoone) wrote:the ECU will like any stage 2 cam if you know how to fool it into liking them

I guess to Roy

ECU = Wife
Cams = Mistress

Now you just gotta find a way to have both at the same time lol

Saturday, January 07, 2006 3:12 PM
its not hard to get the 2 to work together and like one another

The one, the only, ME.
Saturday, January 07, 2006 3:54 PM
I said MAYBE the LZM cams!!! lol

Besides it will be nice to be able to leave my exhaust as is after I drop in a slightly built motor. I already have the supporting mods.

and it shouldn't cost TOO much

Bored and honed .020 over --------------------------$180 (quoted)
Getting the crank turned-------------------------------$99 (quoted)
Pistons ----------------------------------------------------$500 (guestimate)
Rods--------------------------------------------------------$300
Valves------------------------------------------------------$200
getting the valves installed---------------------------$??
Comestic N/A gasket----------------------------------$89
New bearing ---------------------------------------------$?? (not too much)
Total $1270 (about)

I might try to to the port and Polish myself. If not add some more $$$ And everything will be forged! except the crank.

2004 Cavalier
13.2@105........
Mods...
BFG Drag Radials
Saab Turbo kit
2.5 exhaust, w/cutout
Spec Stage 2+ Clutch
Saturday, January 07, 2006 4:16 PM
See, I'd love to go turbo... and I know the Ecotec's are practically designed for boost... I think in the end I'm going to probably end up going with a supercharger setup... maybe when I get a real job making real money... I just feel like superchargers are a bit more reliable and easier to work with... just from what I've always heard. I have heard they're more expensive for the gains, though... anyone know what kind of gains people should expect with the GM Supercharger setup due out soon? How much boost it's running?

Saturday, January 07, 2006 4:24 PM
honestly i would think that if they offer a reflash it should be more then what the cobalt is pushing for the fact the cobalt is less cubic inches and les compression ratio

The one, the only, ME.
Saturday, January 07, 2006 4:51 PM
Tim, I can help you piece together a turbo kit. Just tell me what kind of power you're looking for and I'll take care of you. My e-mail is semfikapp@yahoo.com if you'd like to learn more about what I offer. Also, Brandoson is in the middle of creating what will be one of the more affordable turbo kits, so you can talk to him too.

Saab Turbo Project... 2006
Saturday, January 07, 2006 5:03 PM
adam i just noticed your post about labor costs, i can work on my own car and the other things liek boring and balancing arent that terrible and noone ever said horsepower is cheap especially when you build an N/A motor thatll beat or keep with a boosted one lol

The one, the only, ME.
Saturday, January 07, 2006 5:21 PM
Wiseco only

Saturday, January 07, 2006 9:30 PM
I kinda wanted to go with JE. Cause I heard they are better than Wiseco.

2004 Cavalier
13.2@105........
Mods...
BFG Drag Radials
Saab Turbo kit
2.5 exhaust, w/cutout
Spec Stage 2+ Clutch
Saturday, January 07, 2006 9:38 PM
ECOTEC wrote:I kinda wanted to go with JE. Cause I heard they are better than Wiseco.

Whoever told you that is giving their opinion. Fact is that Wiseco pistons are strong and great pistons to use.

Saturday, January 07, 2006 10:20 PM
Wiseco is great....but JE is a little better for higher HP applications. At least from what I've seen

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Saturday, January 07, 2006 11:02 PM
I'm the customer that has a set of 11:1 pistons on order... why? Cause its fun.

Anyone can slap on a turbo kit and go fast, it takes someone special to run a high compression with huge cams and go beat on boosted cars... sure, I have a kick nitrous system sitting here that didnt cost much less than a "budget" turbo setup but its different. All you boosted guys need a lesson or two taught to ya, there is more than one way to make power and it doesnt always involve your wife/gf's hairdrier.

Whats this setup gonna cost? Well, more than my car is worth. But its totally worth it to me.

That parts list looks pretty good, add in the cost of "bolt-ons" such as a custom made header (the bill's header is the only thing that comes close to being decent for this kinda setup), a fabbed aluminum manifold, and a 75mm tb and it sky rockets, add in the cost of a standalone, be prepared to ebay your first born. You are forgetting some stuff, better valvesprings, locks, retainers, cams, GM gears, etc... an n/a motor needs to spin to make stupid horsepower, we figure my setup will peak power around 7500 and spin safely to about 8000.

ECOTEC, hit me up on AIM sometime...

Saturday, January 07, 2006 11:23 PM
Owen Stampflee wrote:I'm the customer that has a set of 11:1 pistons on order... why? Cause its fun.

Anyone can slap on a turbo kit and go fast, it takes someone special to run a high compression with huge cams and go beat on boosted cars... sure, I have a kick nitrous system sitting here that didnt cost much less than a "budget" turbo setup but its different. All you boosted guys need a lesson or two taught to ya, there is more than one way to make power and it doesnt always involve your wife/gf's hairdrier.

Whats this setup gonna cost? Well, more than my car is worth. But its totally worth it to me.

That parts list looks pretty good, add in the cost of "bolt-ons" such as a custom made header (the bill's header is the only thing that comes close to being decent for this kinda setup), a fabbed aluminum manifold, and a 75mm tb and it sky rockets, add in the cost of a standalone, be prepared to ebay your first born. You are forgetting some stuff, better valvesprings, locks, retainers, cams, GM gears, etc... an n/a motor needs to spin to make stupid horsepower, we figure my setup will peak power around 7500 and spin safely to about 8000.

ECOTEC, hit me up on AIM sometime...

Anyone can do it? Sure...and the same thing can go for someone putting pistons & rods in their car. Anyone can do anything basically but there is reason why people go for boost and not stay N/A. Like said before, the HP to Money ratio is much different.

As far as your budget turbo theory, the people who do the "budget turbo" won't last long because they had cut corners in an specific area more than likely. People like hypsy and soon to be myself, we spent a good amount of money on all the necessary parts and have proper setups.

In my opinion, I doubt you will teach any guy with a proper turbo ecotec setup running even a decent amount of PSI a lesson with 11:1 compression pistons and "big cams".

If Roy finishes what he says he's gonna do, I bet that I will still beat him on stock internals...yes...that's a challenge

Sunday, January 08, 2006 12:25 PM
Quote:

Bored and honed .020 over --------------------------$180 (quoted)
Getting the crank turned-------------------------------$99 (quoted)
Pistons ----------------------------------------------------$500 (guestimate)
Rods--------------------------------------------------------$300
Valves------------------------------------------------------$200
getting the valves installed---------------------------$??
Comestic N/A gasket----------------------------------$89
New bearing ---------------------------------------------$?? (not too much)
Total $1270 (about)

might wanna add springs and retainers in that if u plan on reving high... and i got a quote from ferrea and its around 22 a spring and roughly 19 a retainer.. u need 16 of each. dont forget the cams.. figure another 400-500 for those.. so between the cams and valve train your about another grand.. plus dont forget u need somethign to get around the ecu.

not trying to argue with you or anything, just hoping you realizing everthing u need.

Sunday, January 08, 2006 12:37 PM
hypsy(the12secondone) wrote:Wiseco is great....but JE is a little better for higher HP applications. At least from what I've seen

Quote:

I kinda wanted to go with JE. Cause I heard they are better than Wiseco.

Funny how the company that owns Wiseco also owns JE eh?

Sunday, January 08, 2006 1:09 PM
NJHK, did you not see the bit about a nitrous system that didnt cost a whole lot less than a turbo kit?!

Sunday, January 08, 2006 1:40 PM
An all motor 250whp will beat a turbo 250whp anyday.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2208703
Sunday, January 08, 2006 2:01 PM
Quote:

An all motor 250whp will beat a turbo 250whp anyday

not really.... u wont have near as much torque and power through the entire rpms as u will with a turbo...

Sunday, January 08, 2006 2:03 PM
Owen Stampflee wrote:NJHK, did you not see the bit about a nitrous system that didnt cost a whole lot less than a turbo kit?!

I didn't mention that because this supposed to be an discussion about all motor vs boost, not all motor with some nitrous vs boost.

Sunday, January 08, 2006 2:07 PM
John H [Cavalierkid wrote:]
Quote:

An all motor 250whp will beat a turbo 250whp anyday

not really.... u wont have near as much torque and power through the entire rpms as u will with a turbo...

Bingo. An extreme all motor car is peaking power in high rpms...usually the higher you rev, the less torque you are displaying (example: RSX Type S - Revs to 8000+ RPMs, 200 HP, 145 lbs of torque).

Sunday, January 08, 2006 2:15 PM
Quote:

NJHK, did you not see the bit about a nitrous system that didnt cost a whole lot less than a turbo kit?!

umm if ur going all motor, usually u have an aggressive all motor cam profile and alot of compression..... thats... um lol pretty much the opposite u want with nitrous for a daily driving car.. theres no way your gonna run a 75 shot on top of 11.1 or 11.5:1 engine on pump fuel. plus with the overlap of a n/a cam, your gonna have nitrous going in when its not suppose to... that would be a bad thing.

Sunday, January 08, 2006 2:16 PM
Actually first of all, with a turbo you will have a lower compression ratio piston wise and you wont get your real power til the turbo hits in.. which is the turbo lag. In that time, you have less power then an all motor becuase an all motor's engine will have a steady and more power across the whole power band then the turbo.

All motor = Strong power band overall.
Turbo = Strong power kicks in after lag.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2208703
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search