Secret Cam sticky. - Page 4 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Secret Cam sticky.
Thursday, June 08, 2006 9:54 PM
i think i need a little help here too. i have a 96 2.4

if i get the intake cam from a 95 2.3L, which exhaust cam do i need?
which lifters do i need?
do i just get new stock gaskets for MY engine?

* * BIG FOR SALE POST * *

Friday, June 09, 2006 3:54 AM
tha_prowler wrote:i think i need a little help here too. i have a 96 2.4

if i get the intake cam from a 95 2.3L, which exhaust cam do i need?
which lifters do i need?
do i just get new stock gaskets for MY engine?

exhaust cam from a 90-94 2.3L
2.4 lifters
Yes, new gaskets from y our 2.4L

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Friday, June 09, 2006 6:59 AM
You can get the exhaust cam you need from autozone for $113. It will be new. As far as gaskets etc..... Well I would go based off how many miles you have over 50k consider it, over 75k would. Truly when doing the cam swap if you do not take the cam towers off the only real gaskets to worry about are the rubber ones in between the upper and lower cam tower. They are truly made well from the factory and hold up well, not really needing replace. Of course if you are doing it and see something (gasket wise, or anything else) that is broke, torn, then do replace it.

FU Tuning

Friday, June 09, 2006 5:07 PM
thanx whitecavy. i thought i needed the 2.3 lifters...how come i need to replace the stock ones with new stock ones?

Friday, June 09, 2006 5:46 PM
^^ Your welcome..

Well it depends on how many miles you have on your car now once you replace the cams.. I guess the reason would be because so the cams could have a brand new mating surface? Not sure, but people do it.. I bought brand new Clevite lifters for mine instead of the GM oem ones.. I saved about 200.00 dollars in doin that..

306 TQ
Friday, June 09, 2006 7:30 PM
The reason for new lifter (if you do it) is because the cam lobes make a mark on the lifters (you might not never see it), new cam new lifter so they wear together. I have done this cam swap about 4-5 times never replace the lifters. Most of these motors were 50k or less.
The part number for the exhaust cam new from autozone is MC832. It is a melling cam.

FU Tuning

Friday, June 09, 2006 11:36 PM
this engine has about 40k on it. you say you havn't ever replaced em on urs, maybe mine wont need em. unless they are def suggested. it sounds like a good idea to get new ones, but it would be cheaper

o, how are Clevite lifters any different?

Monday, June 12, 2006 10:15 PM
So I am confused. If I am going to be putting these cams into my 96 2.4 do I need the exhaust H.O housing and lifters or not?
Monday, June 12, 2006 11:52 PM
people please stop getting the secret cam swap confused, the secret cam swap in NO way needs H.O. cams or towers or lifters from the 2.3 H.O. (useing these items would be for a different swap consisting of a whole new setup, which consists of lots of more work to make work)
the secret cam swap uses 2.3 cams (non h.o.) one having to be from a 95 (for intake with hex drive for powerstearing)

people please read the writup in the begining of this sticky and stop asking questions that could be answered with 2 seconds of your own reading time

as for people saying you have to get new lifters.. you are mistaken and are turning people in the wrong direction. if you are picking up new cams yes you spent the money just spend more and get lifters but if you are picking up used cams whats the point your putting used cams in ..im sure used lifters are not going to matter that much(unless your lifters look worn or scarred) but to each his own, my motor with 144k miles had nothing wrong with the lifters and each was inspected and no warning signs to make me want new ones so i stuck with the used ones

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 3:02 PM
I was told by the company building my crate engine that using HO cams on an automatic tranny is not a good idea, because the auto tranny cant handel the higher rpm torque levels and it would be slugish in low end driving to quote them. Any guys have secret cams on an auto tranny? The company also told me that they could do the ho intake swap for me, so i guess some parts are ok and some arent... idk... can anyone clarify any of this?
Tuesday, June 13, 2006 3:13 PM
twizt3d wrote:I was told by the company building my crate engine that using HO cams on an automatic tranny is not a good idea, because the auto tranny cant handel the higher rpm torque levels and it would be slugish in low end driving to quote them. Any guys have secret cams on an auto tranny? The company also told me that they could do the ho intake swap for me, so i guess some parts are ok and some arent... idk... can anyone clarify any of this?

wow did you not read what i just posted above you, the secret cam swap does NOT use H.O. cams!!!! and i have the secret cam swap done on my auto it is fine. if you were doing the h.o. cam swap you wouldnt reach the powerband with the cams on the stock rev-limiter, if raising the rev-limiter was an option id prob advise not to do it on an auto because they are not known to handle much more power than stock

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 3:31 PM
gmanz24 wrote:wow did you not read what i just posted above you, the secret cam swap does NOT use H.O. cams!!!! and i have the secret cam swap done on my auto it is fine. if you were doing the h.o. cam swap you wouldnt reach the powerband with the cams on the stock rev-limiter, if raising the rev-limiter was an option id prob advise not to do it on an auto because they are not known to handle much more power than stock

wow did you not re read what i posted, I said that the company told me not to used HO cams, i didnt say that the secret cam swap used ho cams, I asked the company about doing some ho conversions and they advised against it because i have an auto tranny. Then I asked if anyone had the secret cam swap on an auto tranny, I know the two are different, I just wondered if it worked or not. and then I said that the company will mod the ho intake for me. All i asked was if anyone has the secret cam swap on auto trannys and if there were any codes, im sorry for not being more clear, but please dont take my head off, of course i read the entire thread before posting.
Tuesday, June 13, 2006 4:05 PM
well im sorry, you just went from sayin a shop said auto+HO cam = no no then said does any one have secret cams on auto hence the anger and misunderstanding im sorry i just hate that soo many newbs get confused over the secret cams and the info that has spred so im just trying to stop the ignorance of all so there is no more confusion. hey man im sorry again for goin off on ya but you gotta understand how mad someone can get when you get post ontop of post askin the same thing that has been answered or yet has been mistold to others

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 4:41 PM
the shop is mantapart, i think they know what their talking about lol, and no worries dude, just wanted to get the heat off my name, im a newb to this board, but im a visiter from v6z24, ive been there for about 2 years i guess.. just didnt want people associating my name with a person that asks repetitive questions, thats all, but again, its all cool
Tuesday, June 13, 2006 6:28 PM
Quote:

the shop is mantapart

Ut oh, he mentioned...........'them'

-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.
Tuesday, June 13, 2006 8:00 PM
Mastin wrote:
Quote:

the shop is mantapart

Ut oh, he mentioned...........'them'

-M

hey leave them alone, Im lazy and dont want to rebuild an engine so im buying one from them and asked about the ho stuff...
Tuesday, June 13, 2006 10:36 PM
All good,
Like any company they do some things well, and other things not so.
Its all relative.

Have fun with the parts.
-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.
Thursday, July 06, 2006 3:19 PM
was on gmpartsdirect.com....looking up the not so SECRET CAMS....and the price went up.....

24574239 intake is now $246.36...

22545390 exhaust is now $238.00....

just thought i'd share....

WHEN I'M GOD, EVERYONE DIES
Saturday, August 05, 2006 8:37 PM
Does anyone run just the intake cam? If so is it worth the mod? Also how does everyone get the housings apart? I just picked up two sets from the JY and will be getting more.

http://members.cardomain.com/vertz24 1998 Z24 Convertible
Wednesday, September 06, 2006 5:40 PM
so sorrey if this is anoying but you can do this swap to any 2.4 twin cam i dont know all the engine lingo you guys use and do you know what the lingo for this engine is.

Thursday, September 07, 2006 12:39 PM
^^ Yes, any 96-02 2.4L... The cams will work with that engine you have there.

306 TQ

Thursday, September 07, 2006 4:55 PM
ya but is the engine i posted a ld9 or what if ya know.

Thursday, September 07, 2006 6:27 PM
Justin&Lisa Barber wrote:ya but is the engine i posted a ld9 or what if ya know.

yes that is a LD9. LD9 is the RPO code GM gave the 2.4L twin cam that is found in a number of GM cars, including the cavi/sunfire

Click the banner to enter the best Quad4 & Twin Cam site on the internet.
Thursday, September 07, 2006 8:57 PM
thanks for the info it was probably a dumb question but if ya dont ask you'll never know thanks alot

Thursday, December 14, 2006 8:20 AM
I originally posted this in a thead concerning the Secret Cam Swap, but felt iw was fitting for thias sticky, so here it is:

According to the information I have available (from NY J-Body & JBO), the stock peak numbers are 155lb-ft @ 2400 & 4400 rpm and 150 hp @ 5600rpm.

DISCLAIMER: All information was derived from the changes on the program only, not comparing the stock numbers to the program's numbers, which would be comparing apples to oranges. The program only does 500 rpm steps, so all info is rounded out to the nearest 500 rpm point. These changes are theoretical only, your changes will vary!

I plugged the stock dimensions into Desktop Dyno to get the closest numbers as possible to the stock dyno graph. (note: I didn't have the stock intake center-line and lobe centers, so I played with these numbers till I got as close as possible to the stock graph. I also had to play with the intake and exhaust manifold designs to get close to the stock numbers.) I was able to get relatively close numbers to the stock graph (slightly over stock peaks to adjust for timing and fuel curves, the program adjusts automatically for best peak numbers, not emissions, fuel economy and longevity.)

Changing only the duration @ .050" and the lift numbers, the peaks did move and there was a loss of low end torque.

The Horsepower peak moved from 5600rpm to 6000rpm and a gain of 9 hp from my program's peak numbers before and after.
As stated before there was a loss of low end torque, from 4500 rpm and below. The torque did increase from 5000 rpm and up(which is why the HP increased). The funny part is the peak torque stayed at 4500 rpm, but dropped 2 lb-ft at peak, according to the programs numbers.

The average loss of torque from 4500 rpm and below, was 4.66 lb-ft. The average gain from 5000 rpm to 7000 rpm was 9.83 lb-ft. The overall average change is +2.83 lb-ft, most of which occurs in the operating band of the motor in race conditions. This means you should be slightly quicker. Remember that average gains will usually result in far better results than peak gains.

As stated above, I only changed the duration and lift numbers for the cams and all the information is on the changes the program stated were made. When using headers, larger TB, increased compression, ported head and any other mod the gain will usually be greater, since the changes would normally help the power band of the cams.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search