(SPLIT) New 3 inch exhaust - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
(SPLIT) New 3 inch exhaust
Friday, July 14, 2006 5:38 PM
-Thread Split- See posts below.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, December 23, 2012 8:55 AM

New 3 inch exhaust
Sunday, December 16, 2012 8:45 AM
I have three inch on my sunfire. Its not getting supercharged though.too expensive. It has a long tube header, high flow catalytic converter, three inch exhaust. unorthodox raceing underdrive pulleys, and a injen tech cold air intake. but my exhaust isn't finished. it stops at like the back of the driver door.Its gonna have a y pipe that goes from 3" to like 2.5 or so. then dual magnaflow fart cans. Unfortunately its pretty ricey but I got the mufflers from a buddy for pretty cheap so oh well.

-Thread Split-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, December 23, 2012 8:55 AM
Re: New 3 inch exhaust
Sunday, December 16, 2012 10:46 AM
g'damn thats some serious money for some piping.... i get that your's 3" but i paid $123 shipped for a 2.5" ebay catback, polished mandrel bent 304 stainless steel. it fit just fine as well. i only had a problem with the brake line bracket on the rear axle rubbing it but a quick smack with the hammer took care of that. sure it sounded like shiz but thats not the point LOL

its not overkill even on an n/a car if its got the engine making the power. LD9s love free flowing exhaust, ive seen it on the dyno.

and to brandon westerfield... why do you say the supercharger is too expensive? m45s can be had for around 1000. i get that its a chunk of change but for what you are getting that is a steal.

It's nice to be injected but I love being blown.
Sunday, December 16, 2012 12:06 PM
Funny part is I run 2.25" and yet run faster than 100% of the people who have posted in this thread so far.

I have a resonator and muffler...

Congrats your loud ass 3" exhaust.

Sunday, December 16, 2012 12:14 PM
i remember when i wasnt cocky....

look thats great your the end all be all and everything but just say you throw a 3" exhaust on it... i bet you it makes a hell of a difference.

Sunday, December 16, 2012 1:04 PM
He's faster than me!

Sunday, December 16, 2012 2:22 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:He's faster than me!

For now...

I've argued abnormally large exhaust til blue in the face. We dont need it.

Also another argument, Aftermarket motor mounts.

Mine are stock.

Sunday, December 16, 2012 4:38 PM
It's also a 6 year old thread that got bumped just to have someone new say that they also have a 3" exhaust...

Sunday, December 16, 2012 6:52 PM
lafonjef wrote:It's also a 6 year old thread that got bumped just to have someone new say that they also have a 3" exhaust...

Awww damn it!!

I got sucked into this. It wasnt my fault.

Die thread, die.

Monday, December 17, 2012 4:13 AM
blackbirdracing wrote:
BuiltNBoosted wrote:He's faster than me!

For now...

I've argued abnormally large exhaust til blue in the face. We dont need it.

Also another argument, Aftermarket motor mounts.

Mine are stock.

There are a lot of reasons that cars run open dump, or open header/headers, large exhaust. Friend of mine's nitrous camaro trapped lower in the 1/4 but had a faster ET with the cutout open, essentially huge exhaust since it dumps sooner.

There is a need for larger exhaust. I wish it was possible for you to swap yours out back to back passes.

Monday, December 17, 2012 6:19 AM
Thats why I has electric cutout...

But i still ran 12s with it closed...

Hence why I still say 95% or more dont need bigger exhaust.

Monday, December 17, 2012 10:09 AM
you are not getting it.

its not about "NEEDING" it.

its about having the max performance you can get. so yes, its a "WANT" but you cant sit there and say it wont make a difference because it does.

Monday, December 17, 2012 11:39 AM
3'' all the way , dyno proved so many times , turbo , supercharged or N/A ... you will make more whp than 2.5'' ... all the time...
Friday, December 21, 2012 6:46 PM
Carl Lavoie wrote:3'' all the way , dyno proved so many times , turbo , supercharged or N/A ... you will make more whp than 2.5'' ... all the time...

I'm not doubting you, but I would like to see some information here. The 2.4L is a high output L4, but I've seen 11.0:1+ compression L4's make less power with 2.5" vs. 2.25". These were Honda's and from a 2.0 DOHC, which wouldn't move as much air, but these are 200+HP motors running high compression and high RPMs.

I just wanna see some hard data!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
1995 Corsica and a bunch of trucks too...
Saturday, December 22, 2012 1:16 AM
You loose exhaust velocity if you go to big with your exhaust which will hurt performance exspecially on a turbo car.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Saturday, December 22, 2012 5:58 AM
Rob Dotterer wrote:You loose exhaust velocity if you go to big with your exhaust which will hurt performance exspecially on a turbo car.

myth.

Saturday, December 22, 2012 7:26 PM
I've got 3" and aftermarket mounts.......

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Saturday, December 22, 2012 8:52 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:
Rob Dotterer wrote:You loose exhaust velocity if you go to big with your exhaust which will hurt performance exspecially on a turbo car.

myth.

If you go to be and loose exhaust flow, meaning the gasses in the exhaust will cool too quickly and slow which then will allow pulses from the cylinder to travel down the exhaust and back to the engine and cause the exhaust flow to slow down more. If you get the exhaust to a proper size and have it timed right, you can have the exhaust create a scavenging effect when the positive pulse from the engine will travel down the exhaust and back to the cylinder as a negative pulse which will then create a low pressure zone essentially pulling exhaust from the cylinder therefore creating more power.

How is that a myth when its been proven?

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Saturday, December 22, 2012 9:02 PM
Roofy wrote:I've got 3" and aftermarket mounts.......

Well there you have it. I have been proven wrong.

Roofy has gone .020 faster than me. So 3" exhaust and aftermarket mounts must help.

Btw he did it with a 20g and I at the time only had a 16g...

Sunday, December 23, 2012 5:29 AM
Rob Dotterer wrote:
BuiltNBoosted wrote:

myth.

If you go to be and loose exhaust flow, meaning the gasses in the exhaust will cool too quickly and slow which then will allow pulses from the cylinder to travel down the exhaust and back to the engine and cause the exhaust flow to slow down more. If you get the exhaust to a proper size and have it timed right, you can have the exhaust create a scavenging effect when the positive pulse from the engine will travel down the exhaust and back to the cylinder as a negative pulse which will then create a low pressure zone essentially pulling exhaust from the cylinder therefore creating more power.

How is that a myth when its been proven?

because its been brought up a million times. Each time its been shot down. ESPECIALLY for our cars where nobody is truly making high hp.

Of course by your logic, Fetter, running 4" aluminum exhaust out of the driver side fender is SUPER wrong because of 2 things. its 4" piping which is way too big, as well as its only 2 feet of piping which is 1/4 the length of a normal exhaust setup which would leave more room to create backpressure that you speak of. Not to mention all the honda guys, whether its N/A or forced induction running the exhaust out of the hood. Would they be doing it wrong as well?

The myth is that 3" is too big for a car, more so a turbo car. It is a myth that has been proven wrong.

Sunday, December 23, 2012 8:01 AM
lol @ 3" being too big on a turbo car. that is just beyond ridiculous.

i have personally seen an N/A LD9 go from 197whp to 201whp on the dyno going from a full exhaust to just an open header. the LD9's love their exhaust flow. bill's and stan's isuzu performance did a dyno comparison with a magnaflow 2.5" catback vs their 3" catback on an n/a LD9 and it made more power with the 3". want that proof? go to their website and read.

Sunday, December 23, 2012 8:44 AM
Carl Lavoie wrote:3'' all the way , dyno proved so many times , turbo , supercharged or N/A ... you will make more whp than 2.5'' ... all the time...
I have to argue this point...

My original exhaust setup had a ron header with 3" outlet, 3" high flow cat, 3" ypipe to cutout, and to 2.5" reducer running back to an LSJ muffler.

My dyno numbers were identical with the cutout open (effectively giving me a 3" exhaust), as they were with the cutout closed (effectively giving me a 2.5" exhaust).

My cutout existed only for noise, as we found out.

Sunday, December 23, 2012 8:53 AM
Brandon Westerfield wrote:I have three inch on my sunfire. Its not getting supercharged though.too expensive. It has a long tube header, high flow catalytic converter, three inch exhaust. unorthodox raceing underdrive pulleys, and a injen tech cold air intake. but my exhaust isn't finished. it stops at like the back of the driver door.Its gonna have a y pipe that goes from 3" to like 2.5 or so. then dual magnaflow fart cans. Unfortunately its pretty ricey but I got the mufflers from a buddy for pretty cheap so oh well.
Bumping 6 year old threads, just to say this, is bad... but since I noticed this wayyyy too late, and now there is a discussion, related to, but not directly speaking to the original poster, I am splitting this in to it's own thread like it should have been in the first place.

Sunday, December 23, 2012 10:59 AM

hmm.

I'm curious as to how scavenging works pulling exhaust THROUGH a turbine blade spinning at 140,000+ RPM.

please explain why velocity after the turbo matters to a turbo.

Sunday, December 23, 2012 11:19 AM
I'm with PJ, a turbo likes as little back pressure as possible, scavenging has noting to do with things after the turbo.

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search