Recamendations - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Recamendations
Monday, November 06, 2006 7:05 PM
I need your guess help. I am going to plan on building a "semi built" N/A ecotec engine. My list of things to buy consists of:

Rods
10:1 pistons or maybe 11:1 if it still keeps me in the 93 octane level
patriot stage two head,
stage two comp cam grind
pace setter header
2 1/4" mandrel bend tubing
HP tuners
cometic head gasket
ram air intake
new high flow fuel pump.

Does any one think i should up the injector size? if so what do you think i should go to?

Any thing else im not thinking of that would be considered a bolt on? I have all the mounts already in the car.

Re: Recamendations
Monday, November 06, 2006 7:07 PM
dang i forgot on my list spec flywheel
spec stage two clutch
lsd insert

Monday, November 06, 2006 8:17 PM
I'd stick with 10:1 compression, if you go higher you may run into head gasket problems cause of hot spots in the head. Patriot stage 2 head... thats up to you, I've made my personal opinion known about it, in the F-body world they don't have greatest reputation, some people don't liek them some people love them, IMO the stage 2 with valve train and everything not worth it. The to upgrade a bare head to full valvetrain is relatvely small, small enough in factthat the cost for the parts alone doesn't make it profitable, they would be selling it for a lose.... what does that tell you about the quality of the valvetrain? You be the judge. For an N/A driver you should be fine, unfortunely it doesn't seem liek there much options for ecotec cylinder heads. I would add a TB to your list as well as pulleys. MSD is a nice investment if you wanna spring for the cost of it, its not cheap. While the engines out you may want to look into the level zero motorsports balance shaft delete kit. Flywheel you may or may not want, depends on what you plan on doing with the car. for drag racing and daily driving IMO its not the best idea, the rpms are gonna drop alot faster in between shifts which can actually hurt your 1/4 miles times as well as making starting froma stop with a manual trans a bit tricky, but it will make then engine rev faster.

As for injecor, PJ has been messing with N/A tuning and found that stock fuel system is to small even for N/A. you may be fine with just injectors or just a fuel pump, I dought you'll need both but it can't hurt, rather have the fuel system not have to work hard to keep then strain the system.

Tuesday, November 07, 2006 4:45 AM
Hopefully some one can help a little more.

For the [patriot head. you think i should call patriot, get the stage two specs head with out getting the valve train and loading it up with Ferrea dual valves springs, and Ferrea 1mm over bore valves? Or call it good, say paying 2 grand for cnc head and valve train when my stock one might work just as good? I really want to look into the head more so some one please help me out!

Can I do everything MSD does with HPtuners?

Any one know were to find a sligtly larger then stock Throttle body?

I had no clue thats what the flywheel did ... thats a no go for me... i hate how it like dropps to all hell when im shifting.
Do you think a stage two clutch is goingt o be over kill? or should i go with a stage one?

i was looking into the Blazer fuel pump and possibly brown tops? i need to look into fueling again.

If any one more can help and give opinions on this stuff please do!

Tuesday, April 03, 2007 9:03 PM
rawkfist wrote:Hopefully some one can help a little more.

For the [patriot head. you think i should call patriot, get the stage two specs head with out getting the valve train and loading it up with Ferrea dual valves springs, and Ferrea 1mm over bore valves? Or call it good, say paying 2 grand for cnc head and valve train when my stock one might work just as good? I really want to look into the head more so some one please help me out!

I'm kind of at odds with darkstars on this one, the patriot head everyone pretty much agrees is a good peice, but the debate rages on about the valvetrain. I got it because I was in a pinch and needed the car back on the road. It comes assembled, so its a headswap away from being running. If you're goal is just going to be staying n/a, then it won't be that bad. If you're going to be pushing a LOT of power (over 300) then a stage 2 bare would be good with ferrea stuff for the sake of safety. I know my next head is going to be stuffed with some titanium and ferrea bits.
Quote:

Can I do everything MSD does with HPtuners?

nope, not in the least. An MSD 6212 box with HPT gives you pretty much complete control over your ignition however.

Quote:

Any one know were to find a sligtly larger then stock Throttle body?

Fred at SMG autosports offers one.. I'm not sure but I remember Hypsy at TeamVision Racing mentioning something about a TB too
darkstars wrote:
Flywheel you may or may not want, depends on what you plan on doing with the car. for drag racing and daily driving IMO its not the best idea, the rpms are gonna drop alot faster in between shifts which can actually hurt your 1/4 miles times as well as making starting froma stop with a manual trans a bit tricky, but it will make then engine rev faster.

Quote:

I had no clue thats what the flywheel did ... thats a no go for me... i hate how it like dropps to all hell when im shifting.
Do you think a stage two clutch is goingt o be over kill? or should i go with a stage one?

as many times as I hear this argument, I still think its silly. I've had a lightened flywheel since I put the eco in my car and I love it. I don't notice any "uncontrollable loss of RPM inbetween shifts".

I admit however, the car IS a bit trickier to get moving with a light flywheel and grabby clutch, but if you're a decent driver you get used to it. When I shift I don't lose any revs at all. If you shift fast enough, you'll catch it just fine. In fact, I think the fidanza flywheel is a big reason why my car was running 14.9 @ 90mph with an intake and catback exhaust
Quote:

i was looking into the Blazer fuel pump and possibly brown tops? i need to look into fueling again.

unless you're going turbo, I wouldn't worry about the pump.. the injectors def need to be upgraded to 330cc AT LEAST right off the bat. Stockers are maxed out the instant you try to tune for a proper air/fuel ratio

Quote:

If any one more can help and give opinions on this stuff please do!

hopefully I helped

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search