Secret Cam sticky. - Page 5 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Secret Cam sticky.
Thursday, December 14, 2006 1:04 PM
very nice info.

Check out my CARDOMAIN page

Thursday, December 14, 2006 1:14 PM
Chris Fontana wrote:Does anyone run just the intake cam? If so is it worth the mod? Also how does everyone get the housings apart? I just picked up two sets from the JY and will be getting more.

You are betterof running just exhaust rather than just the intake you will not get that much out of it may be 1-2HP.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Saturday, January 20, 2007 12:31 PM
Ok this may be stupid but car-part.com doesn't differentiate between 95 cavalier 2.3L intake cam and the 95 grand am intake cam 2.3L. Is there a difference between them, when being used for the secret cam's?

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Monday, January 22, 2007 12:17 PM
i was also looking for a cam, im going to have a T3/T4 turbo, 0.030oversize pistons, ect. so i need a bigger cam, i was looking @ manta parts rally i think itt was cams, and for that all the other valvetrain components i need, anyone know what will work? the motor is a sunbird 2.0L OHC non-turbo, and i also plan to convert it to MPFI, thanks

"Hondas are like tampons, every pussy has one!!!"
Sunday, January 28, 2007 4:32 PM
do you have to change the housings to when doing this for the 375 lift?
Sunday, February 11, 2007 1:52 PM
No you don't have to change the housing for the lift on the secret cams, nor the HO cams. You have to change housings on the HO and W41 cams because the lifters are bigger on those cams then the stock LD9 ones. HO ones are 35mm and the LD9 ones are 33mm. You can easily machine the LD9 ones to accept the 35mm HO ones.

Anyone know the answer to my question?
I found a 95 Grand Am at the junk yard. It has the LO intake mani but the power steering looks like my LD9 set up so I am thinking it will work as the intake cam for the secret cams. Is this true?

Monday, February 12, 2007 1:38 PM
thanks shawn M.
Monday, February 12, 2007 7:43 PM
Shawn McKenzie wrote:No you don't have to change the housing for the lift on the secret cams, nor the HO cams. You have to change housings on the HO and W41 cams because the lifters are bigger on those cams then the stock LD9 ones. HO ones are 35mm and the LD9 ones are 33mm. You can easily machine the LD9 ones to accept the 35mm HO ones.

Anyone know the answer to my question?
I found a 95 Grand Am at the junk yard. It has the LO intake mani but the power steering looks like my LD9 set up so I am thinking it will work as the intake cam for the secret cams. Is this true?

if it is a 95 2.3 intake cam you are good to go.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 8:26 AM
Thanks, now it just needs to stop raining so i can go get it.

Monday, June 11, 2007 6:48 PM
Sorry guys... this may have been previously answered but scouring through 5 pages of material left me a little confused. I have a head from the 2.3 Quad 4 motor out of a 95 cavy. Can i use BOTH the intake/exhaust cams? or are you sayin i can only use the intake and buy the exhaust cam from a different motor separately? Which ones do i need specifically if i cant use both from the head? Im prolly gonna do the swap sometime mid-late july, so ive got some time to get all the stuff needed.

Which of the following specs are for the quad4?

1995 Cam Specs
200 degrees @ .050" with .360" lift for the intake
200 degrees @ .050" with .360" lift for the exhaust

LD2 (1990+) Cam Specs
200 degrees @ .050" with .375" lift for the intake
200 degrees @ .050" with .375" lift for the exhaust

Im quite confused, and i apologize once again in advance for my nagging... but if someone could clarify this for me, it would be appreciated.

Cheers!
Tuesday, June 12, 2007 12:21 AM
You can use both of the 1995 cams with no modification. However the "secret Cams" use the intake cam from the 1995 motor and the LD2 (1990+) exhaust cam. The reason for the different exhaust cam is because of the larger lift, which you can use no problem on a stock motor. So why not use the "better" cam while your at it.

I hope this helped. Someone else will chime in if I lead you astray.

Shawn M.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 4:46 AM
Thanks Shawn! I appreciate the response and now i think i understand what you're saying. Essentially, the higher lift on the LD2 motor cams allows for better flow than with the 1995 motor. If i was to use both cams from the 95, with the 0.360 lift ratings, would i expect to see any increase in power? or would the swap be almost useless without the higher lift on the exhaust?

One more thing, has anyone run into any emissions problems after doin this? ive got mine coming up, and im not sure if i should get it tested before or after... even tho it will probably fail either way . I posted something on this a while ago, still havent been able to solve the problem. Ah well...
Tuesday, June 12, 2007 9:09 AM
you dont use both cams from the 95, the exhaust cam is almost the same as stock. The reason for the intake came if for the Cam sensor and power steering drive. i would purchase a new exhaust cam from Autozone because if the junk yard or you look at the wrong car you can get the wrong exhuast cam. If you look at the first post i did 95 cam is .360" lift for the exhaust and 90+ LD2 375" lift for the exhaust. 90-94 should be really what you need 90+ did not mean past 1994.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 1:01 AM
The secret cams run on your stock computer so it shouldn't make you fail emissions. Like Mylife75 said the stock 95 exhaust is pretty much the same as what you already got, thus the reason for the larger lift LD2 exhaust cam. Good luck.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 4:55 AM
Thanks guys for your help! Im not sure now if im going to do the swap, i found a nice set of rims dirt cheap, may end up spending the money on those instead... we'll see, i'll let you know how it turns out if i do! Cheers!
Wednesday, June 27, 2007 2:15 PM
Well guys ive read all this info and now i have a few questions. I talked to a mechanic i know about installation and he said its a royal pain. Probably a 8-10 hr job. Is this true? I would like to replace everything while im in there (tensioners, water pump, gaskets etc.). My car is a 99Z with 78k miles. Runs like a dream, no leaks etc but i like to do stuff right.

Are you guys doing this swap yourself? Ive built motors (small block chevy, ole 96 2.2) but never a DOHC. Are you having shops do this swap? Are you doing this swap yourself? How long did it take? How much total did you spend in parts?? Thanks guys...

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 2:34 PM
no, he is wrong.

The swap includes: (note, turn engine 90 degrees odd TDC, so all the pistons are down, and risk of damaging a valve is out)
-remove plastic shiels to gain access to the passenger bottom of engine
-support lower passenger side with a jack
-remove upper motor mount
-move coolant resivour (unhooked 2 lines)
-remove belt
-pull the crank pulley off (puller)
-remove the side cover (20-25 10mm bolts and 3 nuts)
-remove chain and exhaust timing gear
-unbold the whole side cover from the block (13-15 bolts 10,13mm)
-remove IDI cover (unhook ignition plug)
-remove the top 10 bolts on the cam housing carrier
-replace cam
-reverse process (with the exception of reseting the chain tensioner and you need to time the engine)

tools needed:
-pliers
-jack
-3/8" ractchet and 6" extension
-10,13,15mm sockets (I prefer deep when I get to the chain tensionor and the tensionor pivot)
-15mm wrench to reinstall belt
-pulley puller.

Should take about 2 hours, maybe 3-4 if it is your first time. In 8 hours you can easily do a head gasket, cams, water pump, test drive, and get half loaded.

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 2:37 PM
Dang, mechanics are HUGE tit bags!! They whine and cry about stuff being so hard when in reality its not THAT hard. I would conisder myself a shadetree mechanic but its alot easier to do when you have the basic steps. I really appreciate it! Now if i can find the freaking cams!!

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 6:20 PM
Ummm, im not sure what you guys are talking about... but the cam swap on the LD9 is not a simple procedure at all? You make it sound simple with your easy to follow "guidlines" (ie: remove the timing chain cover)...yeah...GOOD LUCK getting that done without getting the motor hoisted. How can you expect to release the timing chain tensioner or pull the crank pulley when you cant even get a ratchet or wrench down beside the engine? Ive done motor swaps on these cars and its not an easy feat. Your mechanic was right when he said its an 8-10 hour job, and my guess is that is if HE is doing it and not yourself. If you plan on doing it, get a set of air tools to make the job quicker because some of the bolts will be VERY tough to remove and will take you forever. I could be wrong and may possibly be taking the long route by hoisting the motor (which also generally means you need to dismount the axles/driveshafts, etc... or if you have an automatic you can unbolt from the transmission) but seriously, i cant think of a simpler way of doing it. And im sorry, but 2 hours for a cam swap?! Thats a little optomistic if you ask me. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but i dont want people to give you false hope without hearing the other side of the story. Maybe they can do it in two hours, maybe they take shortcuts or have all their bolts coated with anti-seize compound. Maybe im just not a quick worker - either way...expect this to be a tough job that will take some time. There is a reason mechanics charge like 1200$ to do a water pump and timing chain... the parts for those are about 200$ total, the labour is what costs. If you plan on doing it, good luck to you and i hope it works out, but i seriously think you should consider the options and really think about what it is your going to be tackling before just assuming that this kind of job can be done on a saturday afternoon. Good luck bud. Any questions, feel free to email me. Cheers!
Thursday, June 28, 2007 5:55 AM
I have done a complete engine R/R with changing water pump, cams, head gasket, and swapped all accessories over (auto tranny) in about 10 hours with hour lunch break. I did this at home with a 3/8" air ratchet and an engine hoist.

you can easily get at all the bolts by simply jacking the engine up about 4-5". I will be pulling the side cover on my car in 7 days to fix an oil leak. I can take photo's and show you how it is done.

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Thursday, June 28, 2007 6:01 AM
www.car-parts.com

for the cams, just call a couple of the wreckers and make sure to get the right ones, I paid $75 USD shipped for both. As for extra parts needed, just be careful not to damage any seals or gaskets, and consider the use of "copper seal" or other sealant when reinstalling the side cover.

Ensure the engine is stone cold before removing any bolts out of aluminum, and make sure to torque the bolts back into the aluminum,

Thursday, June 28, 2007 2:35 PM
Okay...sounds good.

Josh, i seriously doubt you need to basically pull the motor out. If you do....well, i believe that your the only one that does. Im sure its easier but in the long run, its totally not quicker. I put my 2.2 together back in the car, wasnt a bigge (replaced a piston and rod) and from start to finish it took me roughly 7 hours. I know a 2.2 is way simpler than a dohc but i bet i can figure it out.

I think i found the cams for 100 shipped. I will see how that goes!!

Thursday, June 28, 2007 4:47 PM
Well, like i said before... i may take the long route in doing things (pulling the motor, etc...) but thats mainly because i havent really had anyone to show me how to do it differently. I know that you can jack the motor up using a common car jack and a few blocks of wood, but i wasnt sure if i would be able to get it high enough still to fit the tools in down the side. I didnt mean to sound pessimistic and all in the last response, i was just trying to be a little realistic. If you have never done motor work on a 2.4, i didnt want you to think that its easy. Thats all. I didnt want you to get the wrong impression, and go start something thinking you will be done in a few hours and then getting all pissed off...which is something i tend to do when things take too long and i begin to get frustrated. You seem to know alot about cars - i was checkin out yer dragged S10 and it sounds like you've spent some serious time and energy building a quick car, so the 2.4 shouldnt be too much of a challenge for you, especially if you have all the tools handy and arent afriad of getting grease in your nails like i am Good luck brother, let us know how it all turns out! Cheers!
Friday, June 29, 2007 2:15 PM
Hey its all good. I appreciate your opinion, i really do. I mean, in all reality he did make it sound like its an easy job. I dont believe it to be "easy" but i know its not super hard. Stuffing a small block chevy into something that came with a 4 cylinder....THATS HARD! LoL

I plan on doing it but im guessing it to be around a 3-5 hour job for me. Im going to take my time and do it right. Might as well replace everything while i have the side off anyways. Do our timing chains "wear" or "stretch" like other motors? I only have 78k on mine but i didnt know if it would be wise to go ahead and replace it all. Please let me know becuase im buying the cams this week. I will pick up the water pump and other stuff at my local parts store.

I HOPE I WILL LIKE THIS MOD!! Mine is a 99Z 4speed......hope it get the full effect with mine being an Auto (with B&M shiftplus).

Am i really going to notice the car being quicker??

Monday, July 02, 2007 2:09 PM
Well, I bought the cams. Guess i need to go gather up a few gaskets, water pump and anything else i can remember.

I also bought a Chilton manual (couldnt find a haynes!) and tried researching a lil on it. I sure wish someone that has done this had a "write up" on how to do it. I know the basic concept but dang, one tooth off and its toast!!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search