96' LD9 Performance Heads & Cams - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
96' LD9 Performance Heads & Cams
Sunday, July 22, 2007 12:52 PM
Here is another question...I am in the process of getting a parts list together for an engine build. Right now the list is as follows:

1) JBP 4340 Forged Steel 84mm Crankshaft (jbodyperformance.com)
2) Eagle 2.4L H-Beam Balanced Rods (Carcustoms.com)
3) Wiesco Forged Pistons 9:1CR .020 Overbore (Carcustioms.com)
4) ARP Head Studs & Main Studs (Carcustoms.com)
5) Venom High-Flow Fuel Rail (Horsepowerfreaks.com)
6) Venom Fuel Pressure Reg. (Horsepowerfreaks.com)
7) Venom High-Flow Fuel Pump (Horsepowerfreaks.com)
8) Venom High-Flow Injectors (Horsepowerfreaks.com)
9) Venom High-Flow Intake Manifold (Horsepowerfreaks.com)
10) RSM Z-Spec 62mm Throttle Body (Z-Spec.com) Already own
11) RK Sport 4-2-1 Exhaust Header (Gravanatuning.com)
12) Thermal Cat Back Stainless Steel Exhaust (Gravanatuning.com)
13) Cometic Multi Layer Steel Head Gasket (turbotechracing.com
14) Fidanza 198221 Lightweight Billet Aluminum Flywheel (Gravanatuning.com)
15) Phantom LSD (nopionline.com) Don't know of any other LSD to fit the 96'

Now I know about all the ignition products that are needed, but my biggest question is Performance / Race Heads and cams.

Which Head (unless there are others that I do not know of):
1) JBP Head at a steep $3,733.43 (which include the weisco pistons)
2) Induction Dynamics Full race head with bench test results at $2,615.00
3) Mantapart Mild street head at $1,300.00 (This one scares me because of their reputation)

Which Cam (unless there are others that I do not know of):
1) JBP 2.4L LD9 Stage 2 Performance Camshafts at $745.83 + JBP Modified 2.4L High Revolution Lifters at $406.50 = $1,152.33
2) Level Zero Motorsports 2.4L LD9 stage 2 performance cams at $499.00 + Lifters needed...
3) Mantapart Mild Sport Camshaft & Lifters $750.00 (Once again this one scares me, because of the their reputation)

I thank anyone who can assist me in this....

Chris

Re: 96' LD9 Performance Heads & Cams
Sunday, July 22, 2007 1:56 PM
well whatever you do stay away from mantapart. they have crappy customer service, and they take there good old time shipping out parts to you.

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Sunday, July 22, 2007 2:31 PM
Unless you have some specialized purpose for it, the fuel rail is pointless.

You're missing something to tune with. If you get HPT, MS or any other fuel management, you won't need the fuel pressure regulator either. And a wideband o2 sensor/gauge is a must when tuning.

You can get the Team Green LSD insert from Brian (SpeedracerZ). To my understanding, it is essentially the same only with higher spring rates to handle a little higher horsepower. I have yet to install mine, so I can't provide any personal input on it, but it seems just about everyone who has one likes it.

Are there no shops around you who could do a P&P and 3 angle valve job? I'm sure you could get everything done with the same results for a lot cheaper. Or you can do a search on the 086 head.

If this is a turbo motor you are building, I would definately look into getting the high output cams. They will outperform every one of those cams you just listed. They are now available through Parts America (AdvanceAutoparts.com), and to get them to work for your car, it would cost less than half the price of those other cams. I would definately search on how to make these work for your LD9.

-

"Youth in Asia"...I don't see anything wrong with that.
Sunday, July 22, 2007 4:55 PM
what do you use for a intake manifold and gasket after a port? and what kinda gains can you expect from a p&P and 3 angle valve job?

Sunday, July 22, 2007 5:37 PM
Brian,
Thanks for the input. I know about the HPT & MS, but never really did any research on this. What vendor do you recommend I should get this through. I heard about the Team Green unit, but thought it was the same as the Phantom LSD (with spring upgrade). I will check Team Green out too. I am in Naples Florida. There are no real speed shops down here unless I want to find the local Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, and Bentley performance shop. I will look around to see who is available. Once again thank you.....

Chris
Sunday, July 22, 2007 9:55 PM
^^^ Email us we can put together a package deal for you. Just include the parts we carry on www.TurboTechRacing.com in the email, and all the compeditors prices, we will price match or beat them

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Monday, July 23, 2007 7:51 AM
Chris Amisano wrote:Brian,
Thanks for the input. I know about the HPT & MS, but never really did any research on this. What vendor do you recommend I should get this through. I heard about the Team Green unit, but thought it was the same as the Phantom LSD (with spring upgrade). I will check Team Green out too. I am in Naples Florida. There are no real speed shops down here unless I want to find the local Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, and Bentley performance shop. I will look around to see who is available. Once again thank you.....

Chris

HPT = HPtuners.com
MS or MS-II can be bought from numerous online vendors. Many people (including myself) buy from DIYautotune.com

I am pretty sure you are correct on the Team Green insert. You can ask Brian himself if you would like a guaranteed answer

Also, I just noticed that you included a header. Does that mean this is going to be strictly a N/A or supercharged motor or is it just temporary until you put a turbo on? The reason I ask that is because you included pistons with a lower than stock compression ratio. Usually you want to increase the compression ratio on a N/A motor or run around stock (even a little higher) if you have the M45 supercharger (a stock 96' ld9 is 9.5:1).

-

"Youth in Asia"...I don't see anything wrong with that.
Wednesday, July 25, 2007 7:05 AM
Brian,

I have not decided on N/A or Forced Induction. I would prefer building a bullet proof motor that I can through forced induction on if I feel like it. The c/r is a misprint, I believe it is 9.5:1
I would not have a problem going 10:1 or 10.5:1 but if I then decide to place a turbo on there, wouldn't the compression be to high. I have a 96' I do not know of a supercharger that fits this motor except the RSM (now Z-Spec). So it would probably be a turbo, if I ever decide to go forced induction.

Thank you for your advice and knowledge....
Wednesday, July 25, 2007 7:13 AM
Jacob Smith wrote:what do you use for a intake manifold and gasket after a port? and what kinda gains can you expect from a p&P and 3 angle valve job?

stock already has a 3 angle valve job, just have that cleaned up and ur done.

as for buying one of those expensive as hell heads, IMO you should just go with a custom flow-benched port job from somewhere local to you, there is a guy on here that goes to wyotech and he will port and flow your head for pretty damn cheap, i just cant remember who it is or where the damn post is

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 8:36 AM
Z yaaa I believe this is what you were looking for.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, July 25, 2007 6:04 PM
Well one thing I see wrong with your build is the 4340 forged 84mm stroke crank, it's for an Ecotec motor not an LD9 we have 94mm stroke cranks. That crank won't work in the LD9 other than that listen to the advice given to you above but you're pretty much on the right track.

2000 Z24 5spd header & catback for now.

Thursday, July 26, 2007 7:24 AM
So far it looks like you have been given some good info. It is really important when doing a build to determine if you plan on boosting it or running NA. The 9.5:1 pistons you chose are good for boosting unless you plan high boost/high hp. Tuning might become an issue at that point and you would then need race gas. But that is bridge there is no need to cross until you get there. If you want NA then you will be shooting yourself in the foot by not going with 10:1 pistons now while it is apart. You are right 10:1 compression would be too high for boost unless you were fine with never boosting more than 5psi.

Once agian you need to decide if you are going to be boosting or NA before you can buy the right injectors.

HPtuners is far better then megasquirt!

I bought my Wiesco 9.5:1 pistons and Eagle H beam rods from Karo at car customs. He is a good guy and I would buy from him again. I had the machine shop balance my engine and I was told that the Wiesco pistons and Eagle H beam rods did not need any balancing at all. So you are definatly getting quality parts.

I do not want to start a fight when I say this. Dale young is right that crank is for an ecotec not for your ld9. Noone makes an aftermarket crank for the ld9 and noone has broken a stock 2.4 crank before so I would not worry about the crank.

As for the head I would talk to the guy that ZYAAA was talking about. Read up on that link MD LD9 posted. If you want the very best flowing head then you are going to need to read about the 086 head swap. If you go with the 086 head you are going to need to recalculate what compression ratio pistons you need since the 086 head will raise your compression. If it were me I would just have that guy port and polish my stock head.

As for the cams keep in mind that the secret cam swap is better than stock but you need the HO cams if you want better however they will require some modification to work. You really need to read up on the cams to decide what you want to do there. Just an FYI new valve springs and lifters are a must and that is roughly 400 dollars right there. Cams roughly 200 and head work roughly 250. So roughly 850 in the cheapest head option alone.

You also made no mention of what lutch you are going to use. I never had a problem with my stock clutch and I was making over 214whp and I was never nice to it. However since I am building my engine I went with a clutchmasters clutch. Alot of people also use Spec clutches. Once again to choose the right clutch you need to know how much power you plan to make.

A MLS head gasket is not a bad idea. Alot of people have had good luck with stock replacement Fel-pro head gasket. The install and correct tourqe and tightening procedure is just as important if not more important than the brand of gasket used. ARP head studs are a must have in an engine build. Do not reuse your head bolts they are meant to be one time use only.

Oh and last but not least the weakest link in the 2.4 seems to be the oiling system. Very common for a 2.4 to destroy rod bearings. You might want to look into doing the 2.3 oil pump swap. If you need help or have any ?s I can help you as I just did it myself.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search