ecotec h.o. manifold... and some bad news for the skwirl - Performance Forum

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.
ecotec h.o. manifold... and some bad news for the skwirl
Thursday, August 16, 2007 9:06 PM
so I got around to installing my ecotec high-output manifold from crateenginedepot.com and I must say, the kit was very well put together.

it comes with the manifold, new o rings for the ports, PCV vent, and throttle body adapter.. as well as a gasket for the throttle body.

the only issue i had with install was the drilling of the IAC valve hole so the car could idle. it also comes with an extension for the brake booster hose.
this is supposedly the 2.4 ecotec manifold

the only other problem is I didn't have a nipple for my FPR and HVAC vacuum signal.. so I tee'd off the brake booster line for it. thats the only draw back and with some fittings and hoses its null anyway

the two manifolds together stock on the left, H.O. on the right

note the arrangement of the runners

H.O. manifold is much more equivalent, and straighter design.. and also has a larger throttle body mouth

port sizing between the two is almost the same... but note the runner length

the stock manifold has a smaller plenum, with longer runners that stay relatively the same diameter

the H.O. manifold has a larger plenum, with shorter runners. the runners are also of larger diameter as they leave the plenum, and taper down slightly (I theorize) to help keep velocity and torque up

immediately I could tell the manifold flowed more due to my wideband's consistently lean readings in comparison with stock manifold.

here's the bad news...

track testing commenced before proper tuning was done.
my first run at the track was strong... 2.0 60' 9.1 1/8mile but as I hit 3rd gear and got up to 7000rpm the engine felt like it hit a rev limiter.
it started bucking...

I kept in it until I crossed the finish line (i estimate the car had problems at the 1000' mark)
I pick up my timeslip and ended up running a 14.3 @ 93.. one of my fastest passes int he past few months.

as I got into pits the skwirl sounded like a WRX. I shut down and pulled my plugs out
#1 was fine
#2 was fine
#3... was smashed closed
#4 was fine

so what happened? I'm not sure.
I know I had my ignition advanced a LOT and I ran lean under WOT in a high rpm... which means that I probably detonated.
my kR is turned off, so that wouldn't have saved me.

I changed my plugs since then and everything has been kosher (so far) but I wouldn't put it past a piece of my piston missing in the #3 chamber.
i'll be taking the car to the track again next week to see if I can make it down the track in one piece.

a 14.3 pass while losing the motor before you get to the beam is a pretty good indication that this manifold works.
I've since tuned my AFR and am looking for the car to perform beautifully despite the hot and humid weather.

Re: ecotec h.o. manifold... and some bad news for the skwirl
Thursday, August 16, 2007 9:18 PM
Damn what size is the tb opening? It does look quite a bit larger, and the manifold itself looks like a better design? Mind if I asked what you paid? Hope it wasnt much, but I prolly woulda just made my own custom sheetmetal manifold, dont you work at a machine shop?

Any more info on that lsj long tube header?

Sorry to hear about the skwirl, hope everything is ok.

Thursday, August 16, 2007 9:20 PM
good looking manifold but I really hope that the smashed plug isn't what it usually is....

Proud member of Jbody of Kentucky ... Click on sig to go!
Thursday, August 16, 2007 10:08 PM
sounds like what my 2.4 did with the s/c , i took my header and down pipe and cat off went bck to stock , some reason it went super lean , and pop

first time it ran fine for 2 weeks , all the plugs were fine , 2nd time it sounded like a wrx at idle , smashed a plug , and turned it into a V-power plug

your gonna need pistons

that intake looks sweet

Friday, August 17, 2007 4:43 AM
you seem to always know what you're talkin about in here and then you go and do that......sorry i have to laugh since you knew you were 1:running lean 2:super advanced timing 3: no Kr before you went down the track.

did you have a death wish for that motor?
Friday, August 17, 2007 7:05 AM
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/store/Ecotec-HO-Intake-Manifold-Kit-22MMGF-P1817C137.aspx

Pretty nice looking piece and not a bad price....definitely something to consider if you're staying n/a.
Friday, August 17, 2007 7:12 AM
DaFlyinSkwirl (PJ) - BPU++ wrote:
the only issue i had with install was the drilling of the IAC valve hole so the car could idle. it also comes with an extension for the brake booster hose.
this is supposedly the 2.4 ecotec manifold

the only other problem is I didn't have a nipple for my FPR and HVAC vacuum signal.. so I tee'd off the brake booster line for it. thats the only draw back and with some fittings and hoses its null anyway

got pics of this PJ?

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Friday, August 17, 2007 11:22 AM
jarett , look at the 2 intakes , you can see the difference

the stock 2.2 intake has a slot and the tb gasket is only around the outter area of the tb

where the 2.4 intake doesnt have that slot and seals in a circle around the tb

plus if you look at the adapter plate they provide with the intake , there is no holes for air to get through either

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, August 17, 2007 11:23 AM

Friday, August 17, 2007 1:36 PM
whiteboyz24 wrote:you seem to always know what you're talkin about in here and then you go and do that......sorry i have to laugh since you knew you were 1:running lean 2:super advanced timing 3: no Kr before you went down the track.

did you have a death wish for that motor?

well, I rushed the install and didn't take the time to properly tune so it is my fault. I'm not going to hide one of my screw ups.. no reason to do something like that. I'm human just like anyone else.

however, keep in mind... even losing the #3 cylinder I ran a 14.3

not to mention, i've put my old spark plugs back in the car and its running pretty good for now.. even re-tuned for a much better AFR

so.. sorry but I have to laugh back because I'd be willing to bet that even with a wounded engine I could still outrun your Z

but.. we all make mistakes. I already know what I need to do

and just to reiterate, the skwirl is NOT dead.
just a minor hiccup.. still running strong.. just a question of how long it will last if it is in fact messed up inside

Friday, August 17, 2007 1:42 PM
well let me know how long she lasts , lol

ive considered selling mine as is with out the s/c on it , since it runs good and doesnt smoke , lol

fark ups are always there to remind us we need to keep a level head ,

Friday, August 17, 2007 1:47 PM
[quote=97cavie24ls(™)]jarett , look at the 2 intakes , you can see the difference

the stock 2.2 intake has a slot and the tb gasket is only around the outter area of the tb

where the 2.4 intake doesnt have that slot and seals in a circle around the tb

plus if you look at the adapter plate they provide with the intake , there is no holes for air to get through either

I kind of meant the IAC hole. is that not in the TB?

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Friday, August 17, 2007 2:03 PM
poor poor PJ breaking motors and still running quick

Why didnt you tell me you had this toy hmmm

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Alexis: Dustin, you're ghey, lol. I am better. I have tits, and tits rule all.
Friday, August 17, 2007 3:20 PM
DaFlyinSkwirl (PJ) - BPU++ wrote:however, keep in mind... even losing the #3 cylinder I ran a 14.3

and this is why i cant wait to see a 13.XXX pass video. breaking benjamin n' all.

keep it up man. your almost there.

Friday, August 17, 2007 10:18 PM
That plug didnt close on its own, something is broke.
Saturday, August 18, 2007 3:51 AM
You can always "hope" the damage is from a screw or piece of metal which was left in your new manifold for you to find. Piston pieces are no fun.

-->Slow
Saturday, August 18, 2007 5:34 AM
DaFlyinSkwirl (PJ) - BPU++ wrote:
as I got into pits the skwirl sounded like a WRX. I shut down and pulled my plugs out
#1 was fine
#2 was fine
#3... was smashed closed
#4 was fine

Any pics of the plug ? A smashed plug is never a good sign. I would do a compression test.

Saturday, August 18, 2007 7:11 AM
I am wondering..By putting on this new intake...Do you need to reprogram the computer or will you get a good gain without retuning the computer...I am looking into getting it but dont have the HP tuner at this time..Other than that Sorry to here about your motor..Good run though...
Saturday, August 18, 2007 9:32 AM
nooooo not the skwirl

hope she is OK

My car may run 18s, but I can do your taxes in 10 seconds flat.
JBO lube - they would never have enough in stock and we'd never see RodimusPrime again
Saturday, August 18, 2007 9:36 AM
guys i know what a smashed plug means

i'm not worried about it lol.. there's other engines to be installed.

I more likely than not have a cracked ringland... the car will survive for now.
this motor is getting pulled and she's goin back to stock briefly to pass inspection

then... I have a whole new n/a motor going in... something no one has ever seen before

Saturday, August 18, 2007 10:57 AM
thats what I was kinda thinkin.....run er till she blows...and when she blows...she blows...bfd lol although....potential head damage?

either way...I was just discussing this manifold with ben the other day....and then next thing i know you have one lol. get those 13's before she cooks!

Saturday, August 18, 2007 1:24 PM
Lots of people are doing "never been seen" or "no one knows about..." builds right now.

I hate and love it at the same time.

Hope youve got better luck with the new motor, and hey at any rate, not too shabby for a stock bottom end, with the abuse you put on it, id say.

Cant wait to see what youve got in store.

Saturday, August 18, 2007 2:18 PM
id like to think its a safe bet to say with a stock rebuilt bottom end she'd get 'skwirly' in 1320 at 13.XXX

Saturday, August 18, 2007 6:26 PM
PJ: If you broke a ringland, you'd know it. The car would run like @!#$ as you'd have no compression in that cylinder.

I smashed a plug closed about a week after I rebuilt my motor. The cause...detonation. Just because the plug is closed doesn't mean something is physically broken. Just so people know. @!#$ is getting weaker though...LOL.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Saturday, August 18, 2007 9:04 PM
quick get that thing back to the track and go like hell!

** FOR SALE** http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=24&i=110879&t=110879
Saturday, August 18, 2007 10:28 PM
There is a difference between detonation "closing" a plug and a "smashed" plug as PJ described.
This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.

Start New Topic Advanced Search