OHV lifter conversion using LS1/LS6 parts - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
OHV lifter conversion using LS1/LS6 parts
Sunday, September 09, 2007 7:59 AM
Well, after my JBP lifters clogged up, and got a bit hot and burned, I decided to take my old oem lifters and do the lt-1 swap that slowolej came up with, but using a twist. The LS1/LS6 lifters.
Here's the thread about my lifters failing.

Anyways, I bought 16 lifters off ebay. The description listed it for "Set of 16 NEW GM Gen III and Corvette LS1/LS6"
It listed the application of :
1998-2001 GM Gen III (Corvette/Camaro/Firebird) V8
2001-Up LS1-LS6 V8

So, that's the lifters I bought.

I then took one apart. The only tools I used was a set of 5 small screwdrivers, that come in the small square case.
First thing I learned is that the retaining clips on the LS1 listers are under much more pressure then my oem ones. I learned this after I was almost blinded by the retainer shooting up and hitting my eyelid just above my eye. It was safety goggles from there on out.
Here are the two next to each other. OEM is on the left, LS1 is on the right.

Here you can see the smaller spring in more detail and see that it has about one more coil then the OEM one.
OEM is on left, LS1 on the right.

Here is the larger spring, and this is also noticeably larger. OEM on left, LS1 on right.

When disassembling either lifter, it helps to drain the oil out. You do this by using a very small philips screw driver, and turning the lifter upside down, and pressing on the checkvalve (little ball). Oil will drain out of the lifter. I say to use a philips because there is less change you will scratch the ball, in my opinion. You don't want to scratch it, and cause a leak by the check valve. This is very unlikely though, since the balls are pretty strong. and I haven't noticed any scratches at all on any of them.

Also, when re-assembling, the easiest way i found was to take a large, regular philips screwdriver and press on the middle where the pushrod usually goes. You will need to have a friend do this, while you put the retaining clip back on. I have someone just continue to push on it, while I kept it from moving around. Then put the retainer back in.

I've finished 3 so far, and will get the rest done today, and installed them in the car and get it running again. I believe this is just as reliable as the LT-1 swap, after speaking with slowolej. I'll let him chime in on his own to provide comments.

I hope this helps in the future someone who wants some reliable, and inexpensive lifters.

This whole swap was $96 dollars. That's how much the new lifters were from ebay. I re-used my original OEM lifter bodies. Even if you go down to advance auto parts, and get only 8 new lifters, it is about $120. I got 16 for $96, so I thought that was the better deal, and they were both new.

Re: OHV lifter conversion using LS1/LS6 parts
Sunday, September 09, 2007 9:36 AM
Good job. It's interesting to se the differences between the LS1 and LT1 lifters...

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Sunday, September 09, 2007 10:34 AM
I'm kind of thinking about getting a set of the LS1 "lightweight" lifters to see what makes 'em so special. IOW, can I raid any of the redesigned parts for my own lifters? It's not a big issue yet, though. I still need to get a few other parts of the engine project finished up.

-->Slow
Sunday, September 09, 2007 2:23 PM
They make a LS1 "lightweight" lifter? Is that made by GM? or some after market company?

Monday, September 10, 2007 2:20 AM
Part no 88958689 was developed by GM Racing and GM Powertrain. It's about $220 (plus shipping, of course) for the set of 16 from gmpartsdirect. I really don't think any of the jightweight parts will transfer to the LN2 lifter, but it would be neat to study a standard lifter next to one of the high rpm versions.

-->Slow
Tuesday, September 11, 2007 9:24 PM
Yah, that would be interesting to see the two next to each other.

So, these 8 lifters that have my old springs in them, will they work for any car out there? like a lower performance LS1....??

Also, if anyone else is interested in 8 LS1/LS6 lifters, I have a set for sale. contact me to make an offer hehe.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 6:36 AM
VTLoki wrote:So, these 8 lifters that have my old springs in them, will they work for any car out there? like a lower performance LS1....??
They'd work for older SBC, I asked this same question in the other thread. Find someone who's just looking to do a roller conversion with a mild cam.
VTLoki wrote:Also, if anyone else is interested in 8 LS1/LS6 lifters, I have a set for sale. contact me to make an offer hehe.
I'm keeping my extra set, you never know when you're going to need it

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Wednesday, September 12, 2007 10:05 AM
slowolej wrote:Part no 88958689 was developed by GM Racing and GM Powertrain. It's about $220 (plus shipping, of course) for the set of 16 from gmpartsdirect. I really don't think any of the jightweight parts will transfer to the LN2 lifter, but it would be neat to study a standard lifter next to one of the high rpm versions.

-->Slow

yeah i'd imagine the "lightweight" parts are more likely the the main body of the lifter, possibly the axle and roller as well although I'd think these would need to be tougher to handle the higher rpm so not as likely to be "lightened". Unless maybe they're made of titanium or something...

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Wednesday, September 12, 2007 2:45 PM
I'm going by memory, but the description reads somethign like "special reduced mass internal components" which likely means the cup / piston portion, which from VTLoki's pictures appears to be substantially different than the LN2 lifter. Then again, the LN2 innards are probably "reduced mass" compared to the stock LS1 parts. It's probably a wash.
Hmmm... so it looks like the LSx guys wanna run what the LN2 guys already have.

-->Slow
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search