-MD- Pulleys, Discusion, Cranks and Alternators-Long Read- - Page 2 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: -MD- Pulleys, Discusion, Cranks and Alternators-Long Read-
Monday, December 03, 2007 4:38 AM
I'm sure my roomie would take an LN2 crank pulley.

I'm semi interested but I've had an Unorthodox pulley on the car for years now, however it has been on and off easily a dozen times and that worries me somewhat about its longevity. Anyways, the long and short of it, depending on the if and when, I'd love to be able to dyno the 2 head to head when I go to get my car HPT'd whenever that is. But that's also a lot of ifs and whens to work out...

On the 6061 vs. 7075 debate (not that its a debate), I've been using many different 6061 parts for years now with no signs of issue... UDPs included... exactly how much more is the 7075 aluminum per unit than the 6061?

Monday, December 03, 2007 1:03 PM
i'm in for an eco. just lemme know when and where to send the money.

Wednesday, December 05, 2007 7:02 AM
I rather use 7075 because of the added wear from the oil pump cam riding on the snout lobe on the Ecotec crank pulley.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, December 05, 2007 9:08 AM
Do you have the stock size 2.4 crank pulley or the stock size alternator pulley for sale yet. Correct me if I am wrong they will be made of 7075 aluminum in a machined finish and then a powdercoat clearcoat?

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Wednesday, December 05, 2007 9:59 AM
Wade Jarvis wrote:Do you have the stock size 2.4 crank pulley or the stock size alternator pulley for sale yet. Correct me if I am wrong they will be made of 7075 aluminum in a machined finish and then a powdercoat clearcoat?

Might start a GP for the LD9 guys while waiting on the LN2 & L61/LE5 stuff.

2.4 / ld9 will be t6-6061 aluminum with a A4 hard coat. Color will be a darker gray. I have A FEW alternator pulleys right now, but no cranks.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Wednesday, December 05, 2007 10:38 AM
^^ DOO ITTT

* * BIG FOR SALE POST * *
Thursday, December 06, 2007 9:15 AM
Please do start the 2.4 crank GP. I am ready to buy now.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Thursday, December 06, 2007 12:08 PM
arent we all wade...

mike ftw.

Thursday, December 06, 2007 1:19 PM
You guys will like the pricing if we can get 20 LD9's.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Thursday, December 06, 2007 1:44 PM
i think we could find 20 ppl to get in on this lol, hell if not, ill get 2 lol

Thursday, December 06, 2007 5:41 PM
you never made up the pulleys for the LN2 did you? do you know if they will work for the 2.2 s10 engines?

Thursday, December 06, 2007 6:53 PM
im pretty interested! it was the crank and alternator pulleys right?

has anyone had any problems or what not with these at all mike? i remember reading that no one had really said anything about having problems. i was just told to watch out because if it isnt made well or hardcoated well, then the pulley may crack. i know the first batch has been around for a while, so im not too worried, but just asking is all.

has anyone measured any increase with these? improved 1/4 mi times? dyno runs? anything? i searched, but couldnt even find the last GP thread,

1997 RedR - ZedR
Sunday, December 09, 2007 1:58 PM
whitegoose( RedR-ZedR) wrote:im pretty interested! it was the crank and alternator pulleys right?

has anyone had any problems or what not with these at all mike? i remember reading that no one had really said anything about having problems. i was just told to watch out because if it isnt made well or hardcoated well, then the pulley may crack. i know the first batch has been around for a while, so im not too worried, but just asking is all.

has anyone measured any increase with these? improved 1/4 mi times? dyno runs? anything? i searched, but couldnt even find the last GP thread,

goose you must have been living under a rock.

No one has had problems besides what I listed in the first post of this forum. It will not crack, nor will the coating cause any cracking. My before and after dyno graphs have been posted a few times now. I made 7-8 more WHP, and 6-7 more ft-lb of torque across most of the RPM range. I can not find them now, but they will be posted again when I run the GP.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Monday, December 10, 2007 3:10 AM
Here's a thought: How about making a oversized power steering pump pulley? Increasing the drive/driven ratio might reduce the total amount of power needed to spin the pump by creating an increase in torque at the pump. Plus the increased area of the pulley would reduce any belt slippage that might occur with the underdrive crank pulley and prevent belt-throwing flap at high engine speeds. Not to mention how the reduced pump speed would increase steering firmness at low engine speeds by reduction of output line pressure. Of course, if you feel that this will cause an increase in steering effort needed at said engine speeds to a undesirable level, then don't use one. It's that easy.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Monday, December 10, 2007 4:06 AM
Nickelin Dimer wrote:Here's a thought: How about making a oversized power steering pump pulley? Increasing the drive/driven ratio might reduce the total amount of power needed to spin the pump by creating an increase in torque at the pump. Plus the increased area of the pulley would reduce any belt slippage that might occur with the underdrive crank pulley and prevent belt-throwing flap at high engine speeds. Not to mention how the reduced pump speed would increase steering firmness at low engine speeds by reduction of output line pressure. Of course, if you feel that this will cause an increase in steering effort needed at said engine speeds to a undesirable level, then don't use one. It's that easy.

Yes a over driven water pump pulley and under driven crack pulley would be nice but, I rather keep everything stock diameter and lightweight. Also it seems that the 2.2 LN2 / 2200 market is quite a bit smaller than the LD9 & L61 market.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, December 10, 2007 4:08 AM

PRND321 Till I DIE
Monday, December 10, 2007 6:39 AM
-MD- LD9 wrote:
whitegoose( RedR-ZedR) wrote:im pretty interested! it was the crank and alternator pulleys right?

goose you must have been living under a rock.

No one has had problems besides what I listed in the first post of this forum. It will not crack, nor will the coating cause any cracking. My before and after dyno graphs have been posted a few times now. I made 7-8 more WHP, and 6-7 more ft-lb of torque across most of the RPM range. I can not find them now, but they will be posted again when I run the GP.

i remember that there was a power pickup, but couldnt remember what the numbers were. like i said the old GP thread is gone (i couldnt find it) so i couldnt check there. i know the pulleys are designed and manufactured well, but i was just warned about pulleys in general and them splitting or cracking. i mean, i'm sure AEM didnt design theres to split, but some of them have been known to.

any idea on the LD9 GP pricing and start date?

1997 RedR - ZedR
Monday, December 10, 2007 7:05 AM
I never heard of any AEM's cracking, but that doesn't mean they do not exist.

I am REALLY shooting for the 15th for the LD9 GP, but every time I try to get a set date something sets it back.
Pricing depends on number of people in GP.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Monday, December 10, 2007 12:00 PM
well i cant guarantee i will able to purchase or not. that depends on the price.

would you be able to tell me the prices of the last years GP and if you think that this years would be lower?

that might help me make my decision.

rob.

1997 RedR - ZedR
Monday, December 10, 2007 1:08 PM
Last year it was 125 for a crank for 30 people.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Monday, December 10, 2007 4:49 PM
L61 L61 L61!!!!!
Monday, December 10, 2007 7:22 PM
LE5 LE5 LE5!!!!

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 5:40 AM
As far as the LN2's go, the factory water pump pulley is fairly large and made of steel. Its easier to make too since the surface that comes in contact with the belt is smooth. Would be nice to get one of those with a crank pulley...

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 5:55 AM
Get me stock one, and we will talk about it.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Wednesday, December 12, 2007 1:05 PM
Philly D wrote:L61 L61 L61!!!!!

X2

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 1:09 PM
Cody@RDFABS wrote:
Philly D wrote:L61 L61 L61!!!!!

X2

x3
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search