knock sensor hole too small - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
knock sensor hole too small
Monday, January 14, 2008 6:26 PM
i just bought a new rebuilt Ld9 from standard auto in virginia its a 2.4L quad 4 dohc rebuilt 97-98 GM GMO-146-olds-146-engine.. i noticed today that the place where the knock sensor goes.the hole is too small . i thought i might have got the wrong one but the new sensor fit in my old block the parts house said its the right one for a 97 z24 but it will not fit in my new engine ..should i ask for one for a olds engine ????? has anyone else run across this ..any info would be great ...... thanks

Re: knock sensor hole too small
Monday, January 14, 2008 6:40 PM
YOur motor is a 99+ which had a different knock sensor (different size hole). You need to drill the hole bigger and tap it.

FU Tuning

Monday, January 14, 2008 9:42 PM
or you can weld on a nut onto the block that's the size of the thread for the knock sensor.

I did that on my motor, and as proof be told, it did what it should and my car still made an assload of powa

-Trailblazer SS - not so custom 6.0L - custom intake - custom tune
- (1) 2.4L on an engine stand (1) blown trans (2) good quad trans (1) eco trans = party

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 5:23 PM
thanks guys... yall have helped me more than anyone.....thanks again
Tuesday, January 15, 2008 7:24 PM
John Higgins wrote:YOur motor is a 99+ which had a different knock sensor (different size hole). You need to drill the hole bigger and tap it.

Could he just use a 99+ sensor or is there a wiring issue there?

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 7:39 PM
Wade Jarvis wrote:
John Higgins wrote:YOur motor is a 99+ which had a different knock sensor (different size hole). You need to drill the hole bigger and tap it.

Could he just use a 99+ sensor or is there a wiring issue there?

I have never done it, but he should be able to. The 99+ is a 2 wire knock sensor (pre 99 is a 1 wire). I have read where on the 2 wuire only 1 wire is a signal other being a ground (I think). In theory he should be able to re pin the 1 wire and it work, but I do not know. I knwo for a fact drilling and tapping the knock sensor hole works. It is not hard.

FU Tuning

Friday, January 18, 2008 9:07 PM
your right i found out pre 99 is 1 wire . 99+ is two plus the connector is square. i did the drill & tap thing. worked like a charm . im just about done with the engine install just torqued the header down ..calling it a night ......... thanks again guys
Friday, October 02, 2009 3:10 PM
I have run into this problem as well... new engine is in and too late to drill and tap. Has anyone tried the one wire thing? I don't know how bad it is to run without a knock sensor... can't be great though.
Friday, October 02, 2009 6:36 PM
FYREHZRD wrote:I have run into this problem as well... new engine is in and too late to drill and tap. Has anyone tried the one wire thing? I don't know how bad it is to run without a knock sensor... can't be great though.

Should be able to drill and tap while in the car.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, October 07, 2009 2:28 PM
The wire thing doesn't work. I tried it. 97 computer in a 99 sunfire with a 2000 2.4 5speed swap. I grounded it to the block, Repined it to the right pins on the ecu like a 99+ along with hooking the ground to the pcm ground with no luck. The only thing i can think of is the resistance is different between them.

Any i did the same thing and i'm just going to wire it back to the pcm. The get the computer reflashed to a 99 for $75
Wednesday, December 02, 2009 6:10 AM
the PCM reads the two sensors differently because one has a constant voltage being sent to it and the other doesnt. i just recently went through the same situation after replacing my 99' 4.3L for a 01' 4.3L. and i welded a bolt the size of the hole to a pipe coupling the size of the knock sensor and it works perfectly so far at least.

Wednesday, December 02, 2009 7:51 AM
This will help you. I still need to order one myself

00 2.4 Knock sensor in to 97 block

john317(AKA Gary the Old guy) wrote:Not sure what thread it was. So here it is again.

You can order inserts from http://mscdirect.com part number 82496860 @ $4.05 for carbon steel or 02232361 @ $13.71 for stainless + shipping of course...

Jason
99 Z24 Supercharged
157hp/171tq - NA
190hp/170tq @ 6psi

LG0/LD9 for Life
Wednesday, December 02, 2009 8:03 AM
99-02 Knock sensor...8mm x 1.25...2 Wire
96-98 Knock Sensor...12mm x 1.25...1 Wire

Thanks old man Gary!

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, December 02, 2009 4:54 PM
Can you run the car without the knock sensor screwed into the block?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, December 02, 2009 4:55 PM

http://www.fquick.com/Caboose73
Wednesday, October 04, 2017 10:37 AM
Hey everyone. I see this is an old thread but wanted to ask how far do you drill out the hole to put the bigger knock sensor in? I have a 98 2.4 that I'm putting a 99 motor in. Just wondering cause when drilling and tapping a hole you can't go all the way to the stop so do you just drill it enough to be able to tap a couple threads just enough for the knock sensor to go in and put some blue thread lock on. Hopefully someone will reply. Thanks
Thursday, December 14, 2017 5:32 AM
You want to tap it the same depth as the other knock senor you are replacing.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, September 05, 2018 1:54 PM
I know this is an older thread but hopefully someone can answer this question. I have found by reading this thread that the 96-98 knock sensor threads are M12x1.25.
My question is, are the threads supposed to be tapered on the knock sensor? I have verified that the threads are indeed M12x1.25 but I have also verified that the threads are tapered. Does this really matter? Just thread it in the block and torque to spec? Interesting note, the block I am installing this sensor on has the hole tapped 7/16x14.
Yeah, took me a while to figure that out. Thanks.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search