THE OFFICIAL INTAKE THREAD - Page 4 - Performance Forum

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.
Re: THE OFFICIAL INTAKE THREAD
Tuesday, March 18, 2008 11:28 AM
Scott Ryman wrote:bump

This thread will remain the best thread of JBO possibly for the rest of it's existence. Next to GAM's caturday thread in the off-topic forum, of course.

i think you're severely confused

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 11:47 AM
Nickelin Dimer wrote: Geez, 'Sac... Ludwig got the idea of thet benefits and he's the hardest sell of anybody I met on this topic.

I pretty much just agreed so you would stop posting paragraphs the size of a short novel. Obviously it didn't work.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 1:49 AM
^ So obviously, you didn't get it. Such shame, you showed such promise... At least that's what your teachers & parents said.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Thursday, March 20, 2008 11:06 AM
Nickelin Dimer wrote:^ So obviously, you didn't get it. Such shame, you showed such promise... At least that's what your teachers & parents said.

I get it, I just don't agree with you about it.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 11:26 AM
"What intake should I get?"

Labrat
Friday, March 21, 2008 3:21 PM
I know we've covered intakes pretty well here in the OFFICIAL INTAKE THREAD but I have some questions about building your own. Here goes:

What's the best material to use for the tubing? I think stainless steel or aluminum would be ideal, but I'm not sure. Also, what diameter should I use? I realize that air will only flow as good as the smallest point in the intake system, so would matching the pipe size to the throttle body be a good way to go, or should it be a little bigger? What should I use to seal any joints together? Should they be welded, or should I use a silicon sleeve? Both? What about heat shields? If I have to pass the intake near part of the engine, what material would keep heat out best? Would applying exhaust wrap to those points be a good idea? And my last question, does the shape of the filter make a difference? In other words, could I use a straight round K&N filter instead of a tapered (cone) one?

Also, bump.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Friday, March 21, 2008 6:23 PM
Scott Ryman wrote:I know we've covered intakes pretty well here in the OFFICIAL INTAKE THREAD but I have some questions about building your own. Here goes:

What's the best material to use for the tubing? I think stainless steel or aluminum would be ideal, but I'm not sure. Also, what diameter should I use? I realize that air will only flow as good as the smallest point in the intake system, so would matching the pipe size to the throttle body be a good way to go, or should it be a little bigger? What should I use to seal any joints together? Should they be welded, or should I use a silicon sleeve? Both? What about heat shields? If I have to pass the intake near part of the engine, what material would keep heat out best? Would applying exhaust wrap to those points be a good idea? And my last question, does the shape of the filter make a difference? In other words, could I use a straight round K&N filter instead of a tapered (cone) one?

Also, bump.

Use your common sense and you will do just fine.

Monday, March 24, 2008 3:01 AM
Not to get the last word, but there is one final arguement about what I've been talking about that needs saying:

Ever wonder what principles a CAI (LIke K&N) draws upon for it's operation? Here's a clue: The same as an FAI uses, only the method of collection & delivery of those same headwinds to the filter containment area (A.k.a.: Canister) for the engine to draw upon is more effective than the indirect methods of off-to-the-side-of-before-the-core-support & whatever slips under the leading edge of the hood. This more effective filling of the canister, especially if it's a sealed design with only inlet & outlet ports (One to the air inlet tract, one to the engine), the more air the engine has to breathe at it's leisure (Easily, freely). Now, doesn't that make more sense?

I would highly recommend to all those searching for more power from their apps pursue this, but I must warn you: It is not for the unbold or unskilled to attempt. This requires a fair bit of fab work & consideration as to air flow and ducting area in realation to funneling & restriction. And if you know anything about the venturi effect, you know what I mean & how to work with the principles involved with it to build such a system as I've been speaking about. In short: This is in no way a bolt-on mod, but the results are well worth the effort.

And just to give you a head start on this, use the factory air filter housing (But not the tract) from a '94-'95 Mustang to build this as it has the filter shape & ports that are necessary for the building of this system.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Monday, March 24, 2008 11:57 AM
Too long did not read.

The engine can only "suck in" as much air as it physically can. This physical limit is easily overcome by your run of the mill intake. No need for fancy rams, tubes, venturi effects, intake pulse resonance, canadian whisky, or lettuce injectors.

Monday, March 24, 2008 12:04 PM
....wtf is a lettuce injector? and why do I want one really badly....

Monday, March 24, 2008 2:07 PM
You gotta forgive Ludwig, as he was raised on a curved system in school. Too bad the curve was "Deadman's".

Go beyond the "bolt-on".

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 3:51 PM
By the way...

I understand the fact the engine will only consume (Naturally) whatever amount of air it's designed (Mechanically) to consume. I also understand that the more freely the air it consumes can be obtained the the better (Response and mileage wise. BTW, keep the filter clean!). And that cooler air than that found under the hood is better for performance. All I'm saying here is let's try a method to take advantage of a naturally occuring phenomena (Headwind) to insure the engine has all the cool air it want's, that's all!

BTW: judging by Ludwig's sig, I don't think he believes power can be made, only bought. That's nice if you're into crooked politics.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Tuesday, March 25, 2008 4:01 PM
Scott Ryman wrote:I know we've covered intakes pretty well here in the OFFICIAL INTAKE THREAD but I have some questions about building your own. Here goes:

Also, bump.

2.5 or 3" diameter aluminum piping, as straight as you can make it. aluminum, because although it heats quickly, it cools just as quickly. welding or silicone elbow will be fine, like i said, straighter is better. heat shields, only if you have room. i'm currently using a 5* angled flange 4" round X 6" k&n. works beautifully. keep you IAT ac lose as you can to your throttle body, and boom, you have your perfect j-body intake.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Tuesday, March 25, 2008 4:11 PM
I thought it was the other way around with IAT placement (Closer to the filter)? At aleast that's what I remember from my buudy's GN-tuning days. Ran 11.80s with just minoir bolt-ons on street radials (Non-drag, that is).

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Tuesday, March 25, 2008 5:09 PM
i'd rather the ecu read the temps that are as close to what the cylinders are filling with as possible. temps can rise 20* from the filter to the throttle plate.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Tuesday, March 25, 2008 6:28 PM
lolz at you and your intake wet dreams.

Nickelin Dimer wrote:BTW: judging by Ludwig's sig, I don't think he believes power can be made, only bought. That's nice if you're into crooked politics.

lolz at you and your intake wet dreams.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 7:37 AM
At least I'm willing to make an effort that's more than turning a screwdriver or just pluging something in.

BTW: Grayo, I dig what you say.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Wednesday, March 26, 2008 8:42 AM
Nickelin Dimer wrote:At least I'm willing to make an effort that's more than turning a screwdriver or just pluging something in.

BTW: Grayo, I dig what you say.

lolz at you thinking you do more custom fab work than me. I only tend to make efforts where it matters. The race you are running is one that belongs in the special olympics, even if you win you are still..... ya know.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 10:18 AM

Also, bump.

aluminum is good, but if you can find ABS, it doesnt retain heat to the same degree.

the stock TB is a 52mm on most cavaliers. measure the opening of the TB itself and run a similar sized pipe. if i remember right i actually used 2.75inch

heat sheilds....definately if you can. more times than not, you have enough room to build a box in the engine bay, thats the route i went personally.

theres a material called Reflective heat sheilding from DEI engineering. they have stock on versions and wrap on versions for heat sheilding.

shape can make a difference. some intake filters have the filter element ON the top end of the cone as well as the regular filtering media on the sides... in many applications where the top of the cone has a filter, 1 it flows more air, and air flow can and will be changed a bit, which can offer some advantages.

also when you spoke about size of intake pipe, its perfectly acceptable to start at the filter with a wider pipe, then gradually go down to a size thats equal to the TB opening. basically the venturi effect. basically the original poster doesnt think it works judging by his posts, but if you do a search on how stuff works, or even google theres plenty of scientific data proving that it does.

and in lieu of a K&N filter, check out the proSdry filters from AEM. no oil, better filtration and more air flow....

g'luck with it all.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 5:26 PM
This thread was oversimplified for a reason people, to help fight the influx of "What intake should I get" questions. This was not supposed to be a technical discussion about fluid dynamics. Please start a different thread if you would like to discuss these things.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 8:34 PM
^^^Well, the results from makin' the efforts to make such a system must matter, otherwise no one would still be doing it after all these years of initial use (Think back to before the '40s). Including the factory & aftermarket guys like Volant. But I guess that don't matter to someone like you who prefers to make all their own efforts in the search for more power and, henceforth, mistakes. Like: "How do we get more cool air to (Notice I said "to", not "into"!) the engine for it to breathe?" Obviously you've missed the point of the advantage found in my suggestions, again. And you say I'm running a "slow" race? Why don't you take that talk to the guys whom make use of such a system and see what results. Gee, seems like now you're more qualified to run said race. Don't forget your helmet, Corky.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 8:40 PM
bmxludwig wrote:This thread was oversimplified for a reason people, to help fight the influx of "What intake should I get" questions. This was not supposed to be a technical discussion about fluid dynamics. Please start a different thread if you would like to discuss these things.

actually i already did... this post is basically a repost of what i've already posted. thanks for basically repeating everything i've posted here 5 years ago.

now to stay on topic, i basically added those two variables cause they are matters that actually do make a difference. this is the PERFORMANCE forum, right?

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 8:50 PM
Hmmm... Perhaps "Ludwig" should change his web name to "Tommy", as he has been found to be deaf, dumb and blind!

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Thursday, March 27, 2008 5:35 AM
Oh sweet jesus, you reposted that post in this thread too funky bottoms? THE POINT OF THIS THREAD IS THAT NO NOOB READS THE "PERFORMANCE FAQ" ! ! ! Have you noticed how people have been linking this thread to all of the stupid intake questions lately? Have you noticed how there hasn't been very many stupid intake questions lately? KNOW WHY THAT IS? THIS THREAD IS BLUNT AND PEOPLE GET IT THAT WAY. You have some serious issues dude. Anybody who posts nothing short of a novel in retaliation in an internet battle has to get a life. I mean cmon man, seriously.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 6:05 AM
Hating on the BMW owner that's great guys just because he drive a BMW and not a cavalier or sunfire.

I mean seriously have you read the last million IS THIS THE BEST INTAKE and WILL THIS CHIP WORK post.

Did you noticed how many ppl flamed them?

why don't you go get all gay on them too?

Only on JBO

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.

Start New Topic Advanced Search