****2.2 Coil Conversion Slight help needed!!!!*** - Page 2 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: ****2.2 Coil Conversion Slight help needed!!!!***
Monday, February 18, 2008 8:38 PM
i got some extra neon parts i found in my house, a coil with round connection, and mopar coil wireing kit rectuangular connection, all up for grabs

Kill list:03 eclipse, 06 GTO, 04 Mach 1 Mustang

Monday, February 18, 2008 9:13 PM
FYI, you don't need the 2.2 ICM at ALL. What I did yesterday was take both 2.2 coil, use 4 flat connector and wire them up with the 2.3 ICM plug. 2 are triggers (white wires) and the other 2 (goes to the pink wire) are together. I then used a fiberglass sheet and the stock 91 TBI coil mount and bolted everything together. No need for an adapter plate or the 2.2 ICM. It works fine the way I did it.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 1:23 AM
Mfk-223 wrote:FYI, you don't need the 2.2 ICM at ALL. What I did yesterday was take both 2.2 coil, use 4 flat connector and wire them up with the 2.3 ICM plug. 2 are triggers (white wires) and the other 2 (goes to the pink wire) are together. I then used a fiberglass sheet and the stock 91 TBI coil mount and bolted everything together. No need for an adapter plate or the 2.2 ICM. It works fine the way I did it.

Yeah, I thought about that too when I made my first unit for the Cavy.
But I thought about the vibration and end results would not be what I wanted so didn't go this route.
Mfk, some pictures would be nice for all to see if possible.

Oh and on the MSD mounts, the 4 wires break down to one 2/3 trigger, one 1/4 trigger, and two commons. You'll be tying the two commons together to make the usual 3 wire, stock setup.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 1:33 AM
I'll try to take some later this morning once I go back home.

The coil are keeping the connectors in place when they are bolted down. I used the fiberglass sheet to isolate the connector from the aluminium mount. Even if they vibrate, they shouldn't budge.

The only thing for now, I don't have a good spot to mount the coils/mount. It's holding on the intake manifold by 1 bolt and I don't like that. I still have my stock air intake and it's taking all the space I have in the bay.

Since my setup is working, I'll get a set of MSD coils and I'll do the same thing.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 8:31 AM
Where is this write up at, I have everything laying here to do it. This will gimme something to do in my downtime while I am waiting for the rest of the parts.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 8:58 AM
Misnblu wrote:Oh and on the MSD mounts, the 4 wires break down to one 2/3 trigger, one 1/4 trigger, and two commons. You'll be tying the two commons together to make the usual 3 wire, stock setup.

Here is MSD's wiring diagram for the coils and their mount....

Where i am confused, is that MSD has 4 wires going to EACH coil.... where as our GM units have 3 wires going to the whole coil pack (2 coils).... I understand the combining the two commons... to meet our single common.... If this was an old school coil like from a carbeuated V8 this would make perfet sence... you would have 2 power wires, and one ground. you split that ground between both coils. and then run each hot to its designated coil. this makes 100% sence to me.
I am just thrown off by these diagrams and all this extra wiring... I get paranoid thinking "it is there for a reason, maybe we shouldnt just leave them out"

Like on the diagram above... It claims (for each coil) we have 2 white wires "white to coil terminal" as they say.... so i can only imagine that means "this wire goes directly into the lil metal tab that goes into the coil" so if that assumption is correct.... then we have the matter of the black wires. you say these are tied together.... ok that works for me... but my question is where do these go to??? what is it connected to? if the whites both go to the ONLY 2 terminals on the coil... then where does the black go? is this connected to the bolt or something? that grounds to the coil? (i see a metal washer type thing in one of my bolt holes on the MSD coil... does it use this as a ground...)

I dont mean to question everything here... and probably worrying more than i need to.... but i dont like spoon-feeding how-to instructions. I would prefer to be taught the theory and operation behind it, and then be able to figure out the how-to once i know the why.

I figure trying to understand the MSD mounts would be easier that trying to figure out the ICM of the 2.2. but it seems like both of these complicate things alot more than they need to be.

From what i know and see.... I would ASSUME it should go like this.....

each coil has 2 wiring conections. one is + other is - (or hot and ground if you prefer)
we have 3 wires coil1 hot, coil2 hot, and ground.
SOOOOOO....
coil1 hot plugs into the + side of coil 1
coil2 hot plugs into the + side of coil 2
and then you split the ground between both coils - post.

that is how i would THINK it works....

And it looks like that is all there is to it on the 2.4L setup. the brown wire goes to one post on each of the coils, and then each coil gets one white run to its other terminal.

So if we forget about the msd mounts, and the GM 2.2 ICM... and just talk about actual connections here.

Is there anything the coils need BESIDES the 2 spade connectors? Does it matter which side of the coil gets brown and which side gets white? Is there any significance of the metal washer type thing on the one side where the bolt goes?

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 9:11 AM
Here is the one i have saved on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, February 19, 2008 9:15 AM

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 10:52 AM
Ok, so i assume it doesnt matter which way the wires go, as long as each coil has a ground and a trigger?

in your diagram you have one coil wires positive, the other negative... So i assume polarity isnt an issue with these....

(no where on the coil or anywhere else do i see anything specifying + or -.

I just dont want to fry a brand new coil by running it backwards.

Thursday, February 21, 2008 7:03 AM
Coil swap

Here's how I wired mine. I'll get a set of Msd coils and I'll wired them the same way. It work fine the way I did it. I mounted mine on the intake manifold. For now it's a set of 91 2.2 coils with Bosh spark plug wires. I took the parts from the 91 beretta I had.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Thursday, February 21, 2008 12:19 PM
If you are using the DIS-2 unit.... do you still need the ICM? or can this be bypassed and the DIS wired right to the ECM?

Thursday, February 21, 2008 4:57 PM
ken soggs wrote:If you are using the DIS-2 unit.... do you still need the ICM? or can this be bypassed and the DIS wired right to the ECM?

Yes, the ICM is still needed to trigger the coils.
It's that trigger that makes the DIS-2 work also.

Remember, signal from the ICM triggers the DIS-2 and the DIS-2 fires to the coils with the multiple triggers to fire off the coils.
That's pretty much it.

Good luck with your setup.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Friday, February 22, 2008 1:07 PM
I completed the Coil/Wire conversion. Used all MSD parts. Stock 2.4L ICM. New NGK TR6 plugs.

Initially gapped them at 30, and the car ran fantastically. best it has run in a LONG time...

Decided to try a larger gap.. jumped right up to 50. figured the voltage of the MSD's could handle a bigger gap no problem.

I figured the bigger gap would give me a bigger spark, and better combustion. but in doing this i seem to have lost power.

I figured a big spark would work better, or miss.

well it didnt work much better, but it didnt miss either.

does this sound right to you? i am confused.

also, strangely, my engine tick (lifters i think) seems to be louder with the larger gap... the smaller gap seems to have quieted it... odd i know.

Friday, February 22, 2008 2:34 PM
I'm running a .060 gap on my plug but I'm also using the DIS-2 with my setup.
I had originally ran a .045 gap until I upgraded with the external DIS setup.
I doubt that if I lessened the gap on my plugs now, I would yield any performance/ power increase.

The gaps for the 2.4 engine is anywhere from .050 to the .060 gap, depending on the year of your car, and according to the manufacturers specs.
I'm not sure why you're engine is ticking but if it's running good, don't worry about it.
Sometimes you could be hearing the injectors firing off, causing that ticking sound.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search