What is easiest engine swap? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What is easiest engine swap?
Wednesday, March 26, 2008 3:17 PM
Well someone has got me interested in doing this. Now I have the LN2 I just recently built, but I really don't have anymore ambition to do @!#$ to that engine now. I am looking to see is the LD9 engine easy to swap in compared to the L61? What all can I use out of my car for each of these swaps and what will I have to modify? I know the obvious like mounts, computer, wireing harness, etc.

2001 Chevy Cavalier (Sandrift Metallic) 8 OHV of raw fury!

Re: What is easiest engine swap?
Wednesday, March 26, 2008 3:56 PM
I think to swap the eco in there, you'd have to change alot of stuff. You can change to the LD9 but I'd think that your best bang for the money/effort would be a 3400 swap. Read the sticky and the thread in the 3RD gen Forum.
Wednesday, March 26, 2008 5:19 PM
get an HOquad and bolt it up

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 5:19 PM
search. But im pretty sure the eco is the easiest swap. Don't take my word for it though....SEARCH

Infantry!!!
Wednesday, March 26, 2008 5:46 PM
Because you have a 2001, an eco swap would be eaisly done, but as far as the easiest? The 2200 to LD9 is the easiest. For the eco swap, you need to change the top motor mount, for a ld9 swap, all you need to change is the engine/trans, and harness, ecm, etc. Im currently doing the swap by myself, and i'm not having any problems what so ever! I bought a 99 z24, and im putting the engine in my 96 sunfire. So far, so good! If you were to do the swap, you would need a 2000+ harness, with a ld9 with no egr (99+) I have driven the z24 for maybe 100 feet, and I can see a big difference in the two engines.
Wednesday, March 26, 2008 6:00 PM
i still say get the quad..SAME work to install..MORE hp when your done

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 6:08 PM
steve white wrote:Because you have a 2001, an eco swap would be eaisly done, but as far as the easiest? The 2200 to LD9 is the easiest. For the eco swap, you need to change the top motor mount, for a ld9 swap, all you need to change is the engine/trans, and harness, ecm, etc. Im currently doing the swap by myself, and i'm not having any problems what so ever! I bought a 99 z24, and im putting the engine in my 96 sunfire. So far, so good! If you were to do the swap, you would need a 2000+ harness, with a ld9 with no egr (99+) I have driven the z24 for maybe 100 feet, and I can see a big difference in the two engines.

Dude?? Dont talk if you dont know. The eco swap would be the easiest period. Meed the motor, upper engine mount, ecm, wire harness , engine and tranny...can be done in a day.
Wednesday, March 26, 2008 10:09 PM
Feelin' really bold? Swap a Caddilac HT-4900 in there! Ain't no one gonna mess with a Cavy with a V-8 under the hood.

Haha, I kid.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Thursday, March 27, 2008 7:24 AM
Philly D wrote:
steve white wrote:Because you have a 2001, an eco swap would be eaisly done, but as far as the easiest? The 2200 to LD9 is the easiest. For the eco swap, you need to change the top motor mount, for a ld9 swap, all you need to change is the engine/trans, and harness, ecm, etc. Im currently doing the swap by myself, and i'm not having any problems what so ever! I bought a 99 z24, and im putting the engine in my 96 sunfire. So far, so good! If you were to do the swap, you would need a 2000+ harness, with a ld9 with no egr (99+) I have driven the z24 for maybe 100 feet, and I can see a big difference in the two engines.

Dude?? Dont talk if you dont know. The eco swap would be the easiest period. Meed the motor, upper engine mount, ecm, wire harness , engine and tranny...can be done in a day.

What makes it easier then the 2.4? All you need is the engine and trans, harness and ecm. No need to grind then weld in a new mount. Its probably going to be more expensive to do an ld9 swap, because the engines are getting harder to come by. If you have a 2000+, it would be silly to do an ld9 swap, but I still feel it would be easier then an eco swap. The 3400 is the hardest, because you need to do a lot of custom wiring, exhaust, etc. For a 95-99, the ld9 swap is easiest, the 3400 and the eco are about the same. If you really want to go for something over the top, Look at this!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, March 27, 2008 7:34 AM
Thursday, March 27, 2008 7:33 AM
Nickelin Dimer wrote:Feelin' really bold? Swap a Caddilac HT-4900 in there! Ain't no one gonna mess with a Cavy with a V-8 under the hood.

Haha, I kid.

don't kid.. someone on jco just did that

"If you have no clue what's going on... STFU!"
Thursday, March 27, 2008 7:40 AM
Eco and 2.4 are equal in the dificulty meter but the 2.4 is pita to do a water pump on and has a crappy oiling system. The ecotec has 10 less horse power and 5foot pounds less torque but you don't have to their the motor apart to have a good oiling system. the 2.4 is a good motor. but hand in hand i would pick the eco for it's reliabilty and ease to work on makes it a superoir motor.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 7:54 AM
I thought you didn't have to swap the tranny to do an LD9 swap? Or was it that you didn't have to swap the manual tranny?
Thursday, March 27, 2008 12:02 PM
each motor has a diffrent tranny bolt pattern so yes you have to switch tranny's.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 1:15 PM
I don't think the 3400 swap is the hardest. You can get all the parts to do the swap from any GM dealer or a scrap yard, with the exception of the lower dogbone mount. You can use your existing tranny, and you don't have to mess around with too much wiring if you plan on keeping the motor mildly modded, you can use a 1994 3.1 computer from a 5 speed car.
Thursday, March 27, 2008 3:23 PM
-Knoxfire: Yes, the LD9 (A.k.a. Quad4) HAs a unique bellhousing mounting face pattern that requires a different trans or bellhousing (Made if not available) to swap it in place of the LN2. The Eco-tec has the now "classic" Metric bolt pattern like is used with just about every engine that sees transverse-mounted application in a FWD car from the factory, body regardless. This is why I suggested the HT-4900 swap, as it relates to the Archie Industries HT-4500 swap for the Fiero. The irony: The Fiero's rear suspension & engine craddle (Not to mention corporate decided choices for engines) were taken from the front of the now infamous FWD X-body (The Ciatation). Yet with all the trickle-down there is for LN2-pwrd S-truck guys that comes from & and is used by J-car LN2 builders, you never hear of Ciatation builders that draw for the huge aftermarket for the Fiero. Funny, huh?

-Mike: Didn't know about that one. Man, he must have a hard time hookin'-up. Even with the tail way in the air with rock-like springs to compensate.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Thursday, March 27, 2008 4:05 PM
This is definitely an interesting subject. I will start pricing out engines here and see what happens. The engine wont probably go in till this upcoming winter for I will be doing mods to it while she is out of the car. I will keep you guys posted as to what I find.

2001 Chevy Cavalier (Sandrift Metallic) 8 OHV of raw fury!

Saturday, December 16, 2023 4:55 PM
LIKE TO SEE THAT
EASYGOINGENT@HOTMAIL.COM
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search