Thrice's Turbo TC/Q4 Hybrid Build - Page 13 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Thrice's Turbo TC/Q4 Hybrid Build
Friday, April 19, 2013 5:29 PM
Zs Z wrote:Going bigger and better?

Monday, May 06, 2013 5:40 PM
So everyone (no one) is probably wondering "what is thrice up to?" ....well.....

ID1000cc Injectors

BW S250 (left) vs. my new BW S362 FMW (right)

Removed a lot of the cancer (rust) from the block so I can paint it.

And because being different is fun, modifying the LG0 intake cam tower to run the CPS sensor, because I didn't want to cut up the rare HG2 cam.

I also have main/rod bearings on their way to me from Aaron at TTR

I think my turbo choice speaks for itself as "goin' for broke"

woot

Monday, May 06, 2013 7:19 PM
I was

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, May 07, 2013 9:11 AM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:I was

Awww thanks Mike! ^.^ lol

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 9:21 AM
Good to see you're making progress. Keep it up!

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, May 10, 2013 9:36 AM
Got my bearings in

Only thing that sucks is Clevite discontinued the Tri-Metal 77 main and rods, and have been replaced by their aluminum ones. Guess we'll see just how long they can last without crushing under the weight of 25psi from a 62mm inducer/ 83.5mm exducer Borg Warner lol.

Friday, May 10, 2013 11:38 AM
Y3llowCav wrote:Good to see you're making progress. Keep it up!

Thanks man, I feel like i can't move on without finishing the car. I'm one of those guys that can't just give up on something due to lack of interest. No matter how long it takes, i owe it to myself to get the damn thing finished. Thankfully, that will be soon because I'm getting a house with my buddy, and i can't afford to hold off any longer.

Friday, May 10, 2013 2:41 PM
I believe the "PC term" is Domestic Partner.

Looking good, keep it up!

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Saturday, May 11, 2013 10:31 AM
SpeedRacerZ wrote:I believe the "PC term" is Domestic Partner.

Looking good, keep it up!

Damnit B, that was supposed to be on the down low! lol I told him my only stipulation for living together was shirts must be worn at all times but pants are optional :p haha.

Round 2 of telephone tag with the machine shop has begun. They say they're open Saturdays till 2pm, but i'm starting to believe that's a lie. So I'm going to have to take an afternoon off work during the week to take my stuff down there. Also going to be having the 086 head flow benched while everything's there, so we'll see if I've learned anything about porting/polishing (decided to do it myself to save a little bit of money/time).

Thanks for the kind words everyone, i'm not looking to break records, but I am hoping to make it into the top 3 boosted LD9 hp numbers.

Saturday, May 11, 2013 3:48 PM
Oops, my bad!

I'm surprised I'm still as high as I am on those lists! Even after all these years! lol

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Monday, May 13, 2013 11:12 AM
hey that turbo looks familiar lol hope you get good numbers out of it

RIP Cpl Derek Kerns And Cpl Robby Reyes
24th MEU VMM-261 (REIN) V22 Crewchiefs
11 April 2012 Morocco (African Lion)

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 6:55 AM
MillerBilt Racing wrote:hey that turbo looks familiar lol hope you get good numbers out of it

Thanks again Chris for the snail and injectors! I hope to do well by you, with them lol.

I finally got in my drill bit i needed to finish the hole for the CPS sensor, so now all that's left to complete the cam housing is to machine a little further into the cover to seat the sensor .050" away from the cam's pickup lobe, and weld in the insert i machined.

Thursday, May 16, 2013 6:27 AM
Looking good dude. Im really excited to see this build progress further.

Thursday, May 16, 2013 9:29 AM
gtpsunfire wrote:Looking good dude. Im really excited to see this build progress further.

Thanks Darren! I could've used the same pep talk you gave Chris, but 3 years ago lol. It's an odd feeling to finally be pushing forward, to be honest.

Finished machining the cam housing last night, and just need to TIG the spacer in place which is going to happen tonight.

Thursday, May 16, 2013 9:38 AM
Stock sensor gap or less I assume?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Friday, May 17, 2013 9:13 AM
I aimed for the stock gap of .050" and got it smack on. Wasn't expecting to get it exactly, I was thinking I'd be within at least + or - .005". I nearly dropped a brick out the backside when i read the measurement.

Most difficult part was getting the right angle because the outside of the LD9 tower has the sensor seated at a different reading than the inside of the cover would suggest.

Not the best looking welds, but this was my first time attempting to TIG cast aluminum. It does hold water!

The kind of @!#$ty thing that happened to me is, i braced the housing as best i could but it still warped ever so slightly that the cam is now a little more snug seated in the bearing journals. I'm hoping i can fix this with bolting down the housing and heating it up again with the cam inside.

Friday, May 17, 2013 11:05 AM
Nice! hopefully you can resolve the warping issue.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, May 17, 2013 11:12 AM
Sean - that is some bad a$$ work man! You've def come a long way!

What are you going to do about the threaded boss for the sensor? A tiny bit more welding and some drilling/tapping?

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Friday, May 17, 2013 4:19 PM
SweetnessGT wrote:Sean - that is some bad a$$ work man! You've def come a long way!

What are you going to do about the threaded boss for the sensor? A tiny bit more welding and some drilling/tapping?

-Chris-

Yep, i have a bit more scrap aluminum laying around the shop to use as a "post" that i'll TIG and then drill/tap to secure the CPS sensor down. Needed the sensor in place before I could figure out my mounting space, but now that the hard part is more or less done, I can work my extremely rough and inexperienced magic to make it "stay" lol.

And thanks Chris, I've grown up a "bit" since the last time i really did anything to the car. It just took some time for me to step back and realize what i was doing, and what NOT to do. Which was half-ass things. I also didn't really have a clear goal for the car before, other than turbo it. Now I have the top 3 boosted LD9's in my sight.

Got tired of that feeling of being stressed out when thinking about working on the car too. Turns out the only way to get passed that is to actually work on the car, oddly enough haha.

Y3llowCav - Thanks! if i can't fix the warpage, i'm affraid to say i'll just have to give-in to what i was really really hoping to avoid....cutting up the HG2 for the LD9 tower and PS pump

Thursday, May 30, 2013 8:33 AM
Didn't get too much done over the last week sadly, @!#$ got in the way...again..

Thursday, May 30, 2013 8:40 AM
winning.

PRND321 Till I DIE

Thursday, May 30, 2013 1:16 PM
i absolutely love the ingenuity in you, sir! lol great job at making something new. i really like that.

however, with that said.... in the end i think you shoulda just did the modding on the cam. honestly, the cps wont hurt anything if say you wanna sell to a true quad 4 owner down the road. the only thing that might be of some concern to someone is the power steering end being lopped off. now... if you really think about it, a 2.4 power steering setup would save weight, and make things so much easier to just convert over to for a quad 4 motor that i think you could still sell it to one if you had to. if quad 4 owners arent looking into the ld9 power steering setup as an upgrade they really ought to be...

but again, i love how you tried to do it different. i really hope it works out for you due to that warping issue.

ive been wanting to see you do your thing with this setup for years LOL. cant wait to see it finally come to fruition.

M45/OS crank/2.4 snout. It's nice to be injected but I love being blown!
Thursday, May 30, 2013 1:26 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:ive been wanting to see you do your thing with this setup for years LOL. cant wait to see it finally come to fruition.

x2, lol.

Nice work!

"In Oldskool we trust"
Saturday, June 01, 2013 11:05 AM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:i absolutely love the ingenuity in you, sir! lol great job at making something new. i really like that.

however, with that said.... in the end i think you shoulda just did the modding on the cam. honestly, the cps wont hurt anything if say you wanna sell to a true quad 4 owner down the road. the only thing that might be of some concern to someone is the power steering end being lopped off. now... if you really think about it, a 2.4 power steering setup would save weight, and make things so much easier to just convert over to for a quad 4 motor that i think you could still sell it to one if you had to. if quad 4 owners arent looking into the ld9 power steering setup as an upgrade they really ought to be...

but again, i love how you tried to do it different. i really hope it works out for you due to that warping issue.

ive been wanting to see you do your thing with this setup for years LOL. cant wait to see it finally come to fruition.

Thanks Brad. My whole intention was to keep it a true Quad/LD9 hybrid with complete LD9 bottom end, and complete LG0 top end including the PS pump. I like to try things a little different, and after a long conversation with Chris (SweetnessGT) about low RPM/ Idling tuning/Drivability while running in Batch Fire, I decided to try my hand at modifying the easily replaceable HO cam tower cover as apposed to spending extra money on cutting up the rare cam. Ironically, if my angle calculations are off at all or the sensor placement (they shouldn't be, but I guess only time will tell) I'll have to run without the sensor in Batch Fire mode anyways until I can tear the head apart and do the cam work I hoped to avoid lol. I'm all about learning experiences, no-matter how grueling.

Y3llowCav - Thanks! we'll see how she runs soon enough.

There's gonna be a small hiatus for a week because I had to catch a flight to Thunder Bay because my grandfather had 2 strokes, and doesn't have more than a couple weeks.

Friday, June 07, 2013 11:52 AM
Well family drama aside, i ordered a new T3 housing for the S300 FMW which i'd like to start referring to as the BFW (Big Fu<king wheel).
Ordered it yesterday at lunch from Full-Race in Arizona, and i received it this morning in Waterloo Canada.....that's some quick shipping lol.

Specs are: Single scroll T3 .70A/R 3" V-band out. Turbine wheel: 75mm Inducer; 68mm Exducer. Compressor wheel: 62mm Inducer; 83.5mm Exducer.

Just realized i never did list up the size of the turbo

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search