Thrice's Turbo TC/Q4 Hybrid Build - Page 3 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Thrice's Turbo TC/Q4 Hybrid Build
Wednesday, June 04, 2008 2:00 PM
Well it's been a while and i only JUST recently got time to work on my motor. But my clicking finger has been making some mighty purchases .

SOOOO lets starts with the BIG stuff!

Ebay has never surprised me as much as this, but i found a fully rebuilt Borg Warner S200 for $350 shipped ($45 for customs though )

I was too excited when i went to the post office to pick it up, and went nuts on the box in my car. packing peanuts @!#$ suck.......cuz they're statiky....and go everywhere...

And here is the tank of a turbo. 1.15AR exhaust housing. a very solid 23-30 LBS

I recieved my Phenolic HO manifold spacer from Shawn over at www.quadper4mance.com (Thanks again man, nice doing business with you)

The very short amount of time i DID have to physicaly work on the engine was spent taking apart the exhaust valvetrain and porting the hell out of one of the ports. It's not done yet obviously, theres still a good 2 hours of work left on just this port alone.

In this picture i know it looks like i worked away to much material from the one side, but it's just the lighting that makes it look too thin. I'll take some better pictures when i find my digital camera (these were all taken with my cellphone....gay-ass 1.3MP)

and last i don't have pictures of, since UPS won't be dropping them off till friday, but they are my front and rear strut tower braces.

This is my last update for a while because i'm leaving for my vacation tomorrow night (i know, before UPS manages to make it to my house). It's going to be short though cuz i love working regular hours, and getting my vacation pay ontop of the hourly wage

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 3:05 PM
a 1.15 a/r turbine?!?

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 4:33 PM
DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:a 1.15 a/r turbine?!?

Thats what i was thinking!?!

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 6:26 PM
Haha, i know what it looks like. my bad, i guess i should have mentioned that i'm swapping the exhaust housing for a Bullseye Power 16Trim 4 bolt .70AR Stainless Steel housing. Making this a "S256". My compressor is a bit smaller then they use, but not by much.

Sunday, June 08, 2008 11:27 AM
Hey Thrice are you going to get your pistons coated, what cams are you running and what type of turbo manifold are you using, header or log?

Also what whp/wtq are you shooting for?
Sunday, June 08, 2008 6:45 PM
You have a hell of a time making up your mind don't you?

DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:a 1.15 a/r turbine?!?

Don't be hatin'
Sunday, June 08, 2008 7:32 PM
haha, yeah i really do have trouble making up my mind ! hey whalesac, did you ever get to test the 1.15 A/R on your motor?

Dale- I'm only aiming for roughly 300whp/300wtq but i think it'll be VERY easy to squeeze 10-20whp more when it's all said and done. And since i'm not goin for a huge horsepower number i'm only gonna use a logger made by moi. $700 for a custom header is a bit rough. It's not that i'm cheap, i just believe there are more efficient ways to make good horsepower then needing to sell your first born child for a few extra ponies. Originally i was thinking my pistons were going to come coated since my other set (.020" overbore 9:1 [THEY'RE STILL FOR SALE!!! $500 TAKES THEM!!!....GTA ONLY]) came coated, even though they were off the shelf wiseco's lol. But they didn't, so i guess i'm going to have to get them done. and i'll be running HO cams. I may possibly switch to the old power steering pump style!

and i'm not going to be runnin 14psi right off the bat, i'm starting out with a 7psi spring, then work up to the dsm eater i want it to be

Sunday, June 08, 2008 8:25 PM
Thrice . wrote:haha, yeah i really do have trouble making up my mind ! hey whalesac, did you ever get to test the 1.15 A/R on your motor?

Considering the TIG welder I need/want to complete the header (among other projects) does not fit a full-time college student's salary...I think it is safe to say that my engine won't be seeing the snail this year like I had hoped. Maybe next year. But when I do, the header will be built with cylinders "1 & 4" and "2 & 3" paired to a divided T4 flange in hopes of finding a smaller T4 AR housing. I can assure you our small streetable engines don't rev nearly high enough to move the amount of air necessary to remain fully spooled between gears (or maybe NEVER fully spool) with a 1.15AR turbine housing on this turbo. But I'll definately give it a try first.
Monday, June 09, 2008 6:16 PM
My Turbonetics 62-1/T4 has a.7 compressor a/r and a .81 exhaust a/r i choose it so I would have the potential for big hp/tq and some guys on SRT4 forums use them with success and they also have 2.4L engines.
Wednesday, August 27, 2008 11:47 AM
So it's been almost 2 months and i've got nothing to show for it........yep, that's a load of crap.

I've been storing parts in my office for quite a bit now to try and make my August deadline but i now see it WILL NOT HAPPEN! Only beacuse i have to pay my own way to go to my sister's wedding which is in St. Lucia (bit of distance from the coast of Barbados) well there goes 3 grand. So from now untill December, honestly, it'll be deader then hell in this thread.

So this is all i've got done (minus some surprises that are still in transit) that won't be seeing daylight and an engine bay till March/April-ish 09.

my home made turbo header flange.....yeah, i decided to go header instead of Log. (I've always been horrid at deciding)

My FPR relocator (thanks goes out to John Benham for the GP!)

Team GREEN LSD

All new timing components

99 Grand Am Aluminum control arms

Timing housing FINALLY painted

Neon Rear Disk Brake swap (thanks to Joshua Dearman for putting together the GP!)

Yonaka Motorsports 550hp intercooler (29" x 9" x 3" with endtanks)

ou-oh...what could be in here?

yep, 38mm Tial wastegate with .5bar spring(7psi)

effin' SHINEY!

7psi wasn't enough to keep me happy, so i bought a 10.51 psi spring for an extra 28 bucks haha. Man i love deals....

and just because i can, one more shot of the snail.

I've got 3-4 more things already in the mail to my house or office so...they may be 1 or 2 more updates at most...unless i decide to brake the bank and buy more stuff before i go away lol.....it sucks being 20 and in school.......damn educations

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 12:03 PM
hmmm it will be interesting to see how long that engine lasts.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 6:44 AM
So today i got in the tubing for the header. 1 3/4"

Nothing beats 20 feet for 60 bucks.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 9:23 AM
Litterally this showed up 20 minutes ago....and it's looks hott.....yeah, so hott it deserves 2 T's!
enjoy

Thursday, August 28, 2008 10:18 AM
are you running 2 38mm wastegates or 1, cause i think only 1 38 on a twin scroll header would spike

R.I.P. Brian Klocke, you will never be forgotten
Thursday, August 28, 2008 11:41 AM
It won't be twin scroll, It'll be an Undivided T3. There isn't a Twinscroll T4 housing option available for my turbo in the correct size A/R.

a single 38mm should be fine for my trial and error runs and such at 7 psi. When the boost gets upped later in the future i will upgrade to twin 38mm's. By then i'll possibly have a larger turbo as well

Thursday, August 28, 2008 7:08 PM
Boosted2point4 wrote:are you running 2 38mm wastegates or 1, cause i think only 1 38 on a twin scroll header would spike

Think one 44mm with work fine?

Looks like a fun setup!

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Friday, August 29, 2008 6:49 AM
Quote:

Looks like a fun setup!

We shall see lol. I'm just hoping it's more "fun" then headache. So far things are going pretty smoothly...slow, but smooth none the less.

If i decide on a bigger WG before the header is complete, i'll probably just post this up in the classified forum. Obviously it wouldn't be used yet.

Quote:

Think one 44mm with work fine?

......you have one for sale? lol

Tuesday, September 02, 2008 9:34 AM
mini-update

Intercooler piping arrived. all powdercoated black.....semi sleeper....maybe...

very strange, but the kit cam with actual SS T-bolt clamps!.....good find for me i guess eh? E-bay does have some hidden jems.

It's funny cuz it came with a know-off BOV, so i gave it to my DSM friend and he is praising this thing to high heaven thinking it will "rape" his 1G DSM BOV

Thursday, September 18, 2008 9:30 AM
Ok i lied about not buying more parts...well, not really. My battery finally gave in after 7 going on 8 years of abuse so i decided to upgrade instead of just getting a regular replacement. $408 later i arrive home with this.....

and this is how it resides in my engine bay and has been for 3 days now lol. Saturday i'm re-locating it to the trunk, don't worry.

...yes, that is twine....haha..

Friday, September 19, 2008 11:24 AM
Love the twine. Reminds me of the time i used wood for a throttle body spacer because I needed something quick, or the car wouldn't run.... Long story...

Good luck with the build. I would think 1 38 mm should be fine. My buddy runs 15-19 psi on his 2.0 motor all day long with a 38 mm tial wastegate.

Friday, September 19, 2008 11:50 AM
Thing is though, that's a 2.0L where as the 2.4L has more exhaust gases to get rid of. If the gases aren't realeased fast enough, boost spike will occur and possible *boom*. But, this isn't a beast by any means. i'm only after 300-350whp. I'm sure i'll be craving power later and might trail off to a larger turbo and Divided T3 housing which is when the 44mm wastegate will be purchased.

Friday, September 19, 2008 6:58 PM
That BOV is huge! Should sound good, too.

I miss my Sunfire, I want it back!
MMMM, HIDs
You will be missed.
Tuesday, February 10, 2009 9:30 AM
4 Months spending nothing and a 1 week vaction in St. Lucia later, i'm finally getting back down to business.

mmmmm, the Twins

and after a bit of turning the idea over and over in my head, i've decided to switch to the quad power steering set-up.....which can only mean one thing....

No need for a hex.....let your mind wander

More updates comming, and lots of them! I want this biatch finished by my 21st b-day....heres to hoping!

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 11:04 AM
start putting all this @!#$ together lol

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 12:00 PM
Cavalier2000 wrote:start putting all this @!#$ together lol

Oh believe me, i'm just itching to start assembling but i'm missing some vital parts still (valves, ARP head and main studs, SS braided Fuel line, AFPR, and the turbine exhaust housing). But those shouldn't be more then a couple weeks to a month away.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search