Trifecta Ecotec tuning - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Trifecta Ecotec tuning
Friday, June 20, 2008 11:16 AM
I spoke to Vince on the phone today and he said if there is enough interest, he would offer tunes for the 03 and 04 Cavaliers and Sunfires.

He currently has a tune for the 05 model, of which the programming is a little different.

What his company does, is you tell him the mods you have and he ships you a lender GT tuner. You plug this into the connector under the dash and turn on the GT tuner. It then downloads the new tuning which takes 10 minutes. I know many of you already know how to do this, but it is for the ones who did not know...

Anyways, I am told the tuning is going to be the same unless there is radical changes done to the motor.
Changes such as a larger/ ported intake manifold, porting on the head, cams, and so on.

Just for an intake and a full exhaust, the tuning is basic.

There are two fuel programs tuned into the computer. One is for low octane and one for high. The computer detects the fuel used and makes the best use of it. Higher octane lands the best results on this tune of course.

The gains on an 07 Cobalt for an example have been about 10hp, but the gas mileage gain was actually it's best attribute. I wont even say how much as no one will believe it anyways.

The rev limiter is removed, so is the speed governor.

The tune for an 07 is $250, plus $25 shipping. This includes return shipping of the GT tuner computer. It also requires a $200 deposit for the computer, of which is not charged unless you ruin the GT tuner or whatever.

This is a lot more convenient for most of us with an intake and full exhaust, but for the ones who have many more extensive mods it is not as optimum. HP tuners and a dyno would be best for that.

I heard Trifecta has tunes for forced air induction too. They can tune any configuration you want, but as I said, highly modded cars are better tuned live and not with a canned tune.

I hope they make a canned tune for my 03 Sunfire, $250 for 10 more horses and a lot better gas mileage alone is worth it to me. Hell, a good intake costs the same and lands less results.

2003 Sunfire with a 2 1/4 inch turbo muffler, 2 1/4 piping to a 2 1/2 inch resonator (bigger to make up for the baffling), a 2 1/4 inch catalytic converter, 2 1/4 inch down-pipe, a ported LSJ manifold, a drop in K&N filtercharger and sports a Bomber body kit with a VIS Invader hood.

Re: Trifecta Ecotec tuning
Friday, June 20, 2008 12:04 PM
why would you want the rev limiter removed, unless you have an MSD ignition to make your own rev limit ?
Friday, June 20, 2008 12:15 PM
I guess this feature is more for the people with a manual.
You can opt not to have the rev limiter removed.

2003 Sunfire with a 2 1/4 inch turbo muffler, 2 1/4 piping to a 2 1/2 inch resonator (bigger to make up for the baffling), a 2 1/4 inch catalytic converter, 2 1/4 inch down-pipe, a ported LSJ manifold, a drop in K&N filtercharger and sports a Bomber body kit with a VIS Invader hood.
Friday, June 20, 2008 12:23 PM
I am not a fan of mail order tunes....they are fine for base line, but need to be dialed in for your specific application.

Friday, June 20, 2008 1:01 PM
Quote:

The rev limiter is removed, so is the speed governor.

A revlimiter and speed limiter can not just be "removed" from the program..it can only be "changed" so i think you need to get back with him and ask him just what exactly it will be ..........if he raises the rev limiter too much and someone blows their engine i could see some legal problems coming for his company...we all know theres some dumb kid out there that will do it......

Friday, June 20, 2008 1:26 PM
Well if theres something to tune an Auto 03 with bolt-on's i would be down.. Where are these guys located? what altitude? (that can play a MAJOR factor in mail order tunes..

and if i got this tune installed and later purchased HPT because i wanted a more in-depth tune would HPT work? or a GM reflash?

Saturday, June 21, 2008 4:05 AM
Trifecta has a good rep with the cobalt guys; ive done a lot of reading. I think they also do kappa's. A real high octane tune would be sweet!

Agreed that we need to know what the rev limit is set to - removing it completely for a canned tune for I/H/E is senseless and dangerous. If they set it to 7k, that'd be ideal and a lil overkill for most

Saturday, June 21, 2008 4:05 AM
dammit, i forgot to ask if there is a charge to go back to stock tuneage
Saturday, June 21, 2008 5:38 AM
John Benham wrote:I am not a fan of mail order tunes....they are fine for base line, but need to be dialed in for your specific application.

Ding Ding!!

Without any capability to log sensor data and send it back to them for revisions, you're basically just shooting in the dark with this. I always recommend a good dyno tune over.... well, anything else.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Saturday, June 21, 2008 12:20 PM
still tho, this sort of thing is prob better than nothing. some ask about altitude and other factors but then why not go after gm for setting all base tunes in our cars stock without a baro sensor...
obviously the stock tune works, now with some mods i.e. I/H/E if there was another base tune created to more suit these it wouldnt hurt to have that vs. the stock one.

im also not saying this is the best way, or most efficient way, but stock comes a certain way doesnt it. just think if I/H/E was stock from gm they would have some other base tune our cars would be running correct

good luck with this, id love to see how this goes and what kind of improvements come about.

Monday, June 23, 2008 6:42 PM
Quote:

dammit, i forgot to ask if there is a charge to go back to stock tuneage

I asked about what if the dealer reflashes the computer back to stock, which is rare but sometimes done for updates or whatever. I am sure they said they will do one free reflash as long as you pay all shipping.

As for flash back to stock, I asked about this too.
I am told that they sell a cable that hooks straight to your laptop for $250.
This cable will allow you to take this tune, put it in your computer and go from the canned tune to stock anytime you want.

I am tempted by this.

Call Trifecta and ask them as I did a lot of talking and do not want to pass on 98% accurate info.

Monday, June 23, 2008 6:47 PM
Quote:

Well if theres something to tune an Auto 03 with bolt-on's i would be down.. Where are these guys located? what altitude? (that can play a MAJOR factor in mail order tunes..

and if i got this tune installed and later purchased HPT because i wanted a more in-depth tune would HPT work? or a GM reflash?

My wife's Sunfire is an auto 03 and it is half the reason I talked to Trifecta.
Like I said, if they get enough people asking and wanting the tune, they will do it.

You can have max bolt ons and the canned stock tune will be fine.
Only if you start porting or adding modded cams will you have to have it dyno tuned for it to do any good.

This canned tune is all about convenience, better gas mileage and a little more horses to give you an edge.
For $250, I feel it is a great deal.

Oh yeah, down the road you can use HP tuners or whatever you want.

Monday, June 23, 2008 6:54 PM
i dont see it being worth it... you're putting out for a one time generic tune for near half the cost of a program that allows you to infinitely tune your system as many times as you want, and to datalog with the same program. im not impressed.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Monday, June 23, 2008 7:35 PM
Quote:

i dont see it being worth it... you're putting out for a one time generic tune for near half the cost of a program that allows you to infinitely tune your system as many times as you want, and to datalog with the same program. im not impressed.

Your not getting the point I guess as I already said it is not optimum for some and why.

For someone who just has bolt ons, and uses their car to get to work, then this is perfect.
I am paying half and on top of this, not paying for dyno time and not paying for the cost of the dyno shop to tune the car.

Some of you know how to work the HP tuners program and that is great.
Some work or know someone working at a speed shop and that is great.

I personally do not work at one nor know anyone that does.
I just want to spend under $300 for a tune that will support max bolt-ons or even a stock configuration.
I know I am not the only one.

When it is all said and done, and you use a more optimum HP tuners program, and pay for the dyno and the staff to do the programming, the cost is way more than the extra couple hp it will produce IMHO.

It is just an economy car to me.

Monday, June 23, 2008 7:59 PM
i seem to remember a company called rsm offering mail order tunes. still kinda skeptical after that.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Monday, June 23, 2008 8:36 PM
How about Hyper-Tech?
What a jip.
While it is not a canned tune, their chips blow.
I did not notice anything performance or mileage wise with their chip for my Fiero 2m6.

Trifecta has people who have done their before and after dynos (not Trifecta workers), and also they have noted increases in mileage. The guys on www.cobaltss.net are also skeptics and do not want to get ripped off either.

Monday, June 23, 2008 8:52 PM
SS-J wrote:Well if theres something to tune an Auto 03 with bolt-on's i would be down.. Where are these guys located? what altitude? (that can play a MAJOR factor in mail order tunes..

Trifecta is in Duvall, WA, bout 500 ft above sea level, however a quick jaunt down the highway gets lower altitude

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, June 23, 2008 8:53 PM

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 6:34 AM
I would be interested in this, I have intake and full exhaust and light weight pulleys Sounds excatly like what I have been lookng for, as I have no idea how to even begin tuning my car and would propbably just blow up the engine, plus I am done with performance mods other than a little more weight reduction,

I would want my rev limiter right where it is though maybe moved up 100-200 rpm's at the most so I dont have to worry about bouncing off of it as much, but 7000 is too high.

can they tune for 87 octand or do you have to go higher can they do mid grade or is just straight premium all you can use?
Tuesday, June 24, 2008 6:37 AM
just re-read the part about 2 seperate tunes for different octanes, what would happen if you ran mid grade I wonder?
Tuesday, June 24, 2008 5:31 PM
I am betting it would stick to the low octane program.
If it went for the high octane, it would detect pre-ignition/ ping.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 5:48 AM
have you spoke with him anymore about this, i would be interested, in doing it, would they do some dyno tuning on a fully bolt on car and get some results up before marketing it?

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 7:08 PM
I did tell Trifecta to e-mail when some progress is done on the 03-04 Ecotec project.

I will update when information or updates come in.

I'm pretty sure that the 02 is different than the 03 and 04 programming wise.

I think he said that they already have programming for the 05, I do know that the 05 programming is different.

Friday, June 27, 2008 5:36 AM
I don't think everyone realizes the point of a canned tune - to quote the great Ron Popeil - "set it and forget it"

No it will never yield as much power as a dyno tune, but it will yield a respectable gain in power and effiency while adjusting the limiters to reasonable levels. Canned tune products are not really meant to compete with HPT or stand alones; they are their own niche for those who want a little bump but do not have the skill or motivation to do it themselves.

And you cannot beat the price. Yes you can get HPT basic for 500 and pro for 650. If your taking the car to the dyno add about 50-250 to that. At a mimimun you need a WBO2 as well. Im not bitching about the cost of tuning BTW, just being realistic.

I'd totally be in for a 2004 tune. I didnt realize that there wre differences in the 2003-2005 ECU, thats interesting.
Friday, June 27, 2008 6:24 AM
thats my thought exactly, I've searched through the tuning forum a bunch to see if there was enough info in there to build up a knowledge of how to tune with HPT but so far I haven't found enough to make me feel confident to plunk down huge amounts of cash on something I could fry my engine with.
Friday, June 27, 2008 8:13 AM
lol if they can do it then hell i am now offering these "canned" tunes lol. CANNED TUNES FOR EVERYONE!

Vega Motor Sports now offers " canned" tunes aka upping rev limiter and enabling pe mode faster then charging ppl ass loads for bs

BSin ppl FTW!

</Sarcasm>

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search