coil swap problem - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
coil swap problem
Saturday, September 20, 2008 4:18 PM
Ok ive got everything to do my coil swap on my 2000 2.4. So I go out and hook it all up and fire it up and nothin. Car wont fire. I thought I did everything right. So what im doing is posting pics of the inside of the 2.2 icm where im suppose to gut it and rewire it, which is where I think my problem my be. Also there is a pic of the three pig tails im suppose to splice together. Please tell me what you see wrong here. Please if your going to be a smart ass about this then I would rather not have your help. But if anyone can help me with this I would love your input. thanks

This is the pic of the inside of the 2.2 icm where I gutted it and rewired it like it looked like the digram said to do, where im thinking my problem is. Let me know if you see something wrong cause im sure there is.

Here is the three pig tail. I have set them up in the pic the way I understood the were suppose to go together.
Pink to brown
Red and black to the middle white
white to white
Orange not used

Re: coil swap problem
Saturday, September 20, 2008 4:51 PM

You don't need to tear apart the inside of the ICM. All you do is cut the 2.4 plug of your wiring harness and attach the plug from the 2.2l. OR you can use the 2.4 ICM which is easier and you dont have to cut anything up. You @!#$ that @!#$ up lol Goodluck. lol

Saturday, September 20, 2008 5:23 PM
Wow... yeah... you need to get an icm and pig tail set from a 98+ 2.2. The wires match color for color.

I know the route you were trying to take, but if you don't even know what you were trying to do...

You have the older style and it is a pain in the ass to do, not to mention the rest of this...

Saturday, September 20, 2008 5:35 PM
Why the @!#$ does everyone have to be @!#$s on here. If you read the @!#$ sorry ass write ups on here you will see that I did just like the write ups said to do. So thanks for all ur supports. Man these forums become more and more worthless and full of dicks. thanks guys. If anyone else on here has some helpful info and doesn't want to be a prick then please help THANK YOU!!!!
Saturday, September 20, 2008 5:38 PM
Oh and the the coils and icm came off a 2000 2.2 for your info!!!!!!!
Saturday, September 20, 2008 6:00 PM
brandon king wrote:Why the @!#$ does everyone have to be @!#$s on here. If you read the @!#$ sorry ass write ups on here you will see that I did just like the write ups said to do. So thanks for all ur supports. Man these forums become more and more worthless and full of dicks. thanks guys. If anyone else on here has some helpful info and doesn't want to be a prick then please help THANK YOU!!!!

Sorry about the post above. Its just that ive been trying to do this for over a month and I can never get a straight answer on any of this. All anyone on here has done is some crazy hand drawings that make no since at all. Here are the two write ups I got my info from. If this info is not correct or there is an easier way to do this then maybe someone should take the time to write a better write up on this. If its as easy as everyone makes it out to be then why can't we get a better write up.

These are the two write ups I was directed to go but when doing the coil swap. I did just what they told me to do
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&i=393536&t=391502#393536

http://www.teammelee.com/IgnitionWriteup.html
Saturday, September 20, 2008 6:55 PM
I made a thread about it when I did it. So look harder. I took the time to realize hey, I don't get how to do the swap on the 1 style, so I'll go the easy route, which I told you how to do.

And, if the parts came off a 2000 then you should have gotten the wiring pig tails with it, then cut your plug off and they splice color for color. Like I said.

edit, I can play that card too. : I don't get why everyone has to be a whiney ass little bitch on this website when they don't get spoon fed.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edited Saturday, September 20, 2008 6:58 PM

Saturday, September 20, 2008 7:21 PM
KFLO wrote:I made a thread about it when I did it. So look harder. I took the time to realize hey, I don't get how to do the swap on the 1 style, so I'll go the easy route, which I told you how to do.

And, if the parts came off a 2000 then you should have gotten the wiring pig tails with it, then cut your plug off and they splice color for color. Like I said.

edit, I can play that card too. : I don't get why everyone has to be a whiney ass little bitch on this website when they don't get spoon fed.

Ok well if you made a thread when you did it then where is the link to your thread. What card are you playing lol?
Saturday, September 20, 2008 8:29 PM
Just the complaining and name calling.

Use the search button, I'm not going to do it for you. I didn't do a write up because its so straight forward. Get the 98+ 2.2 icm, coil packs, and the 2 wire plug ins, total there will be like 9 or 10 wires. Then cut the plug off of where it plugs into your stock icm. Then match all colors together and splice them up.

I was giving you a hard time to begin with because you acted like you didn't even know what you were doing or had done to the icm... That part I can't help you with because I used the simple method that I just put into 100% detail.

Sunday, September 21, 2008 10:26 PM
LOL ya I can see now why u gave me a hard time. I did do a search and didnt find anything at all that made it that easy. Thanks for your help and hard time. If there was a write up like this in the library this would have been so much easier. thanks again.
Monday, September 22, 2008 4:05 AM
even though you already got the stuff for the 2.2 coils the neon coils are a very swap i never did a 2.2 swap so i cant compare the two but my swap took less than half an hour

Monday, September 22, 2008 4:44 AM
Here is the write up I referred to when I did mine:

STEP ONE
First step is to remove the IDI cover; this can be done by taking out the 4 bolts on the top of the cover using a 13mm wrench or socket. You must also disconnect the wires on the right side of the cover. If you have the stock intake on you may have to pull your throttle cables/fuel lines out of the way slightly. Once this is done take a pair of wire cutters and snip off the factory ICM plug leaving about 3-4” of wire on it incase something bad happens and you have to reconnect the stock unit

STEP TWO
After Cutting the factory plug off strip the harness on the car leaving about ¼” of bare wire showing and then crimp the red butt-connectors on (hopefully you have a really good set of crimpers! Once you have the connectors on find out where you want to mount the ICM and bracket with coils (see pic #1 above,this is where I chose to mount the coils as it’s a cool spot that has no heat and hey its out of the way for me!) Once you have that spot located you can go ahead and mount the ICM (take the coils/icm off the bracket by taking off the 4, 7/32” bolts while your mounting this) I just simply drilled holes and bolted the bracket using 5/16”X1” grade 8 bolts. I sealed the holes by using some blue silicone saying the holes went through into the wheel well (that’s why the bolts are facing in not out)

Step THREE
After mounting the ICM bracket, remount the ICM/Coils back on and then plug in the harness that you got with the ICM assembly. This is also the part where you hope you got enough of the harness so you don’t have to splice in multiple times!!! Cut off any large amount of excess wire once you figure out the route and then strip ¼” off from each end. This is probably the most simple thing, GM has color coded the two engines the same! Just crimp the wires on the factory harness with the colors matching on the harness you got with the ICM! (Don’t believe me, refer to the wiring diagrams below) The ICM will have no problem controlling the injectors/spark because its just reading information given to it by the cars sensors and then re-routing the information to the PCM!)

Step FOUR
Now that the ICM is mounted and connected to the factory harness tape off the connections and put some plastic covering over it to protect it, tie it up take the extra time to make it look good.

http://www.mts.net/~lintontl/articles/22wiring.JPG
THIS IS THE 2200 WIRING DIAGRAM (SIMILAR TO 2.2L's)

http://www.mts.net/~lintontl/articles/2.4wiring.JPG
THIS IS THE 2.4L's WIRING DIAGRAM

Mine:

30 minutes tops.

Monday, September 22, 2008 10:56 AM
ok one more stupid question. There is two purple wires on the 2.4 harness that is not on the 2.2 harness. Do I just put the two purple wires together cause I dont have any purple wires on the 2.2 pig tails. i think this might be my last stupid question.

If you look at this http://www.mts.net/~lintontl/articles/22wiring.JPG It looks like it shows some purple wires on the 2.2 pig tails and like I stated above I have no purple wires on my 2.2 pgitail
Monday, September 22, 2008 6:56 PM
^^^ Dunno man. I had one purple and one purple and white that matched right up. I actually still have the 2.4 connectors in place and just spliced into the right colored wires. Did this in case a coil went; and I could just swap the 2.4 idi and coils back on, plug and go. The wires were a bit dirty and faded so I cleaned em up to make sure I had the right ones matched up.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 12:06 AM
uflip06 wrote:^^^ Dunno man. I had one purple and one purple and white that matched right up. I actually still have the 2.4 connectors in place and just spliced into the right colored wires. Did this in case a coil went; and I could just swap the 2.4 idi and coils back on, plug and go. The wires were a bit dirty and faded so I cleaned em up to make sure I had the right ones matched up.

well dam. im really need to know this cause im not trying to mess anything up. I have two purple wires on my 2.4 harness that I dont have on the 2.2 pigtails and dont know what to do with the two purples. If anyone know please let me know. The 2.2 coil and pigtail I have is off a 2000 2.2 and I have a 2000 2.4.
Wednesday, September 24, 2008 5:31 AM
i used 2200 coils and icm. You have a purple and a purple and white on the 2200 pig tail and your 2.4 harness. The one purple one has a white stripe on it somewhere so look hard. They are there on any year that i know of. Unless using a 2.2 connector. You have to have 2200 coils,icm,and the lil silver bracket thing, and the two or three plugs with harness for the 2200 coils. I belive it is only two plugs though.

It looks like you are still try to use the older style 2.2 plugs or something. Make sure you got the parts off a 98 to 02 cav or fire that said 2200 sfi on the black intake box piece. but what ever you do don't wire the two together unless you know for sure by wiring diagrams what the wires are.
Sunday, September 28, 2008 4:44 AM
I took the easy way out I brought the Team Green setup with MSD coils and the wiring already done so I just bolted up the coils and it plugged right into the harness.
Sunday, September 28, 2008 11:44 PM
well i got my icm,coils and pig tails from a 2000 2.2 and as u can see in the picture I dont have any purple wires on the 2.2 pigtail. Im going to go back to the junkyard and look. there was 3 or 4 98+ 2.2's out there.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search