Several simple questions - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Several simple questions
Monday, December 15, 2008 10:31 AM
so i will be dropping in the eco onto the z24 soon, and found theres a few things i dont know. i dont have a chilton or haynes for the 03-05 cars yet so i just thought i'd post this up on here to see who can answer some stuff for me. now, onto the questions

first, which of the plugs on the started does the ALT wire connect to? each plug has a different color i the picture.

next, what is this thing, in the red here?

and the evap (in green, i think its the evap anyways...) is that in the right place?

where does this line go? im mostly sure its a vaccuum line, but i have no idea where it hooks to. its coming off the FPR i think.

under the Throttle Body there is this little plug. my dad says a hose most go to it, i say no. what is it and what goes to it?

heres my old 2.4 radiator. where does the green cirlced hose go and where does the red one go?

and last but most important, where else on this engine can i find the vin? i want to run a vin on this engine to learn more about it, and the only one i can find is messed up. the kid who had this valve cover before me decided to grind on it, and my old one was cracked from an inpact of something falling on it, so i dont know where else to look. i know this vin would be different anyways, but i think there has got to be one on the block, i just cant find it!

thats all. thanks for any help you might give

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike wrote:The auto to manual swap is not as involved as you would think.
Get all the parts you need in a pile, and drive the car into it.
They will find their way into the correct places.

Re: Several simple questions
Monday, December 15, 2008 12:58 PM
the black valve is for the Evap system, the vacum line goes from the stock intake box (not manifold) to the FPR, the black cover with 2 bolts is EGR related, its not used and theres no hose under the TB, its plugged, leave it alone.

Monday, December 15, 2008 3:33 PM
also you will need the an eco radiator, upper and lower radiator hose, there is also a steel pipe that links to the lower hose and the resivor. also on the eco hose setup. the lower hose will now be on the driver side of the vehicle and the upper will be on the passenger side. opposite of the 2.4 radiator setup.

for the starter wire. it will connect to the big post that has the nut loosened. if i am not mistaken. should sandwich on there with the wire comming off the positive cable.

there is a lot of info in the 3rd gen section. search for eco swap or something like that. pj flyinskwirl wrote it up.

jason

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 1:26 PM
thanks guys.

would it be possible to retain the 2.4 radiator and use longer hoses?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 1:48 PM
not really because on the eco radiator the driver side is the high side. and that is how you fill your radiator. also the 2.4 radiator has the one on inlet/outlet hole that is at the bottom and its is on the wrong side. just save yourself a headache get the eco radiator.

something else when i tried to use the 2.4 radiator i could not get the coolant to circulate. which caused it to start to get hot.

Thursday, December 18, 2008 1:53 PM
what about the VIN info? where can i find the vin stamped onto the block or somewhere else on the engine?

Thursday, December 18, 2008 9:27 PM
Easy way to roughly identify the year of your eco, the EGR "triangle" was only on early 03 and back heads. Assuming everything on the engine is original, if it has plastic spacers in the fuel injector ports its an 03 if not its probably an 02 or earlier. if the coil cover says 2.2 ecotec, its an 02 or 03. if it says saturn,it could be as old as a 2000. But judging by the fuel system,again assuming its original to the engine, its an early 2003 Ecotec.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search