How to use Neon coils for thr 2.4 instead of 2.2 coils. - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How to use Neon coils for thr 2.4 instead of 2.2 coils.
Wednesday, January 23, 2008 4:52 PM
Alright this all started out as a simpler, cheaper, yet effective way of removing the 2.4 ignition coils and remote mounting a set of coils. Most just follow with the 2.2 (LN2) coil swap with brand new OEM parts for the swap going for 230, and MSD components for the swap going for 250 and neither of these include the plug wires, unless you can get one cheap out of the junkyard or have a parts car you can't beat my over all price tag for this swap. Brand new Borg warner coil with pigtail, and 96 Cavy 2.2 (LN2) wires making a grand total of 95 dollars. So far no issues have been found, and overall smoother running motor and less misfires.

Parts list:
Ignition coil from a Dodge Neon, Mistubishi Eclispe, or Eagle Talon from 95-newer, with correct connector for coil. (Their are both round pins, 95-99 and flat pins 00- current)
Plug wires of your choice, either 2.2 or cut to fits.
Solider and solidering gun.
Electrical tape or shrink tube.
2.4 ICM and connector.
About 8 feet of 14-16 gauge wire.
The little ground strap from inside the the 2.4 coil housing.
And something to make a mounting bracket out of.
Tools:
7/32 socket and ratchet
13mm socket and ratchet
Wire cutters and strippers.
And what ever tools needed to make and mount the bracket.

Work:
First is to pull the IDI cover with the 2.4 ignition setup out and remove all the parts under the cover except for the ICM, losen the ICM up and slide the little ground strap under it and make sure it will fall between the bolts and cam cover when remounting. Everything removed should look like this.

Now your going to need the connectors prepped and make sure when you cut them to leave enough wire to work with. They Should look like this.

And begin wiring. on the 2.4 connector plug you will notice it is labeled A, B, C. A is the positive feed for the coil and should be wired to the center pin on the Neon coil. Make sure you lengthen the wires as you go. B side feeds coil side 2/3 and goes and C side feeds the 1/4 side of the coil. Here is how the pin out should look.

Crappy diagram for those that need it.

And when all wired, extended, solidered, you should be able to wrap the connections you made and run them inside a wire loom. Here is how it looks in progress.

Here is how the harness looks finished.

Now make sure you label you coils and wires as to ease installation. What ya know another picture. This is how it looks pretty much completed.

Now go out side and run your plug wires, connect the coils to the ICM and remount the IDI cover making sure not to pinch anything, then mount down the coils and connect the plug wires to them and test fire. It may take a minute of trouble shooting to get running, just keep trying. Here is my setup, please forgive it looking nasty I was doing it in the dark, and had to have it together for the next morning as my 2.4 coils went out, this weekend hopefully I can get in there to clean it up. Here are 2 pictures.

And finally my tribute to the 2.4 ignition system.

This write-up is as-is and is by no means 100% and I am not responsible and/or liable for any damages or injuries from doing this. This is to be done at your own risk, and please research any mod before doing it. And testing on this mod is on going and so far so good. Best of luck to any one attempting and feel free to ask me any questions.

Re: How to use Neon coils for thr 2.4 instead of 2.2 coils.
Wednesday, January 23, 2008 4:53 PM
Credits go out to Misnblu, Autozone website, Haynes manual, and many many others in this conversion. If I left you out I am sorry, but thank you.

Thursday, January 24, 2008 7:09 AM
very nice job, but it would be better if you used an MSD neon coil, the stock ones suck and die within months, ive had an msd on my neon for years with no problems

Kill list:03 eclipse, 06 GTO, 04 Mach 1 Mustang

Thursday, January 24, 2008 7:32 PM
Neon coils do have one thing in common with 2.4 coils, they are in a very high heat factory location. Maybe remote mounting it will make it last longer? But when I did this no one had the coils in stock in my area, and I needed my car running that night. So far it is running better than before, and I am happy with the mod and that is all that counts to me.

Thursday, January 24, 2008 8:08 PM
sweet man, awesome work .

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Saturday, January 26, 2008 8:28 AM
Heat soak on coils is what kills them.
Removing them from the heat will usually keep the coils in good shape.
Nice setup Dayton.
Glad to help too.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Saturday, January 26, 2008 11:20 AM
I have 1 question tough.

MSD says their Neon coil are rated at 45000volts. The Gm 2 tower are rated at 45000volts.

1 Neon coil = 45000volts
2 GM 2tower - 90000volts

Am I right in saying the neon coil would be more like a stock just relocated?

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Saturday, January 26, 2008 11:40 AM
I dont think that is how it works, what I can dig up from MSD rates the Neon coil at 36,000 volts and the GM coils at 40,000 volts. But that is if the is ample supply of power available. I highly doubt the stock ICM can provide enough, but putting it in with a DIS2 which not only helps timing but provides more power to the coils. But the coils aren't run in series, there are running besides each other, which mean out of each spark from the GM coil 40,000 volts are "possible", and out of the Neon coils 36,000 volts are possible. Inside of the Neon coil is two coils of the same type as a single GM coil. At least that is my understanding of it.

Monday, February 11, 2008 10:13 AM
does anyone have a part number for this connector? i am gonna head to the u pull it in a bit, but more just in case i cant find one, or for others. the msd coil is ordered, will be here tommarow. $75 dollors for the msd. vs $90 for the duracrap.

Monday, February 11, 2008 1:38 PM
well i went down to the u pull it, and they are in the process of rotating the cars out. no access till next week. autozone, advanced, and the local distributors dont have any information on this connector. then i got ahold of the guys down at dodge, and they didnt know what the hell i was talking about. from there they faxed me over a picture to "pick out" the right part. well per their stuff, the connector really wasnt listed. just got off the phone with carquest and same story. not listed.... any suggestions here guys? coil will be here tommarow, i guess from there, just hope i can find the right connector down at allpro...

Monday, February 11, 2008 5:47 PM
alright dodge makes a round pin to flat pin "converter" for the plug. so it would have the correct end if you are using a flat pin coil, they are also the easiest to find. part number is M04897087AA if i remember correctly. from that you should be able to build the conversion, one word of advice though. the connector from the 2.4 ignition that you need, I wouldn't use the one you have for a currently running vehicle, a spare one is better, just in case you have issues. i bought a OEM replacement borg-warner coil from o'rielly's and it came with the pigtail, but no one in town had the msd coil and i needed it that night because my stock ones were toast, so I made do. again the part number i listed is for the flat blade, if you bought a round blade coil you will have to get it out of a yard. feel free if ya got more questions. best of luck.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 10:03 AM
well after a bunch of research, and not being able to find that connector. i talked to a guy at my shop. and showed him what i was looking for. well turns out, THAT EXACT connector is also used on a jeep harness we had laying around up there. we think its the cam position sensor. but not exactly sure, due to the fact, its just a wiring harness laying on the floor. tested it with the neon that was chilling at the shop. and bam. perfect fit. even down to the ghey red safety thing. the coil is supposed to be here by 3pm, and i will be grabbing my plug wires at that time as well. then all we gotta do is start the install.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 3:43 PM
If you have any questions feel free to ask questions or send me an email, should be in my profile.

Friday, February 22, 2008 8:02 AM
well here we go guys. this is good to go. the car starts so much smoother now. first turn. at partial throttle it seems smoother as well. on to the pictures. btw. it took more time with the bracket and the cut to fit msd wires than anything else! btw. if anyone is thinking about this, you can get these msd cut to fit wire set for 37.99. instead of spending 60+ on dura@!#$ cut to fit wires....

well here we go. tell me what you think

comments and credit would be lovely

Friday, February 22, 2008 8:46 AM
What are the part numbers for the Neon coils?
I may try this set up and save a couple bucks.

-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.
Friday, February 22, 2008 2:44 PM
Wow, that looks quite similar to my engine bay.
Here's my setup and I would suggest that you use some wire seperators for your ignition wires.

Here is yours for comparisons and yes, your engine is much newer than mine with alot less miles. It's nice and clean.

Nice setup and good review of the product.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Friday, February 22, 2008 3:12 PM
yeah, i gotta do somthing to clean them all up a bit. i have seen someone put a "whole" through the idi cover for the plug wires, i am debating about doing this, due to the tightness of everything run the way i have them....

Friday, February 22, 2008 3:57 PM
The part number depends on which terminal ends the connector you have,
Flat Blade (00+)8239
Round Pin (99-)8229

Nice to see it follow through and work for ya, ZtwatyFo. What kinda intake is that, btw? I still got to get a set of cut to fits though. Keep us updated, mine still runs like a champ!!

Friday, February 22, 2008 4:23 PM
2.3l ho intake mani with autozone ghetto-take till i can fab up a new one for the manifold.

Friday, February 22, 2008 4:34 PM
I am going to be going back to stock 2.4 opened up for a 2.3 mani soon. I got my best times with that setup plus no cel. Again nice to see it works, and how do you like it man?

Friday, February 22, 2008 5:04 PM
i really like it. i gotta get up with dnacustoms to get a "control" run to see if there is any difference in performance. he usually stays right with me, or barely pulls. so we will see what happens

Friday, February 22, 2008 5:13 PM
2.4_LS_4Door (Dayton86) wrote:I am going to be going back to stock 2.4 opened up for a 2.3 mani soon. I got my best times with that setup plus no cel. Again nice to see it works, and how do you like it man?

Sorry I meant 2.3 TB not mani, duh. But I wanna hear about it whenever you do.

Saturday, February 23, 2008 11:36 PM
they are still going good, but i have not gotten up with dave to compare before/after pulls.

Friday, February 29, 2008 11:35 AM
well shes still running strong. i have noticed her running less rich, but then again shes always been pig rich, let out of the gas and let her compression brake, and she just farts and pops. after the ignition its more of just a smooth burble...

Friday, February 29, 2008 3:29 PM
ya lost me on that one man.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search