Cartech / B.E.G.I. Rebuild Kit : Who's Done It ? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cartech / B.E.G.I. Rebuild Kit : Who's Done It ?
Friday, February 27, 2009 1:37 PM
I'm rebuilding my Cartech/B.E.G.I. 2025 FMU. I noticed when I took it apart someone had used a clear silicon sealant along with the rubber gaskets. I'm not sure this is necessary. Anyone here know if a rebuild requires sealant in addition to the gaskets?

Also who here knows how the shims work? I'm guessing from the design of the unit that a thicker shim means less fuel pressure.

My logic : As the shim is pressed down from the plunger which is being driven by manifold pressure, it is restricting the flow of fuel through the restricter block. This raises fuel pressure because the restricter is on the return line. (The idle set screw works by pushing down the same plunger, it sets it so it cannot return below a certain point - i.e. min/base/idle fuel pressure)

As a side note, anyone else noticed all the public drama/ bickering going on between Cartech and B.E.G.I. ? They both accuse each other of ripping off each others design. They also both offer to repair their counterparts "inferior" product.

Ill post up some pics later on.

Hahn Stage II - Mitsu TD06-20g |3" Turbo-back Exhaust | 61mm Bored TB |
HP Tuners | Innovate WB02 | Spec Stage 3 | Team Green LSD | TurboTech Upper | Full Addco Sways | Sportlines & Yellows |

Re: Cartech / B.E.G.I. Rebuild Kit : Who's Done It ?
Saturday, February 28, 2009 7:29 AM
I've had mine apart to replace the shim and diaphrams. I must have bottomed out the needle at one time and dimpled the steel shim. I don't know if its a good idea to change the thickness of the shim. I'm sure it will throw off you fuel pressure. Your logic on how it works seems to make some sense to me,

I do know that if you contact Cartec, they will send you a package of shims and diaphrams. I think it was under $15 shipped.

Saturday, February 28, 2009 9:24 PM
Rebuild my Cartech/B.E.G.I. 2025 FMU for maintenance reasons. I purchased the rebuild kit through Hahn Racecraft, but I believe it is the exact same kit available here on Bell's website. I decided to put this tutorial together because I was not able to find information myself anywhere else on the web.

http://www.bellengineering.net/index.php?cPath=7

For those of you who don't know, Cartech and Bell Engineering sell essentially the same product under the same model number. It is a rising rate FMU with adjustable idle/base fuel pressure with a needle valve which controls the onset of fuel pressure gain under boost. Both parties accuse the other of ripping off each others design, and claim the competitors product is inferior. I don't know what the truth is but just be aware there are slight varies between some of these units.

Here is what is included in the kit.

1) One large gasket/diaphram
2) Two lower gaskets
3) One Spring
4) One Needle Valve
5) Several stainless steel shims

Optional
6) My kit also included the washer which seats on top the spring for the top half of the unit. It also included an extra brass barb for the boost reference line.

Stage 1 (Disassemble)

Disassemble the entire until. Make notes of the order in which things come apart if needed.

Four bolts on the bottom of the restrictor block will release the top half of the unit. You can leave your fuel return lines hooked up to the restrictor block to make things easier. Be sure to clean any old sealant off the top of the re stricter block. Once you pull off the top half along with the lower gasket and shims which go under it you should see this.

Now that you have the top half off there are 4 bolts on the top half of the unit which you need to remove with an alan wrench. Once these 4 bolts are out you can split the unit and expose the larger diaphragm/gasket. You will also see that the diaphragm assembly has a bolt with a washer on the top side. (the spring seats on the washer) On the bottom side of the diaphragm you will see a larger washer, the bolt goes through the diaphragm and larger washer and screws into a cylindrical metal plunger. This plunger goes through the bottom half of the upper unit to exert pressure on the lower gasket and shims.

You can now remove the idle/base fuel pressure set screw (be sure not to misplace the sealing washer which goes under the set bolt) You may also need to replace this sealing washer. They are available on Bells website. You can remove the needle valve and boost refrence line barb from the upper billet half with a socket.

Stage 2 (Clean and refinish parts)

Once you have everything apart now is a good time to take the billet pieces and polish them up.
Make sure you also clean off any old sealant around where the gaskets seat.

I noticed that on my plunger there was some scoring. This was preventing the unit from operating smoothly. Be sure to inspect yours. If the scoring is bad enough I suggest ordering a replacement.

Mine was not to bad so I was able to polish it out on a drill press with some emery cloth.

Once you have inspected the plunger make sure it does not bind in the lower half of the top piece of the unit. There was some scoring inside mine so I decide to clean it out a little. Take a piece of emery cloth, roll it up and oil it. Once its inside the cylinder it should expand to where you can spin the whole piece and lightly buff out side of any burrs. Be sure you are using very light emery cloth, you do not want to ream out this hole any more than necessary or you my ruin the whole piece.

*Note I cut the polishing cloth long enough I could hold it in my hand to spin it so it was polished out evenly.

Stage 3 (Re-Assembly)

Once everything is cleaned up now its time to get out the new parts and re-assemble.

Here we have washer prepped with sealant which goes on top of the upper large diaphragm.

Be sure to use a minimal amount of sealant.

I placed some sealant on the bottom head of the bolt to prevent pressure from working its way down through the center shalft and decreasing effectiveness of the diaphragm.

*Note the marks on the top of the washer, you can see where the spring has seated itself in the past.

Next the plunger goes on over the larger washer on the bottom side with a bit of sealant in the threads.

Everything goes back together like so.

Now its time to put sealant on the two pieces where they will mate to the outer portion of the diaphragm/larger seal gasket.

Insert the seat washer into the top billet half, and then grease the spring and insert it into the top half. It helps if you back the base/idle fuel pressure set screw out all the way.

I put a small bit of grease on the plunger to prevent it from binding. You may also use anti-seize as it may hold up better than standard grease.

Hold the top half upside down after inserting the diaphragm assembly into the bottom billet half. Sandwich them back together.

Tighten down all the top screws. Use some thread sealant on them. Remember to slowly tighten them in a clockwise motion.

Now its time to prep the lower restrictor block assembly. Take a shim and neatly cut the corners off to make it easier to seal up on re-assembly.

I used a fuel proof sealant where the lower gasket would be mating.

Place the lower gasket on top of the shims.

Now its time to seat the upper portion of the unit back onto the restrictor block.

Put the screws back in the bottom side and tighten everything down. Re-insert the new needle valve and hose barbs.

I recommend giving it time to allow all the sealant to dry before re-pressurizing the system.

Hope this has helped!

HP Tuners | Innovate WB02 | Spec Stage 3 | Team Green LSD | TurboTech Upper | Full Addco Sways | Sportlines & Yellows |
Thursday, March 19, 2009 7:22 AM
FYI : In effort to try and reduce the ratio the FMU was adding Fuel per Boost, the first time I rebuilt this I used 2 shims rather than one. The idea was that it would be harder for the diaphragm to push the shims down under boost against the restictor block, thus leading to less fuel pressure (less fuel pressure = less restriction through block)

Well this ended up causing a screwy problem with the idle. I could set the idle to whatever, but it would eventually start creeping up to 80 psi!!! I realized it had to be the double shims causing the issue. I had read on a motorcycle forum where guys were using the exact same FMU w/ aftermarket turbos and one had mentioned his came with a double shim.

Once I removed the extra shim the idle psi started behaving normal again.

*Now if you do desire to lower the fuel pressure in boost, what you need to get a a little line restrictor. It is a little tube of plastic with a small hole going through it that plugs into the boost reference signal line. This allows less pressure into the top chamber of the FMU and thus reduces the increase in fuel pressure under boost. I got this part directly from Bell off their website. Hopefully this weekend Ill get a chance to see how it works.

Currently my setup is so (Idle 40psi / Boost @ 10lbs = 85-90psi) I am trying to get that boost pressure down to around 65 where since I am using HPtuners for the rest of my fuel tuning.

Thursday, March 19, 2009 12:46 PM
Very nice right up. I just picked up a used 2025 and this makes it much easier to rebuild to be on the safe side.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search