Looking for the most quiet 3 inch muffler - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Looking for the most quiet 3 inch muffler
Tuesday, May 19, 2009 5:35 PM

OK currently I have a Magnaflow 3 inch muffler, I've always hated Magnaflow and how they sound, im also quite tired of the highway drone, I realize with a 3 inch muffler its never going to be like stock but theres got to be something out there better than this piece of @!#$.

Also I want to retain as much power as possible, I don't want to add restriction or lower exhaust flow.

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Re: Looking for the most quiet 3 inch muffler
Tuesday, May 19, 2009 5:46 PM
do you have any resonators?

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 10:02 AM
Godspeed wrote:do you have any resonators?

Exactly my thoughts! Resonators are your friends.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 10:05 AM
I was running 2.25 exhaust to a Magnaflow High flow Cat to a 18 " resonator then to a Borla Pro XS muffler

Only time it was loud was right at startup or when honking on it

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 10:13 AM
yes he has a resonator...

my megan cf muffler on my old car was pretty quiet but i also had a turbo

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 1:35 PM
yup i sure do have a resonator, its a big one too

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 1:53 PM
Rodimus Prime wrote: its a big one too

thats what she said

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Wednesday, May 20, 2009 4:07 PM
hmm well i know there are Walker Quiet Flow's and a Dynomax might be better. Not sure if either of those will come in the size you require.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 4:19 PM
ive always heard that borla is the way to go. my friend went from a flowmaster to a magnaflow to a borla and the borla sounds best and his car is a N/A. dynomax is cool too i have those and less expensive
Wednesday, May 20, 2009 7:37 PM
Hey Matt, maybe you should consider this Vibrant one. It's actually a resonator not a muffler, but it's oval shaped so it looks just like a muffler. I was going to use this as a muffler on the Sedan because I figured it should be pretty damn quiet being that it's a resonator, but obviously I never got around to that . Just my $.02.

Thursday, May 21, 2009 6:13 AM
Get a dynomax ultraflow. I have a 3" one on my n/a cav and it does well. But i think with any 3" exhaust with no turbo you are going to get the drone. Mine only does it around 70mph.

Thursday, May 21, 2009 8:57 AM
correct me if im wrong, but a 3 in exhaust is about .75in to big and if its to big you lose your lower end torque resulting in slower take offs, just thought you wanted to know =) good luck with what ever you get but if your gonna keep the 3in exhaust get http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1021_1033_1055&products_id=47 on top of your other resonator
Thursday, May 21, 2009 9:09 AM
I'm running an edelbrock sdt muffler and it's rather mellow untill I get on it.

Edelbrock

Thursday, May 21, 2009 2:10 PM
donovan wrote:correct me if im wrong, but a 3 in exhaust is about .75in to big and if its to big you lose your lower end torque resulting in slower take offs, just thought you wanted to know =)

Not on a boosted vehicle, let alone a 300whp lsj.

Im also running 3" piping with a megan muffler. Not too bad, but I threw a dynomax bullet resonator right after my dp.

Thursday, May 21, 2009 5:16 PM
but your boosted =p you can support the exhaust, im talking about mostly stock 2200 engine. then again i may be wrong but thats what i was taught at hot import night at O rally raceway park
Thursday, May 21, 2009 7:42 PM
3 inch is hardly oversized when your running 21psi

I had borla xs before, that was nice but loud, ive had thoughts of running one of those but that wouldnt fix the issue

anyone notice a difference with a resonated exhaust tip? My cav was much quieter with one

Thursday, May 21, 2009 9:14 PM
o ok, i didtn know what you were running underneith your hood, my ignorance is not bliss, my bad man
Friday, May 22, 2009 9:08 AM
If you want to hear your engine's tone and not exhaust noise use this. I'm using this and no regrets.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Friday, May 22, 2009 9:14 AM
Ah yes ^^^ I knew someone would step in with a Walker Quiet Flow. I suggested that earlier. Definitely a way to go if you want to be quieter.

Saturday, May 23, 2009 10:02 AM
donovan wrote:correct me if im wrong, but a 3 in exhaust is about .75in to big and if its to big you lose your lower end torque resulting in slower take offs, just thought you wanted to know =)

Eh yes and no.....its the general concensus on this site for optimal power both high n low N/A is 2.25" for a 2.2ohv and 2.5" for eco and 2.4. However I have 3" on my 2.3/2.4 hybrid and I can say there is no loss of torque on the bottom end...the tires still spin. Also PJ had 3" on the squirrel and that car was the fastest N/A daily driven eco on the site. And 3" is great for boosted apps.

Now back to the origional topic.....I have a warlock muffler. Its like a turbo muffler, its loud when you get on it but not when your just cruising, also it has a cutout so when u want performance theres no restrictive muffler.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 3:12 PM
id say go with a cutout and a dynomax super turbo. quiet until you want performance, then flip a toggle. done.

I'm tired of wasting my time... now I'm breakin' free.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 6:24 PM
am interested to see what you end up doing... i will most likely be running a pacesetter to magnaflow catback setup... now am thinking an 18" resonator is not enough?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search