adjustable cam gears for ld9 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
adjustable cam gears for ld9
Monday, December 15, 2008 5:55 PM
I was looking around for adjustable cam gears and I found these from a saturn 1.9 they have 38 teeth and they look pretty close to ours. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-Racing-Adjustable-Cam-Gear-Saturn-DOHC-91-02-1-9L_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q 7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem150307684733QQitemZ150307684733QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories Does anyone have any access to to junk yard or to a torn down saturn to compare these parts. If so I'd be interested to see the differences if there are any. I might even take a trip to the junkyard and look into it myself. But the workres might not like the idea of rumaging through parts when its -10 degrees...

Re: adjustable cam gears for ld9
Monday, December 15, 2008 7:20 PM
Why don't we just try to get OBX to make some cam gears sets for the LD9? They already make intakes, headers, LSD's ect. It can't be that hard to convince them to do it, they obviously have "some" love for the J. Especially since most of those I listed were brought to market rather recently.

I volunteer a new set of gears for the design if I get a nice prototype discount...LOL

I got the gears ready to send at a moments notice!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edited Monday, December 15, 2008 8:15 PM

<table>hello</table>
Monday, December 15, 2008 7:35 PM
Thats worth trying. We just need to contact them. I guess we have nothing to lose. I'll look into it.
Monday, December 15, 2008 10:30 PM
yeh this would be great cuz a lot of ppl on jbo have found out the hard way how obx products don't fit...
Monday, December 15, 2008 10:55 PM
^LOL....alot of other people on jbo have found a cheaper way to get a quaife LSD too.....your point?

Yeah some of their stuff doesn't fit well....ok.....and other products they sell fit fine. So.....it's still your choice to buy the products they sell, nobody's gonna force you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, December 15, 2008 10:58 PM

<table>hello</table>
Tuesday, December 16, 2008 3:29 AM
There use to be adjustbale cam gears for the LD9. It really is not worth it. Reason I say this is 1. the time to install them. 2. the time to dyno tune them and adjust them.
It simple takes too much time to acess them to adjust them. Now if you made a custom timing chain housing that allowed easy acess might be a different story.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 5:53 AM
John Higgins wrote:Now if you made a custom timing chain housing that allowed easy acess might be a different story.

I don't see why you couldn't even just cut the stock one and weld on some overlap on the bottom lip. Not a big deal or hard to do.

<table>hello</table>
Tuesday, December 16, 2008 8:16 AM
OBX LSD? Got a link to that?.....OBX header does have some fitment issues. As for the adjustable cam gears...first make the LD9 belt driven rather than chain....then go from there.

GMR has got nothing on this
Tuesday, December 16, 2008 8:47 AM
I seem to remember somebody doing that a long time ago, a belt driven quad or something like that, no idea how easy or practical it was, from what I remember it was pretty difficult.

22 miles per gallon and dropping fast...
Tuesday, December 16, 2008 8:53 AM
I know its been done on a Quad LG0....but on a LD9?

GMR has got nothing on this
Tuesday, December 16, 2008 11:08 AM
^Yeah but the only shop who has the parts or EVER done it was Mantapart and they have kits for both the LD9 and LGO. Even if you could get the parts you gotta drop $3k to do it. Blah.....
Search eBay for the OBX diff, boostedtopoint4 is running it and a handful of others and so far they all like it. Its made for the F23 Getrag, and point4 is north of 350whp and the 600+whp civic guys love 'em. So you can't discredit everything OBX makes as garbage, but I'm going to doubt some of their products not being to par....win some, loose some. Doesn't hurt to try ya know.

<table>hello</table>

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 11:37 AM
well i emailed them last night. I havent heard anything yet. But I did offer to send them the timing gear and housing cover so they can hopefully make a access window.

I have seen the belt conversion on manta part but its $900 plus you have to have the block fabed to make it fit. I think it would better performance wise, but what about longevity? I dont think it would be to much work to remove the area covering the gears to gain access. Just so long the people adjusting their timing dont completely remove the adjusting bolts.. Oooops...
Tuesday, December 16, 2008 12:32 PM
not worth it you wont be able to make adjustments quick

my buddies civic has them but he cut a grove in the timing cover to make adjustment when ever side of the road track you name it LD9 you can't do that

JBO since July 30, 2001
Tuesday, December 16, 2008 5:30 PM
DOHC_tuner wrote:OBX LSD? Got a link to that?.....OBX header does have some fitment issues. As for the adjustable cam gears...first make the LD9 belt driven rather than chain....then go from there.

Why belt driving? I would never want that.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 7:40 PM
I think the objective of a belt would be its lighter and more accessible. But the down sides would be more maintenance and less durability. But I don't know that for a fact thats just my opinion.
Tuesday, December 16, 2008 9:25 PM
Yeah, I priced it all out and got the information from what it takes as far as modifications to the block and there's no way out but to spend north of $2.5k all said and done. Gotta cut all the bosses for the oil seals and then drill mounts for the seal caps and yada yada yada....big pain in the ass. Not to mention the chain is honestly more poised for longevity than belt anyway. To me if would follow logic to try to keep the chain. I understand the lack of precision compared to a belt but once adjust-ability is achieved some reduction of the dynamics of the chain can be adjusted out...maybe.

Who in hell would want to adjust timing on the side of the road OR the track? You would have to be smoking crack! Adjust-ability is most important, easy of use isn't as important, "reasonable" side access with 1 day at a dyno and bam, there is no need to change timing like you change your underwear just cause your butt dyno has a hunch......

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, December 16, 2008 9:57 PM

<table>hello</table>
Tuesday, December 16, 2008 10:04 PM
well josh you just helped me prove my point. Given a day to spend at a dyno and the ability to be able to adjust your timing without pulling the entire side of your engine off would be a huge plus. I dont know about your car but if i want to get the timing cover off in mine the motor mount bolts are too low and to confined to fit a wrench ( I have to pull my engine I dont know any other way). it would be so much easier to have a access port or window thats removeable to set the timing rather then the other option.
Wednesday, December 17, 2008 6:17 AM
Hmm...... guess I'm going to grab a OE 1.9 gear and see how doable this is.....

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Wednesday, December 17, 2008 12:34 PM
Taetsch Z-24 wrote:Hmm...... guess I'm going to grab a OE 1.9 gear and see how doable this is.....

Chris

Hey keep us updated on weather or not this works.
Wednesday, December 17, 2008 5:13 PM
We will see.

Every time I share with people, they don't really hear it.

Guess I just don't know WTF i am talking about.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Wednesday, December 17, 2008 6:24 PM
Chris,
There is definetly nothing to lose for comparing and trying. Except for a little time. Or where you being sarcastic about trying this? I guess I didnt see it if you were? I was actually being serious.

Thursday, December 18, 2008 1:04 PM
Hey Chris any idea if the double roller timing set from the HO will fit on the LD9?
Thursday, December 18, 2008 1:21 PM
Taetsch Z-24 wrote:Hmm...... guess I'm going to grab a OE 1.9 gear and see how doable this is.....

Chris

i have one im my basement from my brothers 1.9 if you need measurements and such...
Thursday, December 18, 2008 6:05 PM
Dale Young wrote:Hey Chris any idea if the double roller timing set from the HO will fit on the LD9?

um.. why? the ld9 single chain does just fine, for longevity AND near 500whp conditions. so why add the extra weight to the rotating mass?

Are you scared of the changes coming? The answer is on the inside.
Thursday, December 18, 2008 8:02 PM
The double row timing chain has "rollers" in the Chain, much like the LSX's Chain compared to the older Gen I-III V8's

In theory It has less Parasitic loss.

Theory; being the operating word.

The only way to make a Double Roller Chain work on a LD9 would be to convert every Cog to 91and older 2.3 LD2\LG0 style. To do that, you would need to run the 2.3 timing chain housing.

To do that you would have to use the 2.3 water pump, this in and of itself is not bad, as they can be had for 30 bucks,

There are many strange little things I (and Dougan) believe helped a LO quad 4 of the late 80's (with worse cams,head,crank,intake,tuning,ect.) make 5-7 Hp less then a 92 086 LG0 High Output..... could that be one of them..... I think so.

HOWEVER, Filling the oil pan.........

That would be a issue.

I was not joking about trying this, and if anyone has a OE gear I can have it would be lovely, however, most people never listen to what I say.

That is fact, and I guess I really don't care.
My @!#$ was\is slow anyway.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search