My Engine design, torque monster, all imput welcome - Page 3 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: My Engine design, torque monster, all imput welcome
Saturday, June 11, 2011 8:05 AM
yup, thats why the bills/stans header does so well in my opinion.

a merge collector would be a good investment for torque, mike to my knowledge none of our header options utilize one. if you go with a ron s header yull need to have the merge collector put on after you get it from him. he's cool with just selling the pipes etc up until the collector. thats what i did.

Saturday, June 11, 2011 9:35 PM
Some very cools stuff in this thread, I'm excited to see you're build finished up Mike

And definitely go with the 2.3 oil pump swap. Even if it's just to drop the 20some pound balance shaft assembly. I think I have ~$250 into my swap for parts.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Sunday, June 12, 2011 4:31 AM
I think my parts were less than that. pump was 80 pick up was 30 drive gear was about 40ish. I foundd my pump very discounted.

Sunday, June 12, 2011 6:08 PM
Yeah I paid about $140 for the pump, $60 for the gear and $20 for a junkyard pump, pickup tube and mount. I've still gotta go back for the windage tray, since they were closing.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Sunday, June 12, 2011 7:59 PM
Leafy wrote:That manifold design on the last pages is pretty meh. You'd be better with an equal length manifold than that log style, even if it is a reducing log style.

And so the DC header for the LD9 is actually set up correctly for the firing order of the eco, interesting. Did anyone ever check how close eco and ld9 exhaust flanges were (ie would one be able to cut the ld9 flange off and with little effort bend the tops of the primaries to fit an eco flange)?

It is equal length. That's an intake manifold, not exhaust. We have already seen what a piece of @!#$ a header style intake with no plenum is on the quad4 at any RPM. However, a log manifold probably isn't the greatest for low-end torque either, since you can't take advantage of stronger harmonics from resonance pulses at lower RPMs with short runners.

Lars wrote:yes jason mcelvy did... not even close. the LD9 is spread further out iirc....

and the firing order of the eco? i guess i aint seen a 4 banger yet that wasnt 1-4 2-3.

Either you mistyped that, or I would argue that you have never seen a single 4 cylinder in your life. LD9 and ECOTEC both have a 1-3-4-2 firing order, which is the most popular I4 firing order. In a proper 4-2 designed header/manifold, outer and inner cylinders are paired together because they are 180deg out of phase from one another in the otto cycle, resulting in even exhaust pulses. If they aren't paired together, then no they aren't paired correctly.

I have no signiture
Monday, June 13, 2011 3:45 AM
Whalesac wrote:
Lars wrote:yes jason mcelvy did... not even close. the LD9 is spread further out iirc....

and the firing order of the eco? i guess i aint seen a 4 banger yet that wasnt 1-4 2-3.

Either you mistyped that, or I would argue that you have never seen a single 4 cylinder in your life. LD9 and ECOTEC both have a 1-3-4-2 firing order, which is the most popular I4 firing order. In a proper 4-2 designed header/manifold, outer and inner cylinders are paired together because they are 180deg out of phase from one another in the otto cycle, resulting in even exhaust pulses. If they aren't paired together, then no they aren't paired correctly.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Hope to have some update pics soon.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, June 13, 2011 7:40 AM
Whalesac wrote: we have already seen what a piece of @!#$ a header style intake with no plenum is on the quad4 at any RPM. However, a log manifold probably isn't the greatest for low-end torque either, since you can't take advantage of stronger harmonics from resonance pulses at lower RPMs with short runners

This is true, I ran that manifold hoping to have a strong low end and a good midrange. It spins the tires and takes off hard as idk what, but it raised my 1/4 times to mid 16s.

Monday, June 13, 2011 6:03 PM
i called si valves today and they can do bigger than +1mm exhaust valves. he said the easiest cheapest route would be if the intakes valves are the same length as the exhaust they would just cut them down to the desired size . so does anyone know if the 2.4 intake and exhaust valves are the same length?

Buy my stuff!!! CLICK

R.I.P. Brian Klocke, you will never be forgotten
Monday, June 13, 2011 7:04 PM
I literally just walked in from disassembling my head and went, Hey! I could go measure those! haha

Looks like the overall length of a stock sized stainless intake valve is 4.228", and a stock size stainless exhaust valve is 4.260".

I can probably pull a couple non-stainless stock valves tomorrow if needed.

Monday, June 13, 2011 7:37 PM
Whalesac wrote: is on the quad4 at any RPM. However, a log manifold probably isn't the greatest for low-end torque either, since you can't take advantage of stronger harmonics from resonance pulses at lower RPMs with short runners.

no i meant they are paired together, not the firing order LOL
Monday, June 13, 2011 7:58 PM
Lars wrote:
Whalesac wrote: is on the quad4 at any RPM. However, a log manifold probably isn't the greatest for low-end torque either, since you can't take advantage of stronger harmonics from resonance pulses at lower RPMs with short runners.

Alright, then. That makes more sense.

I have no signiture

Monday, June 13, 2011 8:33 PM
Whalesac wrote:
Lars wrote:

Alright, then. That makes more sense.

Yeah, look at the ecotec tsudo header, that one and a lot others would be great drivers side or passenger side chevy v8 headers. it seems that for some reason that 4 banger header designers get kind of lazy some times and dont actually look up the firing order and just assume that its one of the banks of that brands v8.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search