3800 swap Questions for Lenko, Raven and Nota24 - Page 2 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 3800 swap Questions for Lenko, Raven and Nota24
Monday, September 28, 2009 9:24 AM
Hey guys . . . I have been pretty busy lately so I haven't had a lot of time to work on the cav. I am shooting to have engine mounted by the time the snow flies.

I do have a new question for you guys. Is there any mounting differences between the 4T65E and the 4T65E HD?

Monday, September 28, 2009 10:05 AM
Dunno, I've never looked at the mounting for the 4T65E to compare it to mine. Though I suspect my mounts (from a Park Ave) are different than the rest... they're unlike the GTP's.

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 3:28 AM
javis hildebrand wrote:Hey guys . . . I have been pretty busy lately so I haven't had a lot of time to work on the cav. I am shooting to have engine mounted by the time the snow flies.

I do have a new question for you guys. Is there any mounting differences between the 4T65E and the 4T65E HD?

Probably not. I think the HD version only has the heavy duty diff in it. Considering both transmissions getting pulled from say, a Grand Prix. I'd almost bet the mounts are the same, it just makes sense for manufacturing purposes.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Wednesday, September 30, 2009 5:38 AM
SHOoff wrote:...it just makes sense for manufacturing purposes.
LOL. This is GM we're talking about though. They don't always do things that make sense like this.

Thursday, October 01, 2009 9:00 AM
Quiklilcav wrote:
LOL. This is GM we're talking about though. They don't always do things that make sense like this.

You said it!

In any case the guy that's giving me the car has an 03 GTP with a HD tranny in it so I will check his over and see if they match up.

Whats up people?
Thursday, October 01, 2009 4:03 PM
65E and 65HD mount the same way the grandprix guys do a direct swap in there cars without messing with mounts so the same bolt locations but i doubt the 65 uses the same mounting as the 45 i don't know for sure as i have never owned and auto j body

JBO since July 30, 2001
Thursday, October 01, 2009 7:25 PM
Quiklilcav wrote:

Yeah, I thought the same thing shortly after clicking the "post" button.

Figured I'd get called on it.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Sunday, October 04, 2009 2:06 PM
hey guys,

right now i am just looking for the harness for the 2004 impala. i found 1 on ebay but they want $345 for the harness and the pcm and the icm. I am guessing the icm is the interior control which i dont need because I plug the cavi ICM into it? correct? just a little pin rewiring to make them match up. does anyone else know where i can find the harness and pcm i need for a better price. the biggest problem around here is the way our insurance works we dont get to see cars newer than 10 years in pick aparts.

Whats up people?
Sunday, October 04, 2009 6:01 PM
make sure its an impala SS if your doin a 3.8 super, if its not the injector plugs, map plug, needs to be changed, the boost control has to be added and the evpa has to be moved from the front of the motor to the rear

as for the ICM you need that its the pig tail that has your crank and cam sensore wiring. ICM is IGNITION CONTROL MODUAL, this is the part the coils bolt too.

if your doin a 3.4 then get an impala 3.4 harness and so on. i did a harness for a guy on here and it was an NA harness and lucky his motor came with the part of the harness that i could redo the plugs . its alot more work if it were anyone else it would have cost him more but since he brought me the harness (supplied the plugs) i just swapped them for free still probably an hours work to move this its best to locate the right harness to begin with. Monte Carlo harness should be the same as the MONTE was just a 2dr impala, more Montes came SC then the impalas

JBO since July 30, 2001
Monday, October 05, 2009 8:50 PM
I have a 89 buick LeSabre siting around that doesn't run and Thinking (just thinking) about swapping in the 3.8 when my engine goes, (2.2 ohv), I wasn't sure if the Quad-4 would be better. Since it is a options I thought maybe one of you would know someone who has done a swap with a similar year, everything is Fuel injected and both Autos. Also has anyone had issue with trans. fitment?

http//www.umods.org/drift.html
umods@live.com/ddiaz@umods.org

Tuesday, October 06, 2009 6:44 AM
waste of time

Tuesday, October 06, 2009 8:31 AM
I would appreciate if people kept my thread on topic. David please go ask questions in your own thread! I made this thread for my questions. If you have a question about what and how I am doing something please ask but please keep your thinking about swapping this engine in out of xxxxx car out of my thread.

Thanks!

Now for my question, Not a 2 4 how did you mount your engine? I am thinking (since i have the top mounts on the gtp) of something like this and then having a 3 inch bar running across the back end for the rear/lower mount point. Is there anything else to take into consideration?

Whats up people?
Thursday, October 08, 2009 12:28 PM
Not a 24 do you have any more pics of your mounting points? The LD9 is coming out this weekend so I will have a fairly good idea of where I want to put everything. I will finally have some pics to show you guys as well. Anyway Cheers till the weekend!

Whats up people?
Friday, October 09, 2009 8:30 PM
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=30&i=45921&t=45918#45921

you can try an dmake the GP mounts work but its faster to make your own plus you can get poly bushings

PS you don't have to triangulate the bacing that far . car it to the factory fram erail thats plenty strong enough

JBO since July 30, 2001
Sunday, October 11, 2009 8:22 PM
Carry it to the frame rail about 7-8 inches in, that is plenty... no need to go overkill on that, strength will be there.

Monday, October 19, 2009 1:18 PM
So the L67 is out . . . Had a couple of issues getting the drive train out but nothing that couldn't be fixed.

Does anyone out there have a 2004 Impala SS harness or know where I can find one. Nobody around here has one and I would really appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Jay

Whats up people?
Saturday, May 01, 2010 1:26 PM
Hey guys can you send me some pics of the firewall and how close the engine/trans is?

I am currently mocking up the mounting and would like some references so i dont get the engine to far forward or backwards

Also any suggestions on how you would improve your setup would be great too.

Thanks again!

Jay

Whats up people?
Sunday, May 02, 2010 7:43 PM
What kind of headers are you guys using?

Whats up people?
Monday, May 03, 2010 4:35 AM
i think every one uses stock so far except raven i just made a front header and ported the back and as far as engine position i have mine move forward a bit to clear the exhaust from the firewall

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 5:13 PM
you shouldn't at this point be even thinking about headers if you engine isn't en and leveled and proper shaft length then headers mean dick sorry for sounding like an a$$ but i have had a few PM lately or questions that people are asking before then enven have a sub frame or an idea of what is goin on

theres a tread on this and this is for anyone reseaching SEARCH and read it if your engine is in properly you should be able to run any header designed for a W body but this depends on how well your fabing is done

JBO since July 30, 2001
Tuesday, May 04, 2010 8:25 PM
well the W body headers are really long i was thinking about that and i had a buddy with a set so i grabbed it and it could be done but i just couldnt see taking a 500 dollar set of headers and cutting them up so i just used what i have to work with

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 8:39 PM
Nota24: I am building the frame right now. I just dont want to sink $500 into a set of headers when I dont know if i will be able to run them. so instead of finishing everything and then finding out i need to cut out the firewall or hack up my brand new headers i would rather do that now and possibly make it fit now instead of redesigning everything later

I am probably just gonna say screw it and order the SSAutoChrome ones and deal with them when they get here

Mikie any pics along the backside of the firewall?

Whats up people?
Wednesday, May 05, 2010 7:23 AM
ill see if i can get some ive got my car in the air now putting a bigger fuel pump in with the nitrous the 2.4 pump doesnt keep up

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 6:29 PM
this is why you need to be paying attention to other things i have the stock rear monifold and down pipe on my car so with the engine in its proper place headers should fit but you are working backwards. if the headers don't work you buy the ZZP ported manifolds and make a custom down pipe on my car headers should fit as my exhaust is W body from the engine to the cat

JBO since July 30, 2001
Wednesday, May 05, 2010 7:55 PM
hehe hence my asking for pics of the firewall. since my car isnt at my house its a little more difficult to measure up sometimes. however in the next couple weeks i should have the subframe finished and the engine mounted and i know pics have been lacking of late but i PROMISE we will take some pics of the engine in the bay! with it mounted!

Whats up people?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search