3800 swap Questions for Lenko, Raven and Nota24 - Page 5 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 3800 swap Questions for Lenko, Raven and Nota24
Monday, May 07, 2012 3:32 PM
J bodys had a 4T40E
N Bodys had a 4T45E
W bodys had a 4T65E or HD
C bodys had a 4T65HD

and they arn't interchangeable either a 4T40E wont run right on a PCM that uses a 65E and the 2.3/2.4/Ecotecs all have different bellhousings before you post in an informative post know your facts anyone else researching ignore this douche bags post as it is wrong and will set you back

JBO since July 30, 2001

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 8:20 PM
This thread has nothing to do with ecotecs 4T40E's nor 4T45E's, maybe the 3T40 sinced you mentioned the Quad 4, but still. The 4T60E was put in N bodies with the Twincam throughout 96-98 only and you want the chain and sprocket gears because its 37/33 and gives you better acceleration plus this has the highest stall torque converter yet is a 245mm and watch out some are 258mm just make sure what you have. The differential assembly you want is the 3.29 diff... the 3.8 N/A has a different differential to help its acceleration as the supercharged is lower, just simply how a Ecotec has a better diff than the Twicam which evens them out in the emission based bullcrap. Thats about it for the 4T60E and 4T65E they had alot of valve body problems which there are many kits and performane parts avaible especially for the 65s. The trannys you want are all 97 and up because the sun gear in the differential assemblies have different pitches than the earlier 90s or later.
Wednesday, May 09, 2012 11:55 PM
Show proof of said Engine/Trans combo....

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Thursday, May 10, 2012 12:19 AM
According to autozone.com (<- lol), the 1996 2.4 grandam did in fact come with a 4t60e.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Thursday, May 10, 2012 12:20 AM
Saturday, May 12, 2012 5:32 AM
apparently the 60E was available for that year of grand am but was replaced for the 65e the 65e was't availble on n bodies. the 2.4 trans is NOT interchangeable with this swap unless there are belhousing changes and just cause somethings similar doesn't mean its interchangable

JBO since July 30, 2001
Saturday, May 12, 2012 6:44 AM
Im trying to say you want the chain and sprocket gears off my 60E and YES they are interchangable whereas I can take a 65E diff and and swap it or even a HD diff but Ill have to use the HD cover and a smaller cv shaft. All the guts ARE interchangable and shooting for a higher FDR is the point here. Yes you cant actually just swap a 60 to a 65 because of the bellhousings and diff converters. I wouldnt want to anyways because you still be looking for the other transmissions parts to better your drive ratio or for thar higher stall converter.
Monday, March 18, 2013 10:02 PM
Hey guys I've been looking into this swap but i can only get my hands on a N/A 3800 at the time. Will this all still work with a N/A engine?
Tuesday, March 19, 2013 8:10 PM
Yes you can. I believe ZZP has a kit so that you can put the blower on the N/A engine.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Tuesday, March 19, 2013 8:11 PM
SHOoff wrote:Yes you can. I believe ZZP has a kit so that you can put the blower on the N/A engine.

Ive got a kit for you. Its called the top end off an L67. ZZP is stupid as hell sometimes.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 8:23 PM
Main parts you will require are the heads, intake and ofcourse blower... smaller things such as the injectors and some wiring changes are also necessary. Also keep in mind you have 2 options with the balancer, you can swap it our for a L67 unit that will also require you to purchase tensioners... or ZZP sells a N/A version pulley kit to allow you to utilize the N/A balancer, but use a longer belt.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 8:56 PM
I'm not asking about converting a N/A to a SC i can do that later. I would just like to know if the same wiring setup would work for the N/A engine or if I'd have to find a whole new way do it
Sunday, March 24, 2013 1:21 PM
don't waste your time then

put in an ecotec half the money then you can put a turbo on right away and be just as fast

JBO since July 30, 2001
Monday, March 25, 2013 12:05 AM
look guys i have the engine it doesn't cost me any thing to get it so i don't want to spend money to get a new engine. I just want to know if i can use this wiring solution to keep my idiot lights that i need to pass inspection. if i can just get an answer cool if not them I'm just gonna have to try myself.
Friday, March 29, 2013 5:43 PM
wiring wise they will run the only difference is the SC has a boost solenoid and some cars (regal) have a fuel pump speed control but speed control is nothing no one wires it in the just wire full speed pump and boost solenoid is easy to add

the other thins is the MAP plug is different and in a differnet location and is the Evap lacation so will the car run YES will you have more work yes
is it impossible no my harness was an NA harness made into an SC harness

JBO since July 30, 2001
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search