LD9 Cranks: Knife Edging and Weight Reduction! - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
LD9 Cranks: Knife Edging and Weight Reduction!
Wednesday, September 30, 2009 1:21 PM
starting this thread in hopes of finding a definite way to lighten up an LD9 crank. i just brought one of my junk ones to a local machine shop willing to try and gut the piss out of it. i told em go for broke... much like the picture below. since it's junk it wont matter if it cannot be balanced or not.

im interested in what's been done. so lets hear about what you have done to you're cranks. knife edging? talk about it. weight reduction? talk about it. (todd miller please come on down!)

over the years ive gathered many, many pics. i got this one from a stock car guy in iowa like 4 years ago. ive since lost emails and contact info so finding any more info out about this one is probably not going to happen. he said it ran like a raped ape til she blew. but jesus... just look how much was removed!!!!

Familiar Taste of Poison.

Re: LD9 Cranks: Knife Edging and Weight Reduction!
Wednesday, September 30, 2009 5:40 PM
the only thing i can see really with that is the amount of meat that was removed, yes it will weigh less but its strength may not be as good as it was and aren't the "weights" at the oppisite end of the rods to help with momentum to keep it rotating. i would say knife edging would be good but not that far

i am looking at doin it to my motor when it comes time for its overhaul

JBO since July 30, 2001
Friday, October 02, 2009 10:20 AM
I dont think anyone else here really knows that much about knife edging..or the benefits lol but like i told you before, if i can get it done cheaper than was quoted me im all for it !!

Friday, October 02, 2009 10:50 AM
i got a lead on the place that did the above crank....

and yea... scott. it can be spendy.

Friday, October 02, 2009 11:48 AM
The engine I bought in the classifieds has a knife edged lightened crank. Not nearly as much as the one pictured but im sure it will make quite a bit of difference compaired to clunky stock form.

Friday, October 02, 2009 1:22 PM
post some pics cory

GMR has got nothing on this
Friday, October 02, 2009 1:47 PM
The Reaper supposely has a Knife edged crank done buy Rousch racing. Never had ti out to see if it is.

FU Tuning

Friday, October 02, 2009 2:09 PM
He He He He

anyone interested in what i did ? while i sit thinkin about my 2.5 build, a new 2.4 eco crank that will go into the "monster" for 2010, was lightened ballanced and heat treated. im guessing on the amounts but i be close

$300 GMPP 2.4 ecotec crank
$690 machine work
$120 ballancing
$125 heat treatment

$1235 TOTAL

i have pics on my camera phone, guy lost my box so i dont know what factory weight is for a 2.4 eco crank, now it weighs 32.75 lbs. I can txt you a pic, just hit me up, a few of you allready seen it, but for others good sneek peak of my winter build

see ya 2010
-Ben
Friday, October 02, 2009 2:20 PM
DOHC_tuner wrote:post some pics cory

Ill have to do that...maybe tomorrow

Friday, October 02, 2009 5:30 PM
$690 machine work
$120 ballancing
$125 heat treatment

---------------------------------

4 to 6 HP Gain ! PRICELESS.

Sorry I had to.

11.92 @ 122.69 MPH Rotrex Blower / Intercooled / Water-Meth / 100% Daily Driver / 381 WHP

Friday, October 02, 2009 8:03 PM
4-6 horse for a stroker and lightened crank?

wow i think you may be off a scotch.

Friday, October 02, 2009 8:14 PM
building a stroker.........priceless
fixed

Friday, October 02, 2009 8:28 PM
stroker or broker!

Friday, October 02, 2009 9:05 PM
one thing i wish i woulda did for my motor.

cant wait to see what they come up with brad.

Saturday, October 03, 2009 6:59 AM
Well maybe i shall add that im upping my compression also, from 12.1 to 1 to about 13 to 1, and with at least a 89mm bore, we should be in good shape

oh and i forgot my number 989-798-0518
-Ben
Saturday, October 03, 2009 10:37 AM
maybe i missed it what is stock weight of 2.4 crank and whats the weight of the knifed one?

8 psi with m62 and IAT under 100
Saturday, October 03, 2009 5:46 PM
knifed on depends on what you do to it, some shops go full bore, some will not, so to say full weight.......noone can do seeing as how every one will weigh in differently, stock crank cant remember the weight

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen
Sunday, October 04, 2009 12:43 PM
Ben Wenzel Jr wrote:He He He He

anyone interested in what i did ? while i sit thinkin about my 2.5 build, a new 2.4 eco crank that will go into the "monster" for 2010, was lightened ballanced and heat treated. im guessing on the amounts but i be close

$690 machine work
$120 ballancing
$125 heat treatment

$1235 TOTAL

i have pics on my camera phone, guy lost my box so i dont know what factory weight is for a 2.4 eco crank, now it weighs 32.75 lbs. I can txt you a pic, just hit me up, a few of you allready seen it, but for others good sneek peak of my winter build

see ya 2010
-Ben

W00T i saw pics at the bash, very sexy

Sunday, October 04, 2009 5:22 PM
Listening.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Tuesday, October 06, 2009 1:28 PM
hehe.
hi

Tuesday, October 06, 2009 1:56 PM
he has a secret and i know it

8 psi with m62 and IAT under 100

Friday, October 09, 2009 9:16 AM
ok guys well thanks to an un named member i did indeed find the guy who cut the above crank. amazingly he lives a mere 4 hours from me. i couldn't believe it. to find a guy that lives here in iowa that can do this kind of thing for me is just awesome in my book.

anyways... he usually does that work for stock cars that race on dirt. told me they take a ton of abuse and rev to 7000-7500 all night long and are just fine with these gutted cranks. also said it balances out just fine as long as you know what you are doing. he does it all on a hand laythe which to me just boggles the mind. i could never have that kind of pateience LOL

i truly feel with as much material our cranks have stock, removing that much material really is not going to effect its strength. if you compare our cranks to say that of a mitsu or honda motor they are dwarfs compared to ours.

i saw an srt-4 crank at the machine shop when i dropped my first crank off to be tested, it was a good 20lbs lighter and looked nothing like ours. those engines are turboed making 230 horsepower with the same displacement. now i realize its a completely different engine but its my thought that if they dont need that much beef why the f do we?

i am bringing a good standard crank to him in a couple of weeks to get started on this project. i will keep this thread updated with pics etc. i am also going to have it knife edged as well as get a 2.3 oil pump drive gear pressed on.

stock weight i was told is 48 and when he is done with it i believe he told it weighs 34-36 lbs.

I must confess... I feel like a monster!
Friday, October 09, 2009 10:38 AM
Wow, that's awesome...keep us updated and post up pics

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Friday, October 09, 2009 10:50 AM

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Friday, October 09, 2009 10:41 AM
yup. i most definitely will.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Friday, October 09, 2009 11:10 AM

I must confess... I feel like a monster!
Friday, October 09, 2009 11:46 AM
i would like to know how strong the crank is tho.... what is the weak link in the 2.4???? thats what i really want to know....

R.I.P. Brian Klocke, you will never be forgotten
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search