LD9 Cranks: Knife Edging and Weight Reduction! - Page 4 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: LD9 Cranks: Knife Edging and Weight Reduction!
Wednesday, November 04, 2009 8:01 AM
It worked for Karo, and after all, his engine had the most HP for a 2.4....

SBC guys do it...

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Wednesday, November 04, 2009 10:20 AM
EXACTLY.

ding ding ding ding. we have a winner!

I must confess... I feel like a monster!
Wednesday, November 04, 2009 11:19 AM
Anyways, you got pics of this thing yet? What did it cost ya ?

11.92 @ 122.69 MPH Rotrex Blower / Intercooled / Water-Meth / 100% Daily Driver / 381 WHP

Wednesday, November 04, 2009 1:50 PM
unfortunately not, it is going to be awhile til i it all works itself out.

you have a pm.

Thursday, November 19, 2009 10:49 AM
ok, told him to get started on the crank.

said it'd be done in two weeks. when i bring him my block to do the 2.3 oil pump swap to i will take pictures. he needs the crank to do the oil pump swap though so it will not be in my possession for a little while.

he is also going to knife edge it, which drove the price up quite a bit but oh well. i wanted it to be the best!

Thursday, November 19, 2009 11:22 AM
^Yup, knife-edging is nice but beats the holy hell out of tooling and equipment which is what drives the price up.

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Thursday, November 19, 2009 11:30 AM
z yaaaa wrote:ok, told him to get started on the crank.

said it'd be done in two weeks. when i bring him my block to do the 2.3 oil pump swap to i will take pictures. he needs the crank to do the oil pump swap though so it will not be in my possession for a little while.

he is also going to knife edge it, which drove the price up quite a bit but oh well. i wanted it to be the best!

Awesome man! I can't wait to see the results from this build.

Thursday, November 19, 2009 11:37 AM
You should see some goooooood gains with that lightweight crank....DAM your lucky brad.

GMR has got nothing on this
Thursday, November 19, 2009 12:02 PM
LOL im not lucky persay...

any one of us could be 'lucky'. just gotta be willing to throw down.

Thursday, November 19, 2009 12:21 PM
brad I guess I need to start building.....

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, November 19, 2009 2:29 PM
I have a good feeling about this. Coming from racing quads (4wheelers) we took weight off our crank and it made a nice difference. And granted that was with a crank that weighs a fraction of an automobile crank.

Thursday, November 19, 2009 6:03 PM
Brad, what kind of cost are you coming into?
I know that you know the guy doing the work so I'm sure that the work is going to be cheaper than most of us would pay for the same work done.
So spill the beans about some of the cost or get some prices from the guy for the average Joe on what you're getting done to your ride.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Friday, November 27, 2009 9:12 AM
Personally racing with these guys that Zyaaaa's talking about this car idled real ruff....at 2-3 grand it came out of it. I personally dont think it made there car/cars that much faster than the rest....I wouldnt do this too a street car if I did it would only be at most about 5 lbs....jmo

fast cavy
Friday, November 27, 2009 10:12 AM
yeah ray told me that it'd be a rough idle. which doesnt bother me, i have hp tuners so if i need to i can raise the idle up some.

this is my experimental engine, if it helps great, if not well then i found a way no-body to not do it. and in a dieing community such as ours finding a wrong way can be just as beneficial as finding the right way. either way i can come back with my experiences on it and tell people if it did or did not help.

me personally? i think its going to run like a raped ape in my automatic with the lighter weight. my automatic is such a TURD off the line. it takes forever to rev up. i think this is going to be a godsend for it.

Stand in the corner and SCREAM with me!!!!
Friday, November 27, 2009 3:57 PM
z yaaaa wrote:yeah ray told me that it'd be a rough idle. which doesnt bother me, i have hp tuners so if i need to i can raise the idle up some.

this is my experimental engine, if it helps great, if not well then i found a way no-body to not do it. and in a dieing community such as ours finding a wrong way can be just as beneficial as finding the right way. either way i can come back with my experiences on it and tell people if it did or did not help.

me personally? i think its going to run like a raped ape in my automatic with the lighter weight. my automatic is such a TURD off the line. it takes forever to rev up. i think this is going to be a godsend for it.

i say you just send it my way so that NVG im running can turn down the track a lil quicker

eh eh

Friday, November 27, 2009 5:04 PM
hey i tried convincing paul to do it but he says the new motor actually stays together so why tear it down this year? LOL he does argue a good point

thats ok gary, you can come drive my car and let everybody know if gutting the crank is worth it or not.

Friday, November 27, 2009 5:12 PM
z yaaaa wrote:hey i tried convincing paul to do it but he says the new motor actually stays together so why tear it down this year? LOL he does argue a good point

thats ok gary, you can come drive my car and let everybody know if gutting the crank is worth it or not.

^ everyone take note of that statement, gary gets one free pass to drive brad's car. maybe you can convince me to keep that ld9... i need mine to go faster otherwise im dumping it.

Friday, November 27, 2009 5:15 PM
son... you wanna drive it all you gotta do is come do it.

drive pauls car... any doubt about the ld9 you may have will be thrown out the window in 13 seconds or less. its quite literally an eye opener to just how much potential this engine really does have.

Monday, January 04, 2010 9:16 PM
I HIGHLY DOUBT 20lbs was removed from my crank, but i'll double check and post when I get some free time.... 1-3lbs sounds more like something that can happen but 20lbs will NEVER be the case.

I could be wrong but I dont think I am on this one

-Karo

Tuesday, January 05, 2010 5:31 AM

Trailer Queen corvette wanna-be with 40 coats of wax and powdercoating that soaks in.
Saturday, January 09, 2010 11:42 AM
Brad you will be fine with that crank, if my old 3400 could handle with a turbo then the LD9 should the LD9 has a stronger crank the 3400, I only did it cause was bored, and then sent to a shop to be balanced. Don't worry I plan to lighten mine a bit more

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen

Saturday, January 09, 2010 1:39 PM
imma stick to 1 - 3 lbs off... i want longevity as much as i want power

Saturday, January 09, 2010 1:52 PM
LOL nobody has proven gutting an LD9 crank sacrifices longevity or not.

Trailer Queen corvette wanna-be with 40 coats of wax and powdercoating that soaks in.
Saturday, January 09, 2010 2:09 PM
true... but the first pic you posted showed one shot, why did it malfunction early?

and do you really think you can get 200,000 miles out of a gutted crank without twisting it in half?

Saturday, January 09, 2010 2:42 PM
honestly, what i think is irrelevant because hard facts are the only that thing are the stuff to believe when building an engine.

it malfunctioned early due to a failed bearing caused by something like 14:1 compression. (so the builder says)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search