LE5 Intake Mani gains? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
LE5 Intake Mani gains?
Friday, October 30, 2009 8:39 AM
Im considering using the LE5 intake manifold with a 62mm throttle body, bigger injectors, and a bigger fuel rail. What type of gains can I see with that?

Re: LE5 Intake Mani gains?
Friday, October 30, 2009 9:12 AM
A really crappy running car (if it'll run at all) without a tune to compliment. I did the LE5 intake mani with LSJ injectors and a tune, and my low end stayed the same, but after about 3500-4000 there's a marked difference in pull. I have yet to track or dyno it yet though (track is next friday, dyno is whenever I can come up with $50). I have yet to get my 63mm throttle body on, but that'll also help out throughout the rpm range. One quick note: the CrateEngineDepot adapter plate for the TB will need to be bored out to accept the larger TB and you'll need to drill the hole for the IAC valve pass-through into the mani.

Btw, you don't need a bigger fuel rail at all, your stocker is more than adequate until you start pushing a TON more power, or alcohol lol.
Friday, October 30, 2009 9:21 AM
I know there was a gain of close to 12whp on adding it to a 2.2 cobalt, there was a dyno run showing it on crate engine depots website.

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Friday, October 30, 2009 10:07 AM
just the fuel rail gives ya 20whp

Friday, October 30, 2009 11:29 AM
I know the gains on the Cobalt were impressive, WITHOUT a tune.

I gotta get mine and set my wideband up. I'll get proof if it leans out unsafely.
Friday, October 30, 2009 11:36 AM
im installing mine right now and i also have a wideband so once i get it on later ill tell you if it leans you out or not

Friday, October 30, 2009 11:40 AM
Zach Reliford wrote:I know the gains on the Cobalt were impressive, WITHOUT a tune.

I gotta get mine and set my wideband up. I'll get proof if it leans out unsafely.

the cobalt is also able to adapt better having a mass air flow sensor as well, the J's ecu cannot change the variable on a stock tune and even with injectors will run lean.

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Friday, October 30, 2009 1:36 PM
You'll need a tune. The fuel rail is wasted money IMO. There are decent gains to be had especially after the normal peak of 5500rpm.

Friday, October 30, 2009 1:59 PM
my car leaned out after 4500 rpms over 1.0 afr

so it def. flows A LOT more air. my problem is I need bigger injectors...

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Friday, October 30, 2009 4:04 PM
yea i was at 90% idc before tuning with the mani installed...

Friday, October 30, 2009 5:17 PM
i forget to say i will be getting a tune as well. that goes without saying. so no need for bigger injectors or a bigger fuel rail?

Friday, October 30, 2009 5:20 PM
The fuel rail is completely unneeded, but the injectors would be a good idea. Get a set of LSJ injectors off of Cobaltss.net...they're usually around $50 sometimes less for all four.
Friday, October 30, 2009 5:29 PM
well the fuel rail i already have is from an 02 Ecotec which i was told is better? and it cost next to nothing. but i had planned on the LSJ injectors. im thinking this could be a good idea

Friday, October 30, 2009 7:46 PM
Qwibby {T3H Old QBE} wrote:my car leaned out after 4500 rpms over 1.0 afr

How is it up to 4500 rpm? Does it feel any better, run any better, or worse without a tune? Reason i ask is after i install mine it could be a week or so until i get a tune so i'm just curious. Thanks

Friday, October 30, 2009 9:17 PM
SO...how bout the LE5 vs a ported stock manifold?

Join verbalwarfare.com

http://www.verbalwarfare.com/forum.php?referrerid=86

Friday, October 30, 2009 9:28 PM
No, the LE5 manifold is alot higher flow, porting a stock 2.2 manifold will not have the same effect

15.0 @ 90mph with only a intake and exhaust.
Saturday, October 31, 2009 5:25 AM
Matt Burgess wrote:
Qwibby {T3H Old QBE} wrote:my car leaned out after 4500 rpms over 1.0 afr

How is it up to 4500 rpm? Does it feel any better, run any better, or worse without a tune? Reason i ask is after i install mine it could be a week or so until i get a tune so i'm just curious. Thanks

it actually runs richer because I'm not moving enough air. we had it before that at wot it was 12.5 across the board. Now its like 11.3 @ 2k-4K and then goes way lean by 7k. at 7k Im over 13

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Saturday, October 31, 2009 12:39 PM
So in order to use this manifold you need larger injectors and a ECU retune?

Join verbalwarfare.com

Saturday, October 31, 2009 3:59 PM
Pretty much that's what it amounts to, Ronin.
Saturday, October 31, 2009 8:47 PM
Bummer...seemed like it might be a cool afternoon project, but thats more than I need to get into.

Join verbalwarfare.com

Saturday, October 31, 2009 9:07 PM
HardcoreXCavalier wrote:well the fuel rail i already have is from an 02 Ecotec which i was told is better? and it cost next to nothing. but i had planned on the LSJ injectors. im thinking this could be a good idea

if ya want shoot me an email roy_boy80@yahoo.com i got a set of of the LSJ injectors, fuel rail and the lines. just laying around no need for them anymore shoot me an offer shipped for what you want

sunfire gone she will be missed very much

Thursday, April 22, 2010 4:14 PM
Okay, its offical. I am gettin tuned for my LE5 mani with 360 cc injectors May 1st. With my current set up (see profile) of 155 WHP, I plan or hope to see 175 WHP. What do you J-body "Gods" think?? As soon I get my DYNO results I'll post em up. I can't wait for this mod, the car is going to be totally different.

So anyone out there, throw out some numbers please. Get me more excited or depressed, either way I wanna see who is accurate for fun. Again, I last got tuned for 155 whp (currently).

Thanks!

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"

Friday, April 23, 2010 3:30 AM
Well, i'm not a J-body god lol, but as for your gains - an additinoal 20whp peak is very very optimistic. I'd say +10. Remember what the LE5 mani did in the cobalt L61 dyno? They gained a LOT of area under the curve in the very high rpm, but only gained something like 13whp PEAK, but gained about 25whp @ redline.

Does your latest dyno drop off @ the high RPM? the LE5 mani should help carry the power out to redline.

If you get a chance, after the dyno, post up both graphs, as well as your timing and AFR (tuned) curves if possible. My butt dyno tells me in general the n/a L61 likes leaner better than richer + timing but we know how accurate those are lol.

OH, and i'll get pics of that TB adapter plate when i tear down later this year.

Friday, April 23, 2010 5:44 AM
Oldskool.. Thanks for the reply. I drop power off by 6500 rpm. So yes, I'm hoping to pull power through 7 K. Manily because of the stock manifold I believe. I will post up graphs for sure!

I'm a little confused on the peak whp vs redline whp! Not sure how that works. I think you got me depressed with the peak whp but excited about 25 whp at redline! lol

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"

Friday, April 23, 2010 6:56 AM
02ECOTECIMPORTKILLER wrote:Oldskool.. Thanks for the reply. I drop power off by 6500 rpm. So yes, I'm hoping to pull power through 7 K. Manily because of the stock manifold I believe. I will post up graphs for sure!

I'm a little confused on the peak whp vs redline whp! Not sure how that works. I think you got me depressed with the peak whp but excited about 25 whp at redline! lol
Peak is the difference between the highest points on the after vs teh before graph. The gain should be more @ redline because it drops off, where the after should carry out more linearly. See this example Notice the big chunk of new found power in the top end? Even though there wasn't a dramatic gain in the "peak" number

Just some examples - You made a peak of 155whp before, but @ redline it may have been 140whp. Now you may make a peak of 165whp, which may happen at or near redline. That means you only gained 10 from your previous peak, but you gained 25 at that point. Make sense? For the purposes of a street car, area under the curve deserves as much attention as peak numbers IMHO.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search