GP FEELER: 2.3 Oil Pump Pick-Up Relocation and New Style Pick-Up Adapter Blocks - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
GP FEELER: 2.3 Oil Pump Pick-Up Relocation and New Style Pick-Up Adapter Blocks
Thursday, December 03, 2009 9:46 PM
I decided to start an official group purchase feeler thread for the 2.3 oil pump pick up relocation adapter blocks here. Any and all discussion can be brought into this thread as well as the list for the interested parties. If you are interested in this, please feel free to enter you're information on the list.

Q: What are these exactly?
A: They are a custom cut block of aluminum that bolts directly to the 2.3 oil pump in place of the oil-pump pick-up. They allow you to either relocate the stock 2.3 oil pump pick-up to a different clocked position so that you may retain your stock oil pan. Or.. you can opt to utilize a completely different style of pick-up used for a different engine to do the same job. In the end both ways allow the use of the stock 2.4 oil pan with minor modification needed.

Q: Why would I want to retain my stock oil pan?
A: Ground clearance would no longer be an issue. One less thing that needs to be accomplished and not everybody knows someone that can or has a tig welder readily available to deepen the oil pan.

Q: Wouldn't more oil be a good thing with use of a deeper pan?
A: Yes but if more oil capacity is a concern one merely needs to add an oil cooler set-up to achieve such. You also still get to have accurate oil amount readings from the stock dipstick.

I have found a machinist locally that has been making these blocks for a few years now with great success. The reason he had the idea in the first place was to be able to do the 2.3 oil pump swap but keep the stock pan so the officials at the stock car track would never know anything had been changed.

He has 16 of the blocks that you can use with the different style pick-up available for purchase. The aftermarket pick-up is available through auto parts outlets and is made by Melling. I still need to get the part number for this, I will post it in here the second I get it from the machinist. He does have it on file.

He has more of the blocks that just relocate the stock pick-up though so if anybody is interested in this one there are plenty to be had.

He said he would knock off $10 each if there were five buyers and $20 each if ten buyers. Normal price is $110 each.

5 buyers = $100 + shipping
10 buyers = $90 + shipping

I think its pretty reasonable. pick up tubes can be bought at any local auto parts store, it is a melling part. he didnt have the part number right there in front of him thats the only reason I do not have it. He said they run about $30 each, or at least they did 3 years ago.

The list so far:

1.) brad wheeler (z yaaaa) (1) new style pick up
2.) luke heier (cursed cav) (1) new style pick up
3.) Mike Davis (-MD- Enforcer) (1) new style pick up....Price pending
4.) Darren Chesterton (GTPSunfire) (1) new style pick up
5.) Gerry Shepard-97 Z24-at least 1 New pick-up style possibly more if available
6.)
7.)
8.)
9.)
10.)

Pictures:

or... a completely different pick-up all together...

Stand in the corner and SCREAM with me!!!!

Re: GP FEELER: 2.3 Oil Pump Pick-Up Relocation and New Style Pick-Up Adapter Blocks
Friday, December 04, 2009 2:10 AM
5.) Gerry Shepard-97 Z24-at least 1 New pick-up style possibly more if available
6.)Eddie Treto (Toyota 24s) (1)
7.)
8.)
9.)
10.)
Re: GP FEELER: 2.3 Oil Pump Pick-Up Relocation and New Style Pick-Up Adapter Blocks
Sunday, December 06, 2009 10:15 PM
picked up ten blocks today from him. also got the melling part number and a whole bunch of pictures of the entire setup.

but, i just drove 4.5 hours home in a blizzard and i am too freaking tired to post the stuff up!

so tomorrow it is!

Monday, December 07, 2009 3:57 AM
I love snow.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, December 07, 2009 5:23 AM
suck fnow.

Monday, December 07, 2009 7:13 AM
7.)kevin richlmayr (1) new style pick up
8.)
9.)
10.)
Thursday, December 10, 2009 4:10 PM
more pics:

pick-up part number...

Thursday, December 10, 2009 6:42 PM
damn... if i had the money and didnt already have a modified oil pan...

Saturday, December 12, 2009 1:01 PM
bump. we need just three more interested parties and i can start up the group purchase.

Saturday, December 12, 2009 3:06 PM

7.)kevin richlmayr (1) new style pick up
8.)jared methe (1) new style pick up
9.)
10.)

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2623318

Sunday, December 13, 2009 7:28 AM
one more to go, boys!

6.) Eddie Treto (Toyota 24s) (1)
7.) kevin richlmayr (1) new style pick up
8.) jared methe (1) new style pick up
9.) James Martin (misnblu) (1) new style pick up
10.)

Saturday, December 19, 2009 10:52 AM
10.) Matthew Jollymore (1)

Saturday, December 19, 2009 10:53 AM
10.) Matthew Jollymore (1) new style pick up

Saturday, December 19, 2009 3:25 PM
very nice. thanks guys.

i dont know that the group purchase will get started this week due to christmas but it will for sure be up the following week.

Tuesday, January 05, 2010 11:53 AM
ok, who all has the funds for these NOW?

toying with the idea of doing it in a little over a month so people can get their tax money back giving those with tight budgets some breathing room.

but if everybody has the money now, no problem i will get it up ASAP.

Trailer Queen corvette wanna-be with 40 coats of wax and powdercoating that soaks in.
Tuesday, January 05, 2010 12:11 PM
I have no money till early Feb.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, January 05, 2010 12:11 PM
[1.) brad wheeler (z yaaaa) (1) new style pick up
10.) Matthew Jollymore (1) new style pick up
11.) max bell (maxz24) (1) new style pick up

Tuesday, January 05, 2010 12:41 PM
ok well with anything you buy comes disclaimers... and these are no different.

DISCLAIMER:

there are no warranties on said part, only a craftsmanship gaurentee. if item goes bad due to material defectiveness then it will be replaced following an investigation into exactly why. only when it has been deemed defective will seller replace item. buyer is responsbile for shipment back to seller.

the seller has advised me to inform buyers of a possible fitment issue due to ARP main studs. slight clearancing may be needed in order to get proper fitment. use whatever you feel comfortable using as far as tools to gain such clearance.

the seller has also advised me to inform buyers that clearancing will still be needed to the pan in various areas. one being in the back where the oil pump sits.

and of course with custom parts you do run the risk of something happening. please use caution with installation and use at own risk.

these have been used on circle track stock cars and have been successful there. they have never been used on a street car so buyer beware.

PLEASE BE SURE TO CONFIRM OIL PRESSURE BEFORE OR UPON INITIAL START-UP.

i am on the middle man on these, if something happens please contact me and i will get in contact with the seller.

Trailer Queen corvette wanna-be with 40 coats of wax and powdercoating that soaks in.
Tuesday, January 05, 2010 9:09 PM
welp i said screw it and went through with it LOL

group purchase has been paid for and posted. just waiting on moderation approval and were a go!

Tuesday, January 05, 2010 10:49 PM
This is redundant, but I'd put a note about using threadlocker on the bolts in the disclaimer. It should be redundant to anyone without their head in their ass, but it would be a good idea to do so to cover your ass.

Nice work on this Brad, it seems like such an obvious solution now, doesn't it? (the adapter block I mean, not the threadlocker)

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 3:42 AM
Brad, I dont have paypal. CAn I send you a certified cheque? If not, I can give Chris cash and he can paypal it to you. Let me know. I have cash ready to go for this.

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 5:29 AM
kurt-damn, thats a nice idea. i fail at overlooking it. i will edit the official thread when it comes up in the group purchase forum. but as for now, yes... please use thread locker aka locktite on any bolts.

i will need to get you a quote on the shipping. pm me you're address information so i can get an exact amount.

also pm me about funds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, January 06, 2010 5:33 AM

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 12:45 PM
again little @!#$ but dont forget red or blue thread locker... again i know its simple to most of us... but to cover your ass...

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 3:12 PM
You don't use red on aluminum.

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 3:39 PM
we got it covered, thanks though vince.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search