2.2 ohv performance question - Page 3 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 2.2 ohv performance question
Sunday, March 14, 2010 2:46 PM
Bob Guptill wrote:for ana ll motor setup how is the 12:1 not good for the street?

my cam is wayy overdone for the street but a car with strong enough fuel and a super good tune and a nice cam that low $ option is just fine for a nice bump in power

It is not good to run on the street as a daily driver as he is wanting to do you would have to constantly run premium gas and unless you got a good tune and a some supporting mods it would be worthless, now if your building a race car as you have bob it is fine to run but the most i would go with on a car that will be drivin on the streets is 11:1 also with all that kind of heat coming from that high of compression how long would it last

Erik Packard

Sunday, March 14, 2010 3:44 PM
with the right tune high compressionw ont hurt a thing

i said before it would need high octane fuel but reliability is not a question.

cylinder pressures with the high comp setup are far less than a turbo setup and plenty of people run turbo on the street.

we have doen this setup in a car with a bone stock engine otherwise and it gained a ton of power and it runs on a 93/110 50/50 mix fuel with no computer tuning at all done.

just because you "wudlnt run it" does not mean it would not work

heat is caused by fuel mixture not compression, run a little rich and it will be plenty cool
Sunday, March 14, 2010 4:15 PM
LNF compression is 11:1 stock, i guarantee people aren't putting 93 in their car with this motor.

Compression and reliability is only a problem if you didn't do something right.

Sunday, March 14, 2010 4:18 PM
*LAF 2.4

Sunday, March 14, 2010 7:34 PM
Josh G. wrote:Honestly I dont know many people that are willing to do a port n polish job for a couple hundred.

Here is a rounded up figure to feed an idea of prices.

1.6:1 roller rockers $190-220 (depending on brand)
Cometic MLS $100-125 (depending on thickness)
1mm bigger vales $200-300 (last I checked)
Port n polish $300-1,300 (depending on what you do in addition) (*most over sized valves require new valve guides)

You putting the motor together yourself? If not add $$$

What about these....

stronger pushrods
stonger,stiffer valve springs (strongly suggested, may require reground valve springs seating)
ARP studs
Eagle rods

why spend the money on a intake, headers etc.etc.etc. if the plan is turbo?

I am not argueing with any one I just know what it cost's. I know that it starts out I am only gonna spend.... then you end up replacing everything else. Do you honestly think I planned on my motor build costing me over $4k. HELL NO! I would have went another route.

I`ll say it again. If you want to play you have to pay.

I strongly suggest you forget building two motors. Save your money, buy the parts to build one motor and make it bad ass. Its worth the wait.

No matter what you do I wish you good luck. We are always here to anwser questions as long as it doesnt include the following: Cheapest way, Ebay turbo kits, or electric superchargers/turbos. LOL!

you don't need to do anything to the bottom end if you're staying under 300 hp, the valves are 100 bucks shipped from karo, you don't need arp studs, but it is something i would do. i wouldn 't worry about pushrods. if you want though, mony rods are like 40 bucks from a few companies. and the rockers can be had for cheaper than that. like a hundred fifty. so, if you're gonna tear it apart, new bearings, and rings, and all the machine work that comes with it. otherwise, just take off the head, and do head work. especially if you want to turbo someday. the 2.2 pistons will take that away from you.

and what about weed wacker turbos?LOL! had to put that in there.
Monday, March 15, 2010 9:46 AM
Verocity wrote:LNF compression is 11:1 stock, i guarantee people aren't putting 93 in their car with this motor.

Compression and reliability is only a problem if you didn't do something right.

LN2 Stock compression for 95-97 is 9:1 compression and 98-02 is 9.5:1 compression so im not sure where you got 11:1 stock the LN2 in any of those years did not come stock with that high of compression i know i took out my stock pistons and saw they were dished not bumped like the new wiseco ones i got and if you run higher then 10.5:1 compression is highly recommended that you run higher octane gas since you may burn a hole through the piston as for a cheap way to get power from the 2.2 if you get the 98+ pistons with the 97 or older head the compression will be 12:1 though not recommended if you want power its a good way to get it

Erik Packard
Monday, March 15, 2010 10:51 AM
ln2 and lnf is not the same engine, some of the HO DOHC engines did have really high stock compression which is what he was stating
Monday, March 15, 2010 12:21 PM
I appreciate everyones input on this, It is very helpful in getting me to understand this more. I will look into the different options that were suggested.

I also want to say, Im not looking for a daily driver with this car, Its never been a daily driver for me. I mainly want to use this as my bash car and my weekend cruiser somedays. I'm also not tryin to go crazy on power with this car, ill be happy to keep it under 300hp.

If I run the 12:1 compression would i still be able to use it as my bash/ cruiser?

JBO Member since 2006.
Monday, March 15, 2010 1:54 PM
Yes you can run the 12:1 compression, it will get out a ton more power but you will have to run 93 octane, with that, some head work, and some other parts that LN2 could be developed into one heck of an engine and sorry the guy got me confused since this post is for a 2.2 LN2 not the LNF

Erik Packard
Monday, March 15, 2010 3:59 PM
Ok, thats sounds good. I dont mind running 93 octane. I also plan on getting a good tune as well.

Now If I use the 2200 pistons and head, would I have to bore out the cylinder walls out in order to fit the pistons? or are they already the same size as my stock 2.2 pistons?

Also with this setup would i have to change my crank as well or can I still use my original crank?

JBO Member since 2006.
Monday, March 15, 2010 4:17 PM
Jrcz24 wrote:I appreciate everyones input on this, It is very helpful in getting me to understand this more. I will look into the different options that were suggested.

I also want to say, Im not looking for a daily driver with this car, Its never been a daily driver for me. I mainly want to use this as my bash car and my weekend cruiser somedays. I'm also not tryin to go crazy on power with this car, ill be happy to keep it under 300hp.

If I run the 12:1 compression would i still be able to use it as my bash/ cruiser?

Sorry to be the barron of bad news but.... you better be happy keeping it under 200hp. This great setup that every one is telling you about running high compression and all the bolt ons galore will not get your engine any where near 300hp.

Monday, March 15, 2010 4:50 PM
Without a turbo there is no way this engine can run even close to 300hp but it was a cheap suggestion as said and use the 97 or older head with the 98+ pistons and it will have the high compression and the pistons should drop right in with the ring compressor the bore in both blocks is the same but im getting close to 200 hp at the flywheel with my n/a 2.2 cavalier running mid 15's so thats not to bad for the supposidly weak horsepower 3rd gen cavalier engine

Erik Packard
Monday, March 15, 2010 5:57 PM
Yea I know it wont get that fast, Ill take any hp as long as its more than stock hp.

JBO Member since 2006.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search