LN2 Build Thread - Page 2 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: LN2 Build Thread
Tuesday, April 20, 2010 10:26 AM
how about the port next to cylinder #1 exhaust?
is that a fitting tapped into the water jackets?
also is that a custom water neck, or just a pre '98?

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 11:32 AM
wow i like the custom drain for the coolant... ive always hated messy head pulls.

All I want... is a little of the good life
Tuesday, April 20, 2010 12:10 PM
no one ever uses the pet-cock in the radiator to drain the motor?
am I the only one?
Tuesday, April 20, 2010 8:54 PM
our racing radiators dont have a petcock, plus this one will just drain the motor not the entire cooling system for when we mess something up in the heat race or are pulling it apart in tech...

the cooland outlet by the #1 on the head is standard on all 2.2's and the water neck is a pre 95 before they had all the extra things.

got it all together today just need the carb...

also check out teh total lack of belt driven accesories, a lot fo power and weight saved right there

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 12:13 AM
Man, you must run one deep-cycle battery if you run with the alt omitted.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Tuesday, April 27, 2010 11:26 AM
optima blue top, figure we run no alt. but we have no power either just a fuel pump and dist, plus 2 gauge lights
Tuesday, April 27, 2010 1:02 PM
Put LEDs in those gauges & you'll have even less draw!

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Friday, April 30, 2010 5:23 AM
we can run for 3+ hours now.... i tihnk we are ok haha
Friday, April 30, 2010 12:55 PM
yo i need some ideas on my wifes 97 its a ln2 but has 200,000 miles sould i get the bottem end from a friend of mine it has 53,000 miles for 200 bucks, but needs a head, i have one . ,or build the bottem end i have.
Friday, April 30, 2010 11:25 PM
dude, your hradcore racer?? Ever tried or know anybody thats tried an itb setup on that motor??
Friday, May 14, 2010 10:57 PM
the car will be on the chassis dyno Monday May 24 at 9 am hahahaha... this engine obviously does not have teh race header so power might be slightly down but we will see

Saturday, May 15, 2010 10:30 AM
Bob, please post the actual graph and help to shut up some of the haters around here..

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Saturday, May 15, 2010 5:44 PM
definately i will do. as i stated this one is not running teh header so im expecting a 10-15 hp drop at 7000 the header really helps our high comp engine up top
Sunday, May 16, 2010 4:45 AM
Bob, What header do you run? What's the primary and/or secondary diameter? What's the collector design and dimensions? The headers with the ball and socket collectors leave a lot on the table. A well designed merge collector would help a lot.

I've been looking into SPD, Schoenfeld, Meg's (best pricing, you weld it yourself) and Burns Stainless. All of them offer them in mild steel (and 11/2" primary), but SPD and Burns offer stainless also. If you have lager than 15/8", there are many more options.

Sunday, May 16, 2010 11:05 PM
we run an ebay header right now 1 1/2 primary with the ball connector. it might leave a lot on teh table but not as much as that stock manifold with the 2" collector on it... lol
Tuesday, May 18, 2010 8:02 PM
MadJack wrote:Bob, What header do you run? What's the primary and/or secondary diameter? What's the collector design and dimensions? The headers with the ball and socket collectors leave a lot on the table. A well designed merge collector would help a lot.

I've been looking into SPD, Schoenfeld, Meg's (best pricing, you weld it yourself) and Burns Stainless. All of them offer them in mild steel (and 11/2" primary), but SPD and Burns offer stainless also. If you have lager than 15/8", there are many more options.

I've seen a header made for the S-truck LN2 that uses 1-7/8" primaries & a surprisingly small collector that bolts-up to the factory down-pipe. The real shock is how on a stock-headed '97--This is what the article in Minitruckin' said--it saw a 15hp gain w/21ft-lb of torque... with no other changes! When they later added a Patriot head, the top trim-level they offered, it saw another 12hp gain. WTH is going-on there!?

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Tuesday, May 18, 2010 8:30 PM
Here's one thread:Mini Truckin' Al's Header install

And here's the other:Street Trucks Patriot head install

Enjoy!

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Wednesday, May 19, 2010 10:22 AM
You need a Hogan's Intake Manifold for that thing......

Buy mine, lol

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 9:26 PM
and it takes a carb?
Wednesday, May 19, 2010 9:53 PM
LowFire wrote:You need a Hogan's Intake Manifold for that thing......

Buy mine, lol

I think he might have meant that for me. IDK... But I will agree that after all those other parts I listed are added, a choice cam & manifold... Maybe one with a larger plenum?... would be the ticket. Especially after adding 1.6 roller-rockers & lifters with LT-1 check & plunger springs. Maybe a set of Wiesco 10:1 pistons while we're at it? Hey, if you're gonna play it like that then playit!

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Sunday, May 23, 2010 12:53 PM
well i went ot the track with the car last night seems my cousin didnt know how to set it up and i helped shave .7 a lap off his times with some suspension work

on a downside...

the car is turning 1000-1300 rpm lower at the end of the straights without the header on it

so im not really hyped up for the dyno tomorrow. we are gonna try machining the exhaust manifold collector so that it doesnt choke the engine up as much but that wont go on before the dyno.

still turning decent lap times but he is definately down 15-25 hp than last year

Sunday, May 23, 2010 2:00 PM
Bob, Try CarCustoms.net 's Stainless Steel Exhaust Flange and get a header kit from Burn's Stainless, Stainless Exhaust, SPD, Schoenfeld, Dynatech, etc... with the merge collector and you'll probably see as much of a gain as you saw of a loss from the stock mani. 15/8" or 13/4" would be great for what you have. The stainless will last longer than the car and could always be sold latter, if it isn't FUBARed in a wreck!

Edit:I know that would cost as much as the rest of the motor!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, May 23, 2010 2:02 PM

Sunday, May 23, 2010 2:06 PM
our old header was not the issue. the track my cousin is running at requires a stock exhaust manifold. no headers allowed which is total bull but something we gotta follow for now
Sunday, May 23, 2010 2:17 PM
Eww, I guess you've gotta do what you've gotta do!

Sunday, May 23, 2010 2:22 PM
ya it really sucks, they let us run tube chassis, race tires, built motors, etc yet we cant run a header
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search