Thoughts and opinions for LN2 Build - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Thoughts and opinions for LN2 Build
Tuesday, July 20, 2010 9:43 AM
We race 3/8's and 1/4 mile dirt tracks in Iowa very successfully I might add. I'm looking to go even more wild this winter building two new motors, so here's what we have been hashing out for the next motors.
97 LN2 block
95 LN2 Head ported and polished w/ larger valves hopefully S.S.
E.G.R. Port Blocked Off
98 Piston Swap which will be clearanced for valves
Moly Rings
Eagle H Beam Rods
Full Roller 1.8 Crowler Rockers
3/4 or 1" Valve Cover Spacer Whatever is needed.
STOCK CAM AND PUSH RODS
97 LN2 Stock crank that will be lightened, knifed, and balanced
The block will be zero decked and the head will be decked .060 with a .040 head gasket.
Top feed Injector conversion
3/4" Upper Plenum Spacer
Upper Intake Conversion for 56mm Throttle body
AEM A.F.P. Regulator
90LB Fuel Pump
Under driven Pulleys
4 into 1 Pacesetter Header

Well this is my starting list. So let me know what you think at this point we are just getting the blocks tore down so everyone's input would be great. Thanks

Re: Thoughts and opinions for LN2 Build
Tuesday, July 20, 2010 10:10 AM
Why stock cam and pushrods?
How are you planning to swap the TB with a 95 head?
Your DCR will be through the roof with that setup... got methanol?

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Tuesday, July 20, 2010 2:20 PM
Maybe this guy should compare notes with Bob Guptil...

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Tuesday, July 20, 2010 7:07 PM
Using Stock cam and pushrods because I want to avoid cam lope on idle.
As far as the intake I'm going to modify one of my own or buy a mantapart upper.
And What is DCR?
Tuesday, July 20, 2010 11:14 PM
Dynamic
Compression
Ratio:

The actual compression-ratio resulted when all factors related to air-compression (Cylinder bore, Crank stroke length, combustion-chamber size... and things like intake-port shape & camshaft profile... and intake manifold design) are taken into account when calculating what the resultant in-cylinder pressure will be at TDC during the compression stroke.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Wednesday, July 21, 2010 7:43 AM
i agree, this build might not go as you think it will. unless you run race gas...it will need some measurements on your end i think. but the engines are cheap, so you can get quite a few at a yard and check out a lot.
Wednesday, July 21, 2010 1:02 PM
Our current setup is close to this, but only running 1.6 rockers with stock dished .030 over 98 pistons. Running 12.5 to 1. I'm shooting for 14 to 1 running 119 octane.
Wednesday, July 21, 2010 1:22 PM
0.000" block + 0.060" 97- head + 98+ pistons = 12.5:1 ? That doesn't even sound close... What more are you doing to hit 14:1?

Stock cam sucks. Even if you don't want a big lope for some reason, just a mild cam would REALLY open things up with everything else you're doing.... Also, some nice p-rods would help out a LOT if you're running dirt track (constant high-rpms).

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 2:50 PM
95 head with oversized valves decked .060, ported and polished
ported intake
98 .030 over piston

May have to stroke the new motors to get the extra compression.
Trying to stick to a stock cam but I'm not against a reground cam. Just going to have to crunch the #'s.
Wednesday, July 21, 2010 4:22 PM
you will need some kind of cam to open up some power and raise your powerband, stock cams make power around 4000 rpm and no higher. DONT DECK THE HEAD you will be way over 14:1 heck you will be at 11.5 with stock deck and 98 pistons.

how will you be tuning this setup? defintaely run race gas so you can throw the timing at it and make some reaal power
Wednesday, July 21, 2010 4:39 PM
Going to buy HP Tuner

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 11:05 PM
Klayton Kirkpatrick wrote:95 head with oversized valves decked .060, ported and polished
ported intake
98 .030 over piston

May have to stroke the new motors to get the extra compression.
Trying to stick to a stock cam but I'm not against a reground cam. Just going to have to crunch the #'s.

Don't bother trying to stroke it... It already is! Others have tried to add even more, both problems resulted.

^What I mean by that: The LN2 is based upon the '87-later OHV 2.0L I-4. It got to be 2.2L from an increase in stroke. So again: Don't bother!

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Saturday, July 24, 2010 7:28 PM
So talking cams I saw a few weeks ago about someone making new cast cams anyone know who.

I'm in the buying mood.
Monday, July 26, 2010 9:24 AM
Klayton Kirkpatrick wrote:So talking cams I saw a few weeks ago about someone making new cast cams anyone know who.
I'm in the buying mood.
Still on the first page: http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&i=456353&t=456353

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search