Round 2: External 6+1 Crank Trigger Wheels, Ecotecs and Quads - Page 4 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Round 2: External 6+1 Crank Trigger Wheels, Ecotecs and Quads
Friday, December 03, 2010 11:45 AM
ZOMG more ORG drama.....lol

Phil - Will the machine shop only do this if we have an order of 12? Or does the cost just significantly increase the fewer people we get ?

Friday, December 03, 2010 12:05 PM
Random suggestion.....

Dont the 3500 swap guys use the same trigger wheel? Or maybe Im wrong.

Just trying to pull in more folks.

Friday, December 03, 2010 1:28 PM
what the hell mark me down for one. Priggen

Friday, December 03, 2010 2:31 PM
TheSundownFire (GME Chat) wrote:Random suggestion.....

Yes buy they have a $140 kit that includes wheel and a timing bracket as well. Oldskool butchered this kit initially. I replicated it with y machinist to make it more affordable for us.

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Friday, December 03, 2010 7:43 PM

1. vic28
2. 15 second matt ecotec power
3. slo cav autocrossing dude
4. Brian (TheSundownFire)
5. Newt
6. Leafy
7. Alex Priggen

Kyle you don't get in on this GP you wont get one. This gp will probably go up over the holidays, I will PM everyone, just be ready, we need 5 more!

(doing fewer then 12 would make the cost of these go up due to setup time and such of the machinist. I wish I could)

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Saturday, December 04, 2010 10:12 AM
IamQwibby (Eco Meatcake) wrote:

Yes buy they have a $140 kit that includes wheel and a timing bracket as well. Oldskool butchered this kit initially. I replicated it with y machinist to make it more affordable for us.

Oh well. Worth a shot.

Saturday, December 04, 2010 10:27 AM
SLO CAV (autocrossing dude) wrote:Wow you all can't even afford 75 bucks. Geez someone takes the time to do something for our community and we get the typical broke ass responses.

Phil if we can't get the gp going can you see how much just a hand full would be. I am very interested in this and a le5 bottom end. Sorry to go off but this crap gets old. Carry on.

I must have missed where this whole swap cost $75? I can easily afford $75, what i cannot afford is the rest of the necessary parts i.e. block, headwork, turbo setup, since I already have a built 2.2 eco in my 2nd car, and that will get the attention first before I shell out the $75 for a trigger wheel that i will not be able to make use of till i have previously said things. carry on calling out people, sorry i was realistic when i wouldnt put my name on the list...

Saturday, December 04, 2010 11:03 AM
gmanz24 (The Bash Whore) wrote:
SLO CAV (autocrossing dude) wrote:Wow you all can't even afford 75 bucks. Geez someone takes the time to do something for our community and we get the typical broke ass responses.

Phil if we can't get the gp going can you see how much just a hand full would be. I am very interested in this and a le5 bottom end. Sorry to go off but this crap gets old. Carry on.

I must have missed where this whole swap cost $75? I can easily afford $75, what i cannot afford is the rest of the necessary parts i.e. block, headwork, turbo setup, since I already have a built 2.2 eco in my 2nd car, and that will get the attention first before I shell out the $75 for a trigger wheel that i will not be able to make use of till i have previously said things. carry on calling out people, sorry i was realistic when i wouldnt put my name on the list...

I never called anyone out. I never said the whole swap cost $75. You can buy the wheel first before everything while he is trying to get the gp started. So get your @!#$ straight. I never put anyone's name in my post.

Saturday, December 04, 2010 11:08 AM
Can we please get this under control?

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Saturday, December 04, 2010 11:50 AM
Yeppers.

Wednesday, December 08, 2010 12:16 AM
Sign me up, I want one

Wednesday, December 08, 2010 10:20 PM
1. vic28
5. Newt
6. Leafy
7. Alex Priggen
8. MJC15

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Thursday, December 09, 2010 4:34 AM

x2 - the 60* V6 guys have the ultimate product available - a key'ed wheel and mounting bracket that puts everything consistently where it should be - every time. They even had hashes on the mounting bracket to globally advance or retard +/- 5*. If there was a product like that available for us i'd gladly pay 150 for it. The wheels offered in this GP are as cheap as it gets, and it has to be that way here to reach the largest audience.

Honestly, talking with Phil recently, the order of most ideal (and expensive) to least ideal (and cheapest) is as follows:

1. A wheel cast (or welded, ect.) and timed to an aftermarket ligthweight crank pulley with a mounting system that puts the CKP sensor in the exact same place at all times. There is ZERO chance of anything moving or any install error mistiming it. The only way i could see doing this is to have a spare block at the machinist's disposal to use as a reference to time it. The labor/hours alone in this would be prohibitive for a market like ours.

2. A keyed trigger wheel that fits the keyway on a stock or aftermarket crank pulley and hardware to put the CKP sensor in the same place at all times. Again, pretty foolproof, but significantly less expensive than 1.

3. The product we have here. It's BY FAR the most cost effective option (wish it was available before my swap ), BUT you have to be as consistent as possible whenever you remove the wheel. Honestly, If you buiid the engine once and never have to remove the crank pulley it's not an issue, but if you get it together, get it tuned and for some reason have to take it (the wheel) off - think about how much a degree or two is out of 360*. For reference, one hour on a standard analog clock is 30*. W/o a key'ed wheel, i'd say there's easily +/-3* of error installing it - hell my first install was off by at least 5* if not more. I've got it down to a science now (between doing phil's once and mine three times), but there is some error in the human eye lol.

Anyways, all that to say that the wheel as we have it is awesome - simple cheap and effective. Just be aware that advance/retard in the installation translates to global advance/retard in spark timing, so if you feel you will need to time it more than once for whatever reason, come up with a way to keep it consistent. As mentioned previously, Phil and I are available to help via PM, email, phone ect. Hell, if you're local I'll come time it for you for a beer

Thursday, December 09, 2010 6:26 AM
oldskool (eco meatcake) wrote:

x2 - the 60* V6 guys have the ultimate product available - a key'ed wheel and mounting bracket that puts everything consistently where it should be - every time. They even had hashes on the mounting bracket to globally advance or retard +/- 5*. If there was a product like that available for us i'd gladly pay 150 for it. The wheels offered in this GP are as cheap as it gets, and it has to be that way here to reach the largest audience.

Honestly, talking with Phil recently, the order of most ideal (and expensive) to least ideal (and cheapest) is as follows:

1. A wheel cast (or welded, ect.) and timed to an aftermarket ligthweight crank pulley with a mounting system that puts the CKP sensor in the exact same place at all times. There is ZERO chance of anything moving or any install error mistiming it. The only way i could see doing this is to have a spare block at the machinist's disposal to use as a reference to time it. The labor/hours alone in this would be prohibitive for a market like ours.

2. A keyed trigger wheel that fits the keyway on a stock or aftermarket crank pulley and hardware to put the CKP sensor in the same place at all times. Again, pretty foolproof, but significantly less expensive than 1.

3. The product we have here. It's BY FAR the most cost effective option (wish it was available before my swap ), BUT you have to be as consistent as possible whenever you remove the wheel. Honestly, If you buiid the engine once and never have to remove the crank pulley it's not an issue, but if you get it together, get it tuned and for some reason have to take it (the wheel) off - think about how much a degree or two is out of 360*. For reference, one hour on a standard analog clock is 30*. W/o a key'ed wheel, i'd say there's easily +/-3* of error installing it - hell my first install was off by at least 5* if not more. I've got it down to a science now (between doing phil's once and mine three times), but there is some error in the human eye lol.

Anyways, all that to say that the wheel as we have it is awesome - simple cheap and effective. Just be aware that advance/retard in the installation translates to global advance/retard in spark timing, so if you feel you will need to time it more than once for whatever reason, come up with a way to keep it consistent. As mentioned previously, Phil and I are available to help via PM, email, phone ect. Hell, if you're local I'll come time it for you for a beer

Mark the wheel/pulley after initial install, or drill/tap and install a setscrew or pin in the assembly to hold position. Then you can remove and install all while keeping timing.

Thursday, December 09, 2010 6:34 AM
Not a bad idea, i'm just not sure if it would affect balance. I understand these are balanced as the come from the machinist. I wouldn't think a small pin would affect balance that much, but i'm no expert in that area.

Thursday, December 23, 2010 11:22 AM
Bumping this back up.

Any more progress or I guess we are still waiting on getting 12 people?

Thursday, December 23, 2010 11:57 AM
No, we're waiting for more people. Unless someone wants to buy a few at a time lmao. Lemme call MD Enforcer

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Monday, January 03, 2011 1:34 PM
Updates?

Monday, January 03, 2011 1:38 PM
I gotz no callz YO!

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, January 03, 2011 1:47 PM
I just called and no answer

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Monday, January 03, 2011 2:34 PM
What the hell Phil, mark me down for one. I dunno when i would use it, but i know i'll kick myself for not getting one.

1. vic28
5. Newt
6. Leafy
7. Alex Priggen
8. MJC15
9. Tinkles

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Monday, January 03, 2011 5:57 PM
Awesome tink!

Mike I called you didnt answer

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Tuesday, January 04, 2011 3:27 AM
I was driven son!

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, January 04, 2011 11:46 AM
Lets go boys !

lol

Tuesday, January 04, 2011 12:13 PM
calling back didn't seem like a good idea?

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search