Aluminum Intake Manifold TIG Fabrication Questions - Page 3 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Aluminum Intake Manifold TIG Fabrication Questions
Tuesday, August 16, 2011 11:46 PM
Doesnt look too bad! The flange looks a bit warped though, planing and stress cuts itll be fine. Cant wait to see more of this, makes me wana start one

Thursday, August 18, 2011 9:30 PM
icemike89 wrote:The flange looks a bit warped though

That's a bit of an understatement . When I bolted the manifold to the head, the flange flattened out nicely, but now runners 1&4 are about 0.5" apart laterally (runner #1 is actually pressing against runner #2). Luckily, I should be able to make that up easily with a 0.5" extension on runner #1.

Sadly though, I think I might have to redo the merge, and I'm running very low on 1/8" 304 plate

I have no signiture
Tuesday, September 06, 2011 8:37 PM
Done...

I have no signiture
Tuesday, September 06, 2011 9:05 PM
Few things worry me.... the tilt on the turbo might be of slight concern... others will have to chime in on that more.... and obviously custom hood....

Tuesday, September 06, 2011 9:26 PM
I really don't see an issue with the tilt. It puts more torsional stress on the merge area, but I really don't see it being a huge deal. I have been thinking of ways to brace it to the head flange

Regarding the hood, I will be hitting up the junkyard before too long for a spare hood to modify.

I have no signiture
Tuesday, September 06, 2011 9:42 PM
i was thinking more along the lines of oil draining. its at an angle. Normally you want that as straight up as you can get. For as much as you have to modify the hood already so had you made the turbo straight up woudlnt have been much of a difference

Tuesday, September 06, 2011 9:56 PM
I see your point. Having the turbo at an angle actually lets it sit lower in the engine bay, and if it's parallel, the oil fill interferes with the compressor inlet. When I start blowing seals, Vince, you'll be the first to know

I have no signiture
Tuesday, September 06, 2011 10:16 PM
looks like your downpipe is going to be a task in itself with wastegate positioning, why the need for 2 wastegates?

i applaud the hands on approach youre going with but couldnt you position the turbo top mount wise without needing a hole cut in the hood other guys are doing top mounts with decent sized turbo's without any issues

Tuesday, September 06, 2011 10:55 PM
Nobody has done an s300. The compressor housing won't fit without cutting into the firewall. The reason there are 2 wastegates is because this is a true twin scroll manifold. There is enough room for a 3" downside, but it's going to be tight.

I have no signiture
Tuesday, September 06, 2011 10:58 PM
"downpipe" (stupid auto-correct)

I have no signiture
Monday, October 03, 2011 10:51 PM
just run the exhaust out the hood. no need to run it all the way back

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search