Thrice's Turbo TC/Q4 Hybrid Build - Page 10 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Thrice's Turbo TC/Q4 Hybrid Build
Saturday, November 27, 2010 12:43 PM
damn dood that is BS! id chuck the bottom end through jiffy lube's front window.

so does this mean the build is on hold for awhile? $5k... god that hurts.

If it takes forever.... I will die trying. Underdog Racing

Saturday, November 27, 2010 1:57 PM
z yaaaa wrote:damn dood that is BS! id chuck the bottom end through jiffy lube's front window.

so does this mean the build is on hold for awhile? $5k... god that hurts.

Has yet to be seen whether or not this will put a damper on things come next season. Having the want to get an apartment with my gf of 5 years (we're 22), it's very likely next season will be a bust, sadly.

Sunday, June 12, 2011 3:54 PM
What do you guys think, EKM3's or KZ-J's?

Sunday, June 12, 2011 4:32 PM
i think i wanna see 600whp in ur j-body.
Sunday, June 12, 2011 9:33 PM
Haha me too. Sadly there's easily still $3,500+ left of work just to get it to move. 600hp was never my goal, and I certainly couldn't achieve that with this build. I'm only aiming for 300-350 but well built, solid, and as reliable as I can possibly make it. The sunfire is for sure not going to make it this year. It also doesn't help that the Mazda's suspension blew, so I bought a set of K-sport coilovers for it because of the deal I got for them. DD comes first, or else I can't even get to work to get the money to finish the sunflower. Slowly but surely it will get done, im in no rush. I want it done right, and if moving at the speed of molasses in winter is what it takes, so be it i guess. Life gets more expensive with each passing year, and it fukcing sucks lol.

That being said, i do hope to start working on it again soon. Need to finish helping my dad with the mustang first before i can even take the tarps off the fire.

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 10:54 AM
Short story.

Borrowed my buddy's new 2011 speed3 for a week, and the following day after returning it I started working on the sunfire by making a vacuum manifold.

Ractronix pump and wirekit are under my Christmas tree, and January I swamp oil pump gears, take head and block over to the machine shop, and attempt to get a hold of mcmoney's adjustable cam gears and timing cover.

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 1:51 PM
Nice to see a update.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 9:24 AM
Addicted to meth wrote:Nice to see a update.

I'm only 23 and i'm going to sound like an old man saying it, but, life keeps getting in the way. Hate it when that happens.

But thankfully Santa has been Uber nice this year and gifted me several necessities for the car.

Aeromotive AFPR

Vibrant Exhaust tips, Oval with angled cut

Racetronix W-body pump, and hotwire kit.

also one more picture of the half polished vacuum manifold. just need to finish up the last side.

and leading up to the christmas weekend i went for my welding test, this was my horizontal root with start/stop. Not sure what the american standards are for GMAW testing, but CWB requires 1 start and stop on the second root pass for horizontal.

Thanks for lookin.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 9:41 AM
Nice weld. Far better than I can do.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 10:21 AM
mitdr774 wrote:Nice weld. Far better than I can do.

Thanks! i would hope i could have some decent looking welds since i'm always doing it for fun. Figured i'd give the testing a try and get my tickets.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 3:52 PM
At work I have managed to successfully weld up a few brackets and then attach them to building steel or equipment without them falling off. I didnt learn much at school for stick welding, but had a few journeymen that were willing to try and teach me. However just like my mig welder, rare welding/practice means that I never really get good at it. BTW, I hate overhead welding with a stick welder.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 4:48 PM
Thankfully my job only uses mig. The last time I did any stick (which I also hate) was 5-6 years ago in high school. Overhead mig isn't terrible by any means, but it is a bit trickier just from spatter caused by lower "heat"; I find, anyways.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 6:28 PM
My MIG needing a new liner does not help me any either.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 9:43 PM
We just finally replaced our hose/liner/gun, after 2 years of it shorting out randomly like twice a week (because of the rubber sheathing on the neck of the gun was cut up in many places), with a new Lincon unit and my god does it ever make a world of difference. it's just funny because we use a ancient Hobart 250 welder, but now with Lincon gun/hose, nozzles, and electrode tips. whatever works I guess

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 6:16 AM
Looking good.

I have no signiture
Wednesday, December 28, 2011 9:14 AM
Whalesac wrote:Looking good.

I work out.....

joking aside, thanks man. Did you ever end up getting that TIG welder you were after a couple years back?

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 10:26 AM
Yup. I warped the T4 flange on the manifold, and I still can't weld Aluminum for crap.

I have no signiture
Wednesday, December 28, 2011 11:50 AM
lol @ the T4 flange, and i know the feeling about aluminum. I took an introduction to TIG welding class last year that covers everything on the test to get your tickets, and you even do a "mock" test which essentially is the real one, just with no official inspector. Every 3rd weld would look fantastic, and you'd think you're getting the hang of it.....then you accidentally dip the electrode in the puddle and start from the bottom again. Super annoying.

Here's a picture from last year of a "for fun" log manifold i welded up. Let me know what you think of the weld.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 12:20 PM
Weld looks good, better than most of my steel welds could have cleaned up that but ending on the right. How thick was the tubing you welded to it? Couldn't have been as thick as the plate but looks like you still got enough heat into the plate, which I find kind of hard to do without blowing a hole in the tube or just putting too much heat into the part from taking too damn long. I hear ya about touching the tip, I'm glad i dont pay for my tungston here at school because I blow through it with how many times I have to grind it clean, I really touch the puddle a lot when doing aluminum.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Wednesday, December 28, 2011 1:42 PM
Leafy (Club Jeffie FEA man) wrote:Weld looks good, better than most of my steel welds could have cleaned up that but ending on the right. How thick was the tubing you welded to it? Couldn't have been as thick as the plate but looks like you still got enough heat into the plate, which I find kind of hard to do without blowing a hole in the tube or just putting too much heat into the part from taking too damn long. I hear ya about touching the tip, I'm glad i dont pay for my tungston here at school because I blow through it with how many times I have to grind it clean, I really touch the puddle a lot when doing aluminum.

That's Schedule 10 piping, same stuff used by majority of fabricators on this site, for log manifolds. I don't have the thickness measurement on hand, but, i "believe" it's 3/16ths" thick, while the flange is 1/2". That's obviously not aluminum, wish i had some pictures of my aluminum welds from last year, it'd be good to refer back to for when i can get the funds together for a nice Lincon unit. Pricey sons-a-bitches if you want mig/tig + aluminum welding ability, looking at $3000 Canadian for the one i want

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 9:12 PM
Theres a nice starter setup from miller with a pedal, flex torch with thumb control, ac/dc, HF start, 120/240, and all that jazz for like either 2 or 3k. Then there is also the hobart that does most of that stuff for like either 1300 or 1800.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 9:44 PM
If your looking for a nice tig, check out the new invertig221 from HTP. This is what I'm buying when my blower sells. There customer service is awesome too, you get actual people who will help on phone and they're not in india. It's got more features than you will ever get from a miller or lincoln in that price range. Also has built in memory for welding settings, room for like 20+. Check out the youtube reviews on them. They're located just outside Chicago in the burbs, and the air coold version starts at 2,399. You can get the older model 201 invertig with water cooler setup for about 1800 to 2200 off craigslist from time to time with cart and tanks

Alright I'm done plugging a product. Welds look pretty good on the mani too btw.

Thursday, December 29, 2011 6:22 AM
I buy all my tungsten,filler rod, collets, collet bodies and nozzles from HTP. I also bought my helmet from them as well, but my welder is an Everlast PowerTIG 200DX. It's not quite a Miller, but it's one of the better low cost TIG inverters. There are really only 2 things I don't like about it:
1) The foot pedal design leaves little to be desired
2) Foot pedal control overrides the max current setting on the front panel

If I knew what I know now, I would have spent a little more and gone with the 250EX, which takes care of problem #2 above. I plan to pick up a plasma cutter of theirs sometime in the future as well.

I have no signiture
Thursday, December 29, 2011 10:50 AM
Awesome info, thanks guys! I'll definitely look into those suggestions. If i can pony up the spare cash for a nice TIG by the summer, i may be able to do up my exhaust with it versus using the MIG :s

Thursday, December 29, 2011 1:03 PM
Maybe its the picture but that one looks a little cut in. But I think its just the way it looks on the screen.

I know if I get a tig welder, its going to be what they call the Miller briefcase welder. size of a briefcase, programmable, easy to carry, nice and concealed and very mobile. Granted it cant weld the heavy thick stuff, but it can weld exhaust, and charge pipes and body panels if need be.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search