Cone Filter on Stock Intake Tube (ecotec) - Page 2 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Cone Filter on Stock Intake Tube (ecotec)
Sunday, August 07, 2011 7:33 AM
blucavvy wrote:
Rick wrote: The differance between the ebay pipe + k&n or brand name intake VS just putting a K&N filter on the end of the factory intake tubing is minimal.

you didn't lose me anywhere. that is you i'm quoting right? go ahead and argue semantics. putting a filter on the end of the stock intake and using the stock intake the way it is is going to have the same effect. HE DIDN'T MAKE ANY HP PUTTING THAT POS SPECTRE FILTER ON THE END OF THAT INTAKE. even putting a high quality filter (like k+n) on the end of the stock intake system will have little, IF ANY gains.

y would you honestly believe a cheap autozone filter on the end of the stock intake system would make any better power over the stock intake system?

and i hate to break it to you but your'e 100% wrong. the ENTIRE stock intake is restrictive. even the oval shaped pipe with ribs all over it. those ribs break up the straight flow of air. which is y all aftermarket intakes are straight pipe. so no, it's not just the resonator and the airbox. the ENTIRE stock intake system was designed to lower noise and is incredibly restrictive.

the only way to actually free up the intake and create better airflow is to replace the ENTIRE thing, anything else is a complete and utter waste of time.

please show me dyno proof of someone gaining 4-8 hp with nothing but a k+n filter on the end of the stock intake. cone or panel.

I must have lost you, Still I do not see how I compared a COMPLETE stock intake to a aftermarket one??? When did I say that the stock intake isnt restrictive? It is????? I clearly said that the air box and the resonator was the MOST restrictive part. So yes I am a 100% right, if you remove those two parts from the intake, you would gain power. If you remove the whole system, you would gain a little more power. BUT the differance between the VERY restrictive (as you say it) 3" plastic pipe with some ripples and a smooth metal pipe is minimal in making power.
Putting a K&N or a "POS SPECTRA" or even not putting a filter on the end of that intake tube will increase HP. Its common sence. Replacing only a muffler on a car with a POS fart can or a magnaflow muffler or having no muffler at all, WILL INCREASE HP. each may sound different but will give similar results.
Lets see a dyno of your ebay intake and K&N?? THERE IS NO DYNO RESULTS, you know why? Its a cheap mod, but it works. You save $100 or so by going that way. Why do you think the brand name intakes cost so much? they are all dyno tested to "prove" it works. I doubt anyone has paid a few hundred to see what a $50 mod has done. But it is common sence that in would make a differance power. for you to say it will actually lose power as well, well you are just plain stupid if you think that. Look on the Cobaltss.net site. there is many cars on there that have done the "air box mod" and put a k&n filter on it, TRUST ME, it made a very noticeable differance on my butt dyno. As well as the dyno results on that site from other members I have seen several years ago when I had my SS.

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires
2005 Mazda 3 GS Auto- Wifes car
2006 Cobalt SS/SC - Intake, 2.5" Exhaust, GMPP Brakes, Solid Mounts, Ported S/C - Sold
1991 GMC Sierra - Lifted on 38.5" Swampers, Too much to list off. For Sale

Sunday, August 07, 2011 1:16 PM
i'm talking to a wall.

YOUR BUTT DYNO DOESN'T MEAN A GOD DAMN THING.

Sunday, August 07, 2011 5:51 PM
Reading > You
I wrote all that and you only seen one sentence.
I would love to "prove " you wrong with an actual dyno but if I had a couple hundred dollars to throw away just to prove a point, I probably would not be driving a cavy.

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires
2006 Cobalt SS/SC - Intake, 2.5" Exhaust, GMPP Brakes, Solid Mounts, Ported S/C - Sold
Sunday, August 07, 2011 6:45 PM
proof
Go down to about post 8, he removed the air filter box &resonator, keeping s tube and box above tb and no filter, gained 5 hp, removing s tube and box above tb only added an extra 2-3 hp on top of that. Also few more post down guy gained 3 hp with k&n drop in filter with box and resonator still in place on a 2.4
But wait, everything is a pointless mod unless you get a magic piece of pipe too. Right?
Once again, YES a complete intake will give you the most power, but putting a cone on end of stock tube or k&n drop in, etc all adds power. It certainly does NOT reduce it like u said before.

Sunday, August 07, 2011 8:06 PM
wholy @!#$. that is not proof. we've been over this.

get someone to dyno a stock intake, then to dyno a stock intake with a cone filter attached to the rest of the stock intake and see if they gain power. unless it's a k+n i'd be willing to bet money they lose hp. especially that spectre filter. just because it's a cone filter does not mean it's better than stock.

god damn newbies.

period.

Sunday, August 07, 2011 10:28 PM
blucavvy wrote:wholy @!#$. that is not proof. we've been over this.

get someone to dyno a stock intake, then to dyno a stock intake with a cone filter attached to the rest of the stock intake and see if they gain power. unless it's a k+n i'd be willing to bet money they lose hp. especially that spectre filter. just because it's a cone filter does not mean it's better than stock.

god damn newbies.

period.

Wow, I have been on many different forums and I have never seen someone stupider than you. Again, I am not going to throw away hundreds of dollars just to prove some dumbass wrong.

God damn idiot with his head up his ass

Sunday, August 07, 2011 11:33 PM
What, is KandN the end all be all of air filters? lol

Rick wrote:
blucavvy wrote:wholy @!#$. that is not proof. we've been over this.

god damn newbies.

period.

Wow, I have been on many different forums and I have never seen someone stupider than you. Again, I am not going to throw away hundreds of dollars just to prove some dumbass wrong.

God damn idiot with his head up his ass

agreed!

13.3 @ 106 mph Cammed
Monday, August 08, 2011 4:27 PM
you do realize you just said stupider right?

Monday, August 08, 2011 5:37 PM
OMG, I had no idea, thanks for pointing that out......

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search