alternative to motor mounts - Page 2 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: alternative to motor mounts
Wednesday, February 20, 2013 11:44 AM
whats wrong with just putting in the two poly mounts and doing it right? its tested and proven to work well

im all for ingenuity...but I have the TTR upper and lower and i have no need for added support..they do the job 100%, the two critical mount locations between the engine and the chassis are effectively upgraded with a very simple install. far better than any bar that only adds weight, drilling, welding, heavy support, etc. and not to mention altering the vehilces engine break down design during an impact. engine is designed to break away from the cabin...you start adding mount locations you could alter the direction the engine goes during a high speed collision

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.

Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:55 PM
blu04DD wrote:whats wrong with just putting in the two poly mounts and doing it right? its tested and proven to work well

nothing wrong with it. People just like to try something different. where's the fun if every J you see has the same poly mounts? It's fun and neat seeing something different and fully functional, not to mention having OPTIONS.

"If I'm not back in 5 minutes...just wait longer"
Thursday, February 21, 2013 4:25 PM
Cavalier Zzzz...24 wrote:
blu04DD wrote:whats wrong with just putting in the two poly mounts and doing it right? its tested and proven to work well

nothing wrong with it. People just like to try something different. where's the fun if every J you see has the same poly mounts? It's fun and neat seeing something different and fully functional, not to mention having OPTIONS.

But theres also a thing called over engineering.

Thursday, February 21, 2013 4:51 PM
Brian (TheSundownFire) wrote:
Cavalier Zzzz...24 wrote:

But theres also a thing called over engineering.

Nothing wrong with overkill. lol. If you know it's more than you need, it's less likely to fail IMO.

Thursday, February 21, 2013 5:24 PM
I wouldn't use the word over engineering... more like over thinking a problem

use poly mounts, done.

there's no reason for a torque damper other than too cheap and lazy to replace the mounts (the rear trans mount is a complete PITA).

Thursday, February 21, 2013 8:27 PM
quad 4 owns all of you hahahahhaa

Thursday, February 21, 2013 8:32 PM
scott (section8cav) wrote:quad 4 owns all of you hahahahhaa

Poor 2.3 thinks he's a 3.8...lol

Friday, February 22, 2013 11:22 AM
ive been wondering how the tranny mounts are..thats the only component on my j that is not upgraded lol....is it just a lot of removal or difficult to get at for the rear mount? i noticed the front is 3 simple bolts and prob supporting the motor/tranny with a jack.

there are tons of ways to do your own work and be custom, but when a simple product is simple and 100% effective and affordable, i just dont see the reason to over complicate.
more power to you if you come up with someone trend-setting and cheaper but safer at the same time!

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Friday, February 22, 2013 3:35 PM
^^The rear tranny mount isnt that bad. But then again ive done them a few times.

The key is to undo your master cylinder off the brake booster so you can get a long extension down there. Then get the bolt that holds it to the car from underneath with a wrench. The whole job takes maybe an hour.
Saturday, February 23, 2013 11:10 AM
blu04DD wrote:ive been wondering how the tranny mounts are..thats the only component on my j that is not upgraded lol....is it just a lot of removal or difficult to get at for the rear mount? i noticed the front is 3 simple bolts and prob supporting the motor/tranny with a jack.

there are tons of ways to do your own work and be custom, but when a simple product is simple and 100% effective and affordable, i just dont see the reason to over complicate.
more power to you if you come up with someone trend-setting and cheaper but safer at the same time!

Like Philly said if you make a little wiggle room with the master cylinder you can hit the top 3 bolts with a long extension. I recently did my tranny mounts and I'm really impressed with the difference. Before I experienced some wheel hop when taking off or going hard into second. With the mounts it spins the wheels SO smooth its like I'm on glass. I really didn't expect much of a difference but I can honestly say it was well, well worth it.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search