CAVALIER SS is on the road! - Page 2 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: CAVALIER SS is on the road!
Wednesday, October 12, 2011 4:41 AM
yeah pretty cool start props for that. but it has definatly been done a few times before.

and a v8 cavalier is enough to stand on its own. like said its pretty unique, so no need to use the SS phrase.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, October 12, 2011 4:42 AM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 5:29 AM
i don't know why everyone gets upset when someone calls their car an ss. who cares seriously.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 7:37 AM
Awesome job! My only criticism is that the rear of the car is too freakin high lol. I also want to see pics of the inside and underneath, just for curiosity's sake. I wanna see how the rear is setup in there.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 7:48 AM
Nobody said it couldnt be done.
Hell, its been done quite a bit. Most people would give up the idea once they heard what needed to get done. So good job getting it going.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 9:16 AM
blucavvy wrote:i don't know why everyone gets upset when someone calls their car an ss. who cares seriously.

Everyone needs to whine, bitch or complain about something.

Im going to put SS GT Spyder on my car and post pics just to laugh at everyone.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 9:59 AM
EcoCav[@DesertTuners.com wrote:]
blucavvy wrote:i don't know why everyone gets upset when someone calls their car an ss. who cares seriously.

Everyone needs to whine, bitch or complain about something.

Im going to put SS GT Spyder on my car and post pics just to laugh at everyone.

I am going to join you and put SS on my 89 Honda Accord.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 10:41 AM
most people said it couldnt be done. including some people on here in the past... this is not on an s10 frame, it is just a heavily modified cavalier, hand fabricated %100 by a few guys in a shed, hand tools, a few cheap as hell power tools, and a 30 year old stick welder... lmao no where can we find someone else who has done this online or otherwise, as far as were concerned this is a 1 of a kind build! no video yet, the back end is getting dropped down a lil yet. the interior is bone stock appearing. not sure if there will be any more test drives this year with the cops bothering us about it already... eventually there will be more pics and most likely some videos.
Wednesday, October 12, 2011 11:03 AM
btw, if this dosnt meet the standards to be called a Super Sport (for a cavalier) i dont know what is!
Wednesday, October 12, 2011 11:29 AM
i strongly beg to differ theres a cav that runs brackets at my local track with a very healthy v8 that wheelstands past the 60 foot box and its a heavily renforced cav body... runs 8's all day.... i can almost assure you if it doesnt have a cage its gonna twist the j body osnt mad to have massive tourqe pushing from the rear wheels.
Wednesday, October 12, 2011 11:47 AM
Cool. Its nice you didnt take the cheap way out and just throw it on an s10 frame. I dont know why anyone would say it cant be done. I just think its pointless. For how cheap you can pick up a miata or a 240sx and just throw a v8 in it and how but ugly cavaliers are and blah @!#$ and stuff. Still cool fab work, the fact that it was done with a stick welder kind of scares me though. Wonder how many welds are going to fail on the shad down rides.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Wednesday, October 12, 2011 12:04 PM
Why would the welds fail because of an arc welder? If he knows how to use it they are going to be plenty strong.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 12:17 PM
Being un-shielded. The inside of the weld bead is already rusted. And it has to do with some other complex metal properties that make it more likely to fail from fatigue than a tig weld.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 1:43 PM
I'm sure brad will post up links of online info showing the different V8 j's that have been done. You might not have searched hard enough, but ti has been done.

Maybe the way you did it is the first?? Don't know

But your not the first to stick a V8 in a J.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 2:14 PM
i suggest the following license plate: VeeAte

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 4:45 PM
so..... what happened with the cops in the last pic? lol
Wednesday, October 12, 2011 5:07 PM
Leafy (Club Jeffie FEA man) wrote:Being un-shielded. The inside of the weld bead is already rusted. And it has to do with some other complex metal properties that make it more likely to fail from fatigue than a tig weld.

So why is structural steel sticked in the field? this makes somewhat sense but this just being a vehicle i think he will be alright with the welds if he knows how to weld correctly, and had the right settings and rod.
Wednesday, October 12, 2011 5:14 PM
302killercav wrote:
Leafy (Club Jeffie FEA man) wrote:Being un-shielded. The inside of the weld bead is already rusted. And it has to do with some other complex metal properties that make it more likely to fail from fatigue than a tig weld.

So why is structural steel sticked in the field? this makes somewhat sense but this just being a vehicle i think he will be alright with the welds if he knows how to weld correctly, and had the right settings and rod.

Structural steel normally doesnt see cyclic loads to the levels you would in a car, but it is also why bridges (which see lots of cyclic loading) have a life span and must be replaced regularly.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 8:36 PM
oh yes... its been done LOL.

these are ALL door slammers on ACTUAL j-body's. none of that completely custom all fiberglass/carbon fiber crap. these cars were actually a running and driving street vehicle that came off a gm assembly line. imo... the best way.

here's a gentleman that decided he didnt need a v8, just RWD

and this gentleman decided to go all out

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 9:14 PM
Either way, he did something that took some fabricating skills with @!#$ty tools. lol. I do give the OP credit either way.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 11:35 PM
blucavvy wrote:i don't know why everyone gets upset when someone calls their car an Ass. who cares seriously.

EcoCav[@DesertTuners.com wrote:Everyone needs to whine, bitch or complain about something.

Im going to put ASS GT Spyder on my car and post pics just to laugh at everyone.

Freelancer1988 wrote:I am going to join you and put ASS on my 89 Honda Accord.

Fixed that for all of you...

SS isn't something you earn, its something you buy.... i wouldn't be proud of that name plate on a custom car unless it came with that name plate.

That's like calling a base model 96 - 02 a Z24 because they dropped in a LD9. There's more to it than just the motor;

Now that we've cleared that up...

hey Brad, you should include the pic of the J-body with the Northstar V8 for good measure... i know its FWD but its still a V8...

to the original poster: Good swap, nice work, props for doing something different and succeeding... but its mostly been done before

Thursday, October 13, 2011 6:52 PM
Hmmm, they're all meant for the straight line. No corner carving with them. Besides, it's still a Cavalier and where's the fun in just going straight?

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Thursday, October 13, 2011 10:39 PM
Freelancer1988 wrote:Either way, he did something that took some fabricating skills with @!#$ty tools. lol. I do give the OP credit either way.

What I think.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
~Using nitrous is like having sex with a hot chick with an STD, you wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences.~
Friday, October 14, 2011 5:41 AM
Misnblu wrote:Hmmm, they're all meant for the straight line. No corner carving with them. Besides, it's still a Cavalier and where's the fun in just going straight?

james!!!! lol long time no see budro!

not ALL of them are straight lines, theres a couple in there that are streeters.

Friday, October 14, 2011 7:14 AM
Idk why people need to nitpick. Its cool and 99% of you dont have the ability to do something like this.

Props

Friday, October 14, 2011 8:17 AM
Mike wrote:Idk why people need to nitpick. Its cool and 99% of you dont have the ability to do something like this.

Props

Agreed
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search