96 to 95 engine swap - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
96 to 95 engine swap
Sunday, October 30, 2011 5:57 PM
Newbie here. I have a 1995 automatic 2.2 and am replacing the engine with an engine from a 1996. I noticed that the knock sensors are different and have found the adapter for it but was wondering if anything else needs to be modified or bypassed for the engine to run properly. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Re: 96 to 95 engine swap
Sunday, October 30, 2011 6:23 PM
Corey Martin wrote:Newbie here. I have a 1995 automatic 2.2 and am replacing the engine with an engine from a 1996. I noticed that the knock sensors are different and have found the adapter for it but was wondering if anything else needs to be modified or bypassed for the engine to run properly. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I think other than the knock sensor, they will swap fine. I've done a 96 truck motor into my 95 cav/5 speed. The biggest change was going to OBD 2, but if you re use all the sensors it should be fine.
dennis
Sunday, October 30, 2011 7:26 PM
Thank you for your reply. Engine is in but was just hoping the electrical part of it wouldn't have been an issue.
Monday, October 31, 2011 3:19 PM
yeah those are transition years
Monday, October 31, 2011 6:42 PM
Pretty sure that there are more differences here...

Monday, November 07, 2011 10:21 PM
Nope... That & a cam-sensor, for the Sequential Multi-Point Fuel-injection were about it!

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Friday, November 11, 2011 7:55 AM
I thought the 96 had different plug-in to the ECU? On the 95 it was two big plugs, and on the 96, i thought it was 3 smaller plugs. Then on 97 + it was 4 small plugs. Not 100%. Which ECU are you running the motor with, one from a 96 with the engine harness of a 96?

Monday, January 02, 2012 4:32 PM
Everything worked out. The engine ran great and responded to some very aggressive driving by my friend. The 95 knock sensor and 96 knock sensor plugs are different but both are single wire. Another friend told me to take a 96 single wire and plug and wire it to the 95's wiring. It's really the only mod I had to do. Everything else fit very nicely. Sorry for the very late update. Definitely my fault.
Wednesday, January 11, 2012 12:51 PM
Out of curiosity, it sounds like you just kept the stock 1995 Computer. and re-did the wire for the knock sensor. Is that correct? That is probably/easier the smarter way to go about it.
I just wanted to know because that would confirm that the 1996 engine (with cam sensor) runs fine without the sensor plugged in. I guess I would expect that, but good to confirm it. Plus, you wouldn't want a 1996 ecu, if in the future you intent to do any performance tuning. at least with the 1995 ecu, you can use ODB1 tuning. Only other alternative would go to a 97+ ecu and use hp tuners, but that requires converting the car to OBD2.

Friday, January 13, 2012 3:10 AM
Krupp wrote:Everything worked out. The engine ran great and responded to some very aggressive driving by my friend. The 95 knock sensor and 96 knock sensor plugs are different but both are single wire. Another friend told me to take a 96 single wire and plug and wire it to the 95's wiring. It's really the only mod I had to do. Everything else fit very nicely. Sorry for the very late update. Definitely my fault.

You couldn't just put the 95's knock sensor into the 96 block?

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Friday, January 13, 2012 9:07 AM
VTLoki wrote:Out of curiosity, it sounds like you just kept the stock 1995 Computer. and re-did the wire for the knock sensor. Is that correct? That is probably/easier the smarter way to go about it.
I just wanted to know because that would confirm that the 1996 engine (with cam sensor) runs fine without the sensor plugged in. I guess I would expect that, but good to confirm it. Plus, you wouldn't want a 1996 ecu, if in the future you intent to do any performance tuning. at least with the 1995 ecu, you can use ODB1 tuning. Only other alternative would go to a 97+ ecu and use hp tuners, but that requires converting the car to OBD2.

Yes, I kept the 1995 Computer in and re-did the wire for the Knock sensor so I could use the 1996 Knock sensor. Plus, this Cavalier is a dirt track race car. So any long period of driving, will never happen.

Friday, January 13, 2012 9:17 AM
SHOoff wrote:You couldn't just put the 95's knock sensor into the 96 block?

No, you can not. The sensors are two different sizes. The top sensor is a 1996 (M12 X 1.25 TP) The Bottom sensor is a 1995 (M10 X 1.5 T Tapered Thread)

Friday, January 13, 2012 8:47 PM
Did not know that. Good info!

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Friday, January 13, 2012 9:22 PM
I don't mean to be off topic, but since knock sensors were mentioned, with a heavily modified engine, how much knock is normal for the ECU to register? my data logging seems to show a lot at times, and i've occasionally getting knock retard...? At it's worse, i've seen the counter increase from 0-255 and roll over very quickly. Sometimes as fast as 150-200 counts a second. The gm manual says 30-50 should be observed with the TECH 1 tool, but that's not what i have, and the values aren't comparable since my data logger shows always increasing values... The manual made it should like it should be in a range of 30-50.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search