Possible 2.4 valve spring find - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Possible 2.4 valve spring find
Sunday, December 04, 2011 11:20 AM
It seems to me that Crower Performance valvesprings part number 68190-16 will work with the 2.4 or 2.3. If my info is correct these should fit in 2.4 rotators with 2.3 retainers, be skinny enough to clear 2.4 33mm lifters, accept up to .430 lift at 1.4 install height with .92 coil bind, and at 1.4 install height 111lbs seat pressure.

link 1 link 2

Any one care to verify my numbers?

I see this as a great alternative to the super tech dvs setup because its cheaper, you use stock parts, no need for a custom retainer, and less than $100 for a set. Great for a build with budget in mind such as my w41 Daily Driver project in the works.

Re: Possible 2.4 valve spring find
Sunday, December 04, 2011 11:25 AM
For w41 cams just use stock 2.3 springs with 2.3 retainers.

Sunday, December 04, 2011 11:57 AM
That works but this option eliminates the need to have the 2.4 cam tower bored out for 35mm lifters, just clearanced with a dremel. Also 2.3 lifters are more expensive. For me this build is all about saving money while still doing things that will work properly.

Sunday, December 04, 2011 12:04 PM
Betterr springs that work with stock 2.4 components are always a great find. But if you want to use the bigger 2.3 cams with 2.4 towers youll have to have them bored for the cams anyway. But unless your using the cps or the power steering pump i dont think its necassary to use the ld9 towers. Just use the 2.3 towers and be done.

Sunday, December 04, 2011 12:12 PM
Right now in my Z I am just running 2.3 towers and I miss power steering haha. But yes thats the cheapest way to do it, the 2.3 towers. As far as needing to have them bored for the larger cams that is not necessarily true, My 2.4 towers were clearanced by my machinist for cams up to .450 lift even though I wont be utilizing it and it only cost me $45 to have both towers done. Plus these springs would only be good to .430 anyways unless the install height was changed.

Sunday, December 04, 2011 1:19 PM
intresting. listening for sure.

Sunday, December 04, 2011 1:20 PM
double post fail.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, December 04, 2011 1:21 PM

Sunday, December 04, 2011 5:19 PM
Hmmm...

Sunday, December 04, 2011 7:22 PM
Monday, December 05, 2011 2:13 PM
I am thinking about going this route as well. I have stock replacement HO springs, Ti retainers and the "light weight" 2.3 lifters but with W41's and adjustable cam gears I wasn't too thrilled of the possibly of making power up to the claimed max of HO springs, 7200 rpm IIRC. In addition to some of the talk about replacement springs not matching up to OEM HO springs. When you planning on putting your motor together?

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Monday, December 05, 2011 4:51 PM
My buddies Calais with a stock chip and the 2.3 springs it left the factory with has a revlimit of about 7800. Not sure who decided the springs are only good for 7200 with W41 cams when the factory lets it go to 7800.

Monday, December 05, 2011 5:34 PM
Sealed power HO springs rev up to 7200 ... beyond this, you'll start seeing valve float...

Monday, December 05, 2011 5:37 PM
I am running GM springs. I wonder why the sealed power ones are weaker than factory?? As far as I know all 2.3 valve springs are the same regardless of SOHC, LO, HO, or W41.

Monday, December 05, 2011 5:59 PM
The springs are rated at HO specs but I have read a few people, mostly on Q4F, have issues with non-GM springs under performing, especially at higher RPM. And its not float in all instances, the guy who put together the super tech DVS set up said his guides were worn after just breaking in a rebuilt motor. Thinks the valves were bouncing off the seats, one of his springs tested 60 LBS seat pressure, IIRC. I know thats one example but if those springs work I would trust them a lot more then simple replacement springs.

Monday, December 05, 2011 6:05 PM
Sorry for the double post but by non-GM springs I was referring to Napa, Sealed Power or some other auto parts store branded springs. I think 20% loss in seat pressure after 3500 miles warrants concern. The max lift pressure was measured right at GM spec so valve float shouldn't have been the issue. Again one instance with actual numbers but I would rather be safe then sorry.

Monday, December 05, 2011 7:00 PM
good find man. im quite happy with my supertech setup...but this seems like a much cheaper solution for most. good job !

Monday, December 05, 2011 8:36 PM
scott (section8cav) wrote:good find man. im quite happy with my supertech setup...but this seems like a much cheaper solution for most. good job !

Thanks man! I like the supertech setup I just couldn't justify it for a Daily Driver Frankenmotor build haha.

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 11:13 AM
I just thought I would post up and say that a year and a half later Shawn McKenziehas these up and running in his car.

To work the lip on the top of the rotators needs to be removed(can do at home with dremel or belt sander) and thin shims need to be made for the intake side to prevent digging into the aluminum head.

I never got my set up and running, mainly because the car they were going in has since died. I do still have the whole setup though adn will use it somewhere in the future.

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 2:48 PM
Zs Z wrote:I just thought I would post up and say that a year and a half later Shawn McKenziehas these up and running in his car.

To work the lip on the top of the rotators needs to be removed(can do at home with dremel or belt sander) and thin shims need to be made for the intake side to prevent digging into the aluminum head.

I never got my set up and running, mainly because the car they were going in has since died. I do still have the whole setup though adn will use it somewhere in the future.

Get busy. At some point I am going to need a setup and m liking this one.

FU Tuning

Thursday, May 09, 2013 3:59 AM
You'll like Ron's setup more...That is all I can say at the moment.
.450 lift will be no problem and 100lb springs....

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, May 09, 2013 7:50 AM
Ill be interested to see that setup as well

Thursday, May 09, 2013 3:09 PM
I'm looking for very simple and good price. I don't need to support big lift as I will be secret cams.

FU Tuning

Thursday, May 09, 2013 4:01 PM
The crowers go for $75 plus shipping give or take a few bucks depending where you buy them. You could probably get away with 2.4 retrainers but the springs fit nice and snug into the 2.3 retainers. The cost of shims to put under the intake side is varried and hard to find a correct size. you can take the lip off the rotators on your own. So all and all its a cheap setup.

Re: Possible 2.4 valve spring
Thursday, June 13, 2013 5:40 PM
I thought the rotator was on the intake side and the stationary cup was on the exaust side. My understanding was the lip need ground down on the intake rotator and u eliminate the spring cup on the exaust side and just put a 015 or 030 shim in place and set the spring on it . My only concern was there's nothing from keeping it from moving side to side the I'd of the crower springs are .780 I'd and neither seat cups from 2.4 or 2.3 will fit due to the od of the cup being to big to fit inside of the spring. I'm in the process of doing this just seeing what a few other people think about this Shawn mchenesah setup I hear its working good for him what do u guys think?
Re: Possible 2.4 valve spring
Thursday, June 13, 2013 5:59 PM
Thanks again Shawn for your help in this.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search