03cavy build - Page 2 - Performance Forum

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.
Re: 03cavy build
Monday, December 12, 2011 3:53 PM
miles gillings wrote:Ok smart guy,

All I want to achieve is around 25+ more TQ at around 1500-3000 rpm, I am not looking to make more HP because I CAN'T USE IT ON THE FRANKING CANADA ROADS.

You're not going to gain even close to that amount of torque with simple bolt ons, it doesn't work that way. You don't need a 3" exhaust, it's way overkill for n/a motors, and even mild boosted setups...there's guys running in the 300hp range and successfully doing so with 2.5" systems. Like Tinkles said, the theory of throwing on the biggest possible to exhaust to rid yourself of back pressure is wrong. Velocity of the air is far more important. If you want a good sounding exhaust, then you're going to want a resonator. Some restriction is good. I'm pushing a blower with a Pacesetter LSJ header, factory Mustang cat, resonator, all with 2.5" SS pipe, and I have no problems and a nice toned exhaust note.

Maybe before asking a bunch of different question pointed in all the wrong directions, start READING on your own and actually learn how your motor works, and how different modifications affect it. There is a search feature on this site that I highly suggest using, because at this point you're just making yourself sound like an ass. We don't take well to people who come on here asking for help and advice, then completely ignore all advice given to them and try to prove that your original point was right anyway.

No amount of bolt ons, whether it be exhaust, intake, etc...is not going to yield you a big jump in torque or hp just by slapping them on the car. You WILL need tuning. You will also need other supporting mods, it's not as simple as you obviously think. If you want to bring extra air into the motor, then you ALSO need to bring extra fuel, meaning larger fuel injectors. Our stock injectors are pretty much maxed out from factory. You'll need a means of tuning, whether it be HPT or a shop dyno...you will also need a quality wideband o2 system so whoever is tuning can monitor your air/fuel ratio (and when I say quality I mean you're going to have to spend around $200 on a AEM or Innovate unit, not some cheap Glowshift ebay crap).

If you want low end increase, you're going to want a 4-2-1 header, and unfortunately for you, there aren't alot of good quality options for our motor. Tsudo is about the best option, but almost always needs to have the flanges planed for proper sealing. If you want a good performing exhaust, be prepared to go to an exhaust shop and pay them to build you an exhaust system. While there are decent out of the box cat back systems out there, none will compare to a custom fit system built on the car.

Your "functional ram air" theory is going to be a waste of time and money for you...once again, like I said before, your n/a motor is only going to bring in "x" amount of air, regardless of how much air you push at it. With n/a, your motor is pretty much just pulling in the amount of air it can while the valves are open...you can increase the amount of air present in front of them, but the valves will still only take in the same of amount of air (this is where boost differs since you are compressing air and then forcing it past the valves)...if you truly want to bring considerably more air into a n/a motor, then you need higher lift/duration cams and supporting valve train, as well as the proper fuel mods to support.

If you so worried about not pushing a 188km motor to hard, then I'd suggest just leaving alone. Simple solution.

Monday, December 12, 2011 3:54 PM
I can't use HP because if I get caught using it Im FRANKED. I want low end tourque. so that I can scoot to 50-60 KMH as quick as a bunny. the only way to get to 50-60kmh quickly is using high rpms and long shifts.

HP is for the highways which 150 HP is plenty.

So sory if I sound like a "ricer" but all I am is inexperienced looking for information, So what I have an attitude. SO do alot of people including you.
Monday, December 12, 2011 4:00 PM
EVILution (KGM Godfather) wrote:
miles gillings wrote:Ok smart guy,

All I want to achieve is around 25+ more TQ at around 1500-3000 rpm, I am not looking to make more HP because I CAN'T USE IT ON THE FRANKING CANADA ROADS.

You're not going to gain even close to that amount of torque with simple bolt ons, it doesn't work that way. You don't need a 3" exhaust, it's way overkill for n/a motors, and even mild boosted setups...there's guys running in the 300hp range and successfully doing so with 2.5" systems. Like Tinkles said, the theory of throwing on the biggest possible to exhaust to rid yourself of back pressure is wrong. Velocity of the air is far more important. If you want a good sounding exhaust, then you're going to want a resonator. Some restriction is good. I'm pushing a blower with a Pacesetter LSJ header, factory Mustang cat, resonator, all with 2.5" SS pipe, and I have no problems and a nice toned exhaust note.

Maybe before asking a bunch of different question pointed in all the wrong directions, start READING on your own and actually learn how your motor works, and how different modifications affect it. There is a search feature on this site that I highly suggest using, because at this point you're just making yourself sound like an ass. We don't take well to people who come on here asking for help and advice, then completely ignore all advice given to them and try to prove that your original point was right anyway.

No amount of bolt ons, whether it be exhaust, intake, etc...is not going to yield you a big jump in torque or hp just by slapping them on the car. You WILL need tuning. You will also need other supporting mods, it's not as simple as you obviously think. If you want to bring extra air into the motor, then you ALSO need to bring extra fuel, meaning larger fuel injectors. Our stock injectors are pretty much maxed out from factory. You'll need a means of tuning, whether it be HPT or a shop dyno...you will also need a quality wideband o2 system so whoever is tuning can monitor your air/fuel ratio (and when I say quality I mean you're going to have to spend around $200 on a AEM or Innovate unit, not some cheap Glowshift ebay crap).

If you want low end increase, you're going to want a 4-2-1 header, and unfortunately for you, there aren't alot of good quality options for our motor. Tsudo is about the best option, but almost always needs to have the flanges planed for proper sealing. If you want a good performing exhaust, be prepared to go to an exhaust shop and pay them to build you an exhaust system. While there are decent out of the box cat back systems out there, none will compare to a custom fit system built on the car.

Your "functional ram air" theory is going to be a waste of time and money for you...once again, like I said before, your n/a motor is only going to bring in "x" amount of air, regardless of how much air you push at it. With n/a, your motor is pretty much just pulling in the amount of air it can while the valves are open...you can increase the amount of air present in front of them, but the valves will still only take in the same of amount of air (this is where boost differs since you are compressing air and then forcing it past the valves)...if you truly want to bring considerably more air into a n/a motor, then you need higher lift/duration cams and supporting valve train, as well as the proper fuel mods to support.

If you so worried about not pushing a 188km motor to hard, then I'd suggest just leaving alone. Simple solution.

AWESOME, That is honestly a great write up, SO all the talking I did got me somewhere, and I have you to thank.
Im sorry I seemed like an ass, But I just started this scene. I did do a bunch of reading but I am new and this 4 paragraphs of information was easiest to understand. Thank you so much.

Id hug you and kiss you but most men don't like that, it's just a nice gesture most men would think the other is gay. Well Im not. thank you man!
Monday, December 12, 2011 5:30 PM
Word of advice, don't burn your bridges on this forum if you keep looking for help.
I am knowledgeable, but act like I child, and I will not give one word of advice.

Quick as a bunny isn't a word applied to a jbody, unless you are boosted I'd say. I'd be catching up on maintenance and worrying about keeping the car running with that many miles, not dumping money into a car that could crap out. Fuel pumps are famous to die unexpectedly on the 03 models.

Monday, December 12, 2011 6:03 PM
hey babe ( slocav ) Thats some hot advice.

This cavalier has next to zero rust ( a tad on the fender ) It was owned by chevrolet dealership ( they used it for driving around so you know all maintanence has been done )

The guy I bought it from had it for 2 years after they had it ( he has all the records for the last 7 months of maintanence done ) ( which is new struts bushing breaks timing chain rust guard whindshield wipers fluids air filter oil filter tires )

Now the guy I bought it from had a fully rebuilt 1967 oldsmobile pace car, a built 25th anniversary edition camaro built for the track that he gets low 12's in and a 2010 camaro, He also has taken very good care of all his cars.

This car he sold me is in the same shape as all his others ( well taken care of ), It's just a cavalier which is almost pointless to build up without a supercharger or turbo anyway, And even with those things it's still an economy car.

So all in all, I just wanted to know how to build up HP AND TQ the right way within building with what I WANT.

Which is NOT super charger or turbo charger, I aint rich. And I just like talking cars .
Monday, December 12, 2011 6:30 PM
miles gillings wrote:hey babe ( slocav ) Thats some hot advice.

This cavalier has next to zero rust ( a tad on the fender ) It was owned by chevrolet dealership ( they used it for driving around so you know all maintanence has been done )

The guy I bought it from had it for 2 years after they had it ( he has all the records for the last 7 months of maintanence done ) ( which is new struts bushing breaks timing chain rust guard whindshield wipers fluids air filter oil filter tires )

Now the guy I bought it from had a fully rebuilt 1967 oldsmobile pace car, a built 25th anniversary edition camaro built for the track that he gets low 12's in and a 2010 camaro, He also has taken very good care of all his cars.

This car he sold me is in the same shape as all his others ( well taken care of ), It's just a cavalier which is almost pointless to build up without a supercharger or turbo anyway, And even with those things it's still an economy car.

So all in all, I just wanted to know how to build up HP AND TQ the right way within building with what I WANT.

Which is NOT super charger or turbo charger, I aint rich. And I just like talking cars .

I just said it before, but it obviously it didn't sink in....You WILL NOT make any significant gain in hp OR tq with simple bolt ons.

And what's the concern of getting caught with that sort of hp?? It's simple, keep your right foot light on the peddle, and you won't have anything to worry about it. I'm pushing somewhere in the 220-230hp range, and not once have I had any attention from the cops, nor am I concerned about it. Know why? Just because I have that additional power doesn't mean I need to use it out on the streets.
And I hate to break it to you, but you can't add JUST torque. You increase torque, horsepower will rise as well. And why do you think you even need extra torque when you're not building this for performance, you just want a little extra "pep" getting up to highway speed. A bone stock cavalier can get up to highway speeds plenty quick, and if it can't there is either a problem with the car or with the driver. I drove mine stock for years and never had a problem gaining speed...if you need something considerably quicker pulling highway speed, then maybe you need to shop for something that isn't a cavalier.

Sounds to me like you need to do some more serious reading before you even touch the car because as of now you're in over your head.

And for the love of god stop posting the same thread over and over again in the same and multiple forums. Making two identical threads about a WRX hood, on top of your attitude, aren't going to help you make friends around here. Like Slo Cav said, there are A LOT of knowledgeable people here, so don't burn your bridges by acting like an ass. I see you unfortunately drifted over and contaminated ecotecforum as well...same goes, lots of knowledgeable people there, but don't expect any help if you go throwing your attitude around there.

Monday, December 12, 2011 6:52 PM
You WILL NOT make significant numbers with bolt-ons.
LISTEN TO US. QUIT trying to fight, the truth, and acting like you know what you are talking about.
I'm not rich at all, but I have a turbo setup, and am building the motor for a larger setup. It's called save, and save more.

You will not get help this way. Would you give help to someone who was a complete asshat?

Monday, December 12, 2011 6:56 PM
Wow, Anywhere I go, I get chewed up in this world. I can't be myself anywhere, I just have to do as I am told or else I get punished.

All I ever did was post my thoughts on this forums about the cavalier I bought. I really don't need someone to give me a talking to.

I appreciated your reply evilituion and I took your advice.

Am I suposed to be like everyone else?
Monday, December 12, 2011 7:03 PM
HOW the FRANK am I suposed to KNOW any better when I WAS TOUGHT TO BE THIS WAY. @!#$!

JUST SHUN AWAY ANYBODY WITH PROBLEMS RIGHT?????

I am LEARNING FROM YOUR GUYS ADVICE TRUST ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOUR NOT DUMB NOR AM I CALLING YOU DUMB OR INEXPERIENCED. I WANT TO BE ON THIS SITE.

I AM SIMPLY PUTTING OUT ALL THE QUESTIONS AND THEORIES I HAVE THOUGHT AND PUTTING THEM ON THE INTERNET.

You guys are helping me, Please try to refrain from your advice talk about who I am and just answer my questions.

There is a reason no one likes me. And the people who do are just as messed As I am. Don't shun away a different species. Learn from it.
Monday, December 12, 2011 7:09 PM
Just tell me how to delete a post and I will be out of the WORRIES of your guys hair.

Thanks for the car advice.
Monday, December 12, 2011 8:13 PM
inbeforethelock
that was an interesting read lol

Monday, December 12, 2011 9:22 PM
miles gillings wrote:Just tell me how to delete a post and I will be out of the WORRIES of your guys hair.

Thanks for the car advice.

You can only delete a post if you are premium. If you need any questions answered, then if I am around, I will answer them to the best of my knowledge.

Monday, December 12, 2011 10:32 PM
no you can only EDIT a post.. you can only delete if you are a moderator. loving these threads

Monday, December 12, 2011 10:41 PM
why even ask questions if all your going to do is throw the answers out the window? i think collecting stamps will be better for the OP in the long run.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 1:06 AM
azncav wrote:i think collecting stamps will be better for the OP in the long run.

Probably the smartest thing that can be done at this point!

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 4:31 AM
well if you were taught to be this way you have some awful parents and i would slap them across the face for raising a dumb fuk like you im sorry if that sounds harsh but it is true.
Tuesday, December 13, 2011 5:40 AM
I love these threads

Ecotecforum on FaceBook
Tuesday, December 13, 2011 7:21 AM
If you want more power from 1000-3000rpm buy a diesel....there is a reason engines run to 6000rpm.

You can't use HP on Canadian roads? I guess I better go ahead and de-mod my @!#$ then......I wish someone told me this info sooner.

Good grief your an idiot/whinny bitch....."no one likes on this forum...blah blah blah".

If I see another post from you about wanting a WRX hood, I'm going to lose my @!#$...seriously....

I've been here since 02', can I apply to be a mod yet?? LOL

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 4:08 PM
newt wrote:If you want more power from 1000-3000rpm buy a diesel....there is a reason engines run to 6000rpm.

You can't use HP on Canadian roads? I guess I better go ahead and de-mod my @!#$ then......I wish someone told me this info sooner.

Good grief your an idiot/whinny bitch....."no one likes on this forum...blah blah blah".

If I see another post from you about wanting a WRX hood, I'm going to lose my @!#$...seriously....

I've been here since 02', can I apply to be a mod yet?? LOL

Newt, you should get rid of your car quick!! The Canadian horsepower police are going to come find you!! Hahaha!

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 8:05 PM
i think the point has been made here...

the o.p wants an all motor build... but doesn't get that for the most part all motor is WAY MORE EXPENSIVE than any boosted build... (for way less WHP)... (and this comes from an all motor guy)

the o.p. is new to cars and has a new to car mentality... we've seen it before, we'll see it again... some people think they know, when they really don't... like everyone else, he'll learn... and the major thing here is what he wants (and how he wants to build) vs what he wants to achieve do not, and will never correlate... something will have to give ... basic bolt ons and next to no gains, or a real deal build, with some power, and learn how to drive on the streets where he won't get in trouble for having stupid power...

lets lock this thread up before it goes farther than it already has...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, December 13, 2011 8:06 PM

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.

Start New Topic Advanced Search