Pacesetter Headers install and exhaust - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Pacesetter Headers install and exhaust
Tuesday, February 14, 2012 5:22 PM
Bought a 4-1 header from Pacesetter off of ebay, came in fine, although the instructions say I have to cute the inlet pipe off of the cat converter AND weld. :/ I thought it would be a direct replacement? I should have looked at my exhaust manifold to begin with.. Anyways, how difficult was this install? I tried looking around for the same thread topic, but nothing exact. Also, how are these headers? They are just the painted ones, not the coated, on a 2005 Sunfire btw.. And has anyone bought and installed the pacesetter exhaust system too? I also purchased that and want to know about previous installs or knowledge on them.. Thanks to responses

Re: Pacesetter Headers install and exhaust
Tuesday, February 14, 2012 5:29 PM
try the search button for info about the header. the painted ones have a bad rep here, should have got the ceramic one. look up pacesetter header you will find info.
jason

I am looking for struts for my newly aquired Eibach pro-kit performance coils, If anybody has some?
Tuesday, February 14, 2012 5:33 PM
yeah im about to buy the armor coated LSJ pacesetter header, but it sucks i have to get a custom dp since its for a cobalt (bigger primaries). cheapest Ive found is about $280 for the header alone..

interested in hearing yours once you get it installed, mine should be done within 2wks or so if i order it soon

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Tuesday, February 14, 2012 5:36 PM
Im going to install this as soon as the weather gets warmer, my garage will never get warm haha. Along with the pacesetter exhaust. Im worried about rust, leaking, and a pain in the ass for installing.
Tuesday, February 14, 2012 6:02 PM
pyromechanic wrote:Bought a 4-1 header from Pacesetter off of ebay, came in fine, although the instructions say I have to cute the inlet pipe off of the cat converter AND weld. :/ I thought it would be a direct replacement? I should have looked at my exhaust manifold to begin with.. Anyways, how difficult was this install? I tried looking around for the same thread topic, but nothing exact. Also, how are these headers? They are just the painted ones, not the coated, on a 2005 Sunfire btw.. And has anyone bought and installed the pacesetter exhaust system too? I also purchased that and want to know about previous installs or knowledge on them.. Thanks to responses

Why did you buy it off eBay? We carry them, and all you have to do is PM us if eBay is higher and we can work it out... Support vendors on this site, we are one of the main reasons why support is even here.

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Tuesday, February 14, 2012 6:31 PM
Turbo Tech Racing wrote:
pyromechanic wrote:Bought a 4-1 header from Pacesetter off of ebay, came in fine, although the instructions say I have to cute the inlet pipe off of the cat converter AND weld. :/ I thought it would be a direct replacement? I should have looked at my exhaust manifold to begin with.. Anyways, how difficult was this install? I tried looking around for the same thread topic, but nothing exact. Also, how are these headers? They are just the painted ones, not the coated, on a 2005 Sunfire btw.. And has anyone bought and installed the pacesetter exhaust system too? I also purchased that and want to know about previous installs or knowledge on them.. Thanks to responses

Why did you buy it off eBay? We carry them, and all you have to do is PM us if eBay is higher and we can work it out... Support vendors on this site, we are one of the main reasons why support is even here.

Definitely buy from TTR! Got my Pacesetter from them, best price around, and had it at my door 2 days later.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 6:50 PM
TTR FTW!!!! Aaron is a cool dude.
Tuesday, February 14, 2012 6:51 PM
Lol next time I will. I am still trying to hear from someone with this mod installed, to tell me all about it. :O
Tuesday, February 14, 2012 7:08 PM
Does the Pacesetter from TTR include the O2 bung/sensor connector on the header, or does one have to be fabbed up on it? Also, since its for Cobalt/Ion, it is garunteed to be the larger 1.75" primaries right? again, these websites dont list any actual details about the product that people actually need like dimensions and specs. But $260 does seem to be the cheapest so far, before shipping...and Id like to support our vendors

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 7:41 PM
price on the header from ttr???

DOPER.
Tuesday, February 14, 2012 8:16 PM
I mentioned it above, $259.99 before shipping..

http://www.turbotechracing.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=4820

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 10:24 PM
Yes the o2 bung is part of the header. If you're running a wideband, I'd suggest having that put in the down pipe. If you get the LSJ version, it will be the larger primaries. You will get the header, a short section of flanged pipe (to build the DP from) and nuts/bolts for dp flange.

And I'm probably going to be the person here to say don't waste your money on the armor coated version. I got the painted one, removed the paint, and coated it myself with a $10 can of VHT flame proof ceramic coating. If prepped and applied properly, it will last. My header still looks brand new. Or even better, have a powdercoated apply some Jet-hot to the header, shouldn't cost much more than the additional cost of the armor coated version, and will be significantly more effective and long lasting.

To the OP, the pacesetter header is longer than ours, so no, it will not mate to the factory downpipe....which in all reality shouldn't matter because if you are trying to gain any benefit from a header, you should be ditching the stock exhaust and have a new system put on. At a minimum, I would take it to a local exhaust shop and have them fab a new down pipe for you.

When I did mine, I installed the header, removed the rest of the exhaust, and dropped it off that way at my shop and let them fab everything from the header back. All I gave them was the muffler, they supplied the best.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 10:40 PM
i agree with the above statements. Take it to an exhaust shop and have them fab up a downpipe for you...

i also agree with supporting site vendors... the ONLY thing i will buy on ebay is stock stuff, or JDM toyota stock stuff (and even all that is limited as i have an employee discount at my GM Dealer where i can get stock stuff new)

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:34 PM
EVILution (KGM Godfather) wrote:When I did mine, I installed the header, removed the rest of the exhaust, and dropped it off that way at my shop and let them fab everything from the header back. All I gave them was the muffler, they supplied the best.

god I bet that sucker was annoying and loud...all the shops from my house are on the south side..the cheaper shops. So ill have to drive 25-30miles with open header >:o

as for the O2 sensor, you said the location for the wideband should be on the dp? So there will be 3 total right? 1 on the header for pre-cat readings, 1 on the dp for wideband, 1 just after the cat for the post-cat readings...is that correct?

wheres the best place to get the header bolts? TTR doesnt seem to include them. but they do include the header gasket i believe so i should be good there.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:23 PM
blu04DD wrote:as for the O2 sensor, you said the location for the wideband should be on the dp? So there will be 3 total right? 1 on the header for pre-cat readings, 1 on the dp for wideband, 1 just after the cat for the post-cat readings...is that correct?

Correct.

Quote:

wheres the best place to get the header bolts? TTR doesnt seem to include them. but they do include the header gasket i believe so i should be good there.

if you mean header to dp bolts, they are included with the header. If you mean header to head bolts, most people just reuse the stock studs and nuts. I chose to replace mine stainless hardware. They're just m8x1.25 studs and nuts (unsure of length without looking). I would recommend just getting new hardware, as the stock studs are usually pretty nasty or seized from heat cycling if they've been in there a while. Think it cost me less than $10 at my local hardware store.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 11:01 PM
yeah header to head.
okay thanks, ill look for some of those at Lowes or Home Depot.
now to just order the header...and wait.

btw, did the shop you went to actually hook up your O2 sensors for you? and the one for the wideband, did they plug it until you got home and you hooked it up later, or since you had your wb installed they plugged it in too? just curious, because my boost setup wont be until a few weeks after i get the xhaust, so ill need the wb one plugged (i have the gauge/sensor, just not installed).

Thursday, February 16, 2012 1:19 AM
Yes, they reinstalled the stock o2 sensors during assembly. Probably standard to do so, as the car will run like s$!t without the primary o2. I had them throw a plug in the wideband bung and installed it later (I only had the gauge wiring in the car at that point, and not the sensor).
Oh, and expect to get a dummy light after install, when you start increasing the pipe diameter and the air velocity, the rear o2 is gonna throw a "low catalyst efficiency" code. Won't effect the car's performance, just throws a dummy light. This can be turned off via HP Tuners, and to my knowledge, doing so should not effect the sensor's readiness state for emissions testing purposes.

Friday, February 17, 2012 5:23 PM
Do you guys think it would be appropriate if i used the clamp supplied with the header to clamp the extension to the cat's inlet pipe and nott weld? I really dont want to have to pay a shop to weld it..
Friday, February 17, 2012 5:42 PM
to be honest, once i get my exhaust how i like it, its ALL going to be welded most likely. Thats how i did it on my Camaros. But Im sure they are fine bolted too, just added security with all that movement, heat, and pressure. once its how you want it, youll never need to remove it again

Saturday, February 18, 2012 10:48 AM
Okay thanks for the response. and did anyone find it difficult to install these pacesetter headers?
Saturday, February 18, 2012 11:19 AM
I heard it wasnt too bad compared to other headers, but Im curious myself. It should be here shortly (prob this weekend or Monday at the latest). Then Ive got to shop around for the best price to get the rest of the exhaust done (using my brand new existing Borla muffler)

Saturday, February 18, 2012 1:19 PM
pyromechanic wrote:Okay thanks for the response. and did anyone find it difficult to install these pacesetter headers?

The L61 version pops right in effortlessly. The LSJ version isn't bad, but since it's just a bit larger, it takes a little patience to maneuver it around the AC lines, heater core hoses, etc without scratching everything to sh!t. There's also a stud in one corner (top driver side if memory serves me) that you can't get the nut on, because the stud is to close to the primary (LSJ version only). I haven't had any leaking problems as a result, not has anyone else I know running it. I was thinking of trying a socket head bolt when i reinstall everything and see if that has enough clearance.

Saturday, February 18, 2012 6:23 PM
Just installed the headers and the Pacesetter exhaust system. sounds not bad although i wish i could hear more putt-putt. Haha
Saturday, February 18, 2012 7:49 PM
you have more than one header?
I can either install the header myself and drive it 40miles to the south side shop that will do my exhaust work, or pay them an extra $80 and they'll do it for me along witht he rest of the work.

btw, get an audio clip (not from your phone because it'll be flamed fast!)...im curious to hear the pacesetter header...what did the rest of your exhaust comprise of?

Sunday, February 19, 2012 1:32 AM
Whenever I get the chance Ill get an audio clip.. My exhaust it just the Pacesetter headers with the downpipe they provided me, the stock converter, and the Pacesetter cat-back exhaust.. Haha I need to get a new car cause it only the same diameter as the stock exhaust, which is now what is limiting the entire exhaust (no longer the stock manifold). Btw, a AEM CAI is installed too.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search