WHAT ENGINE MODS CAN I DO TO 97 CAVALIER - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
WHAT ENGINE MODS CAN I DO TO 97 CAVALIER
Saturday, January 14, 2012 8:49 AM
im looking for someone who really knows the 2.2 cavalier motor. im building a race car for the track only

Re: WHAT ENGINE MODS CAN I DO TO 97 CAVALIER
Saturday, January 14, 2012 9:05 AM
put a ecotec in it...

1999 - Cavalier - 5speed - Exhaust - 17" rims - carbon fiber hood - the beater
Saturday, January 14, 2012 9:10 AM
FIRST OFF YOU CAN STOP YELLING AT IT!!!!!! lol

for a 97, id swap an LD9 in.

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Saturday, January 14, 2012 11:26 AM
STEVE KATZ wrote:im looking for someone who really knows the 2.2 cavalier motor. im building a race car for the track only

what are the rules for your class?
dennis
Saturday, January 14, 2012 12:27 PM
were suppose to run stock but no one does so any mods have to be internal and not noticeable
Saturday, January 14, 2012 1:14 PM
just hide NOS somewhere FTW, haha

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Saturday, January 14, 2012 2:06 PM
Search under the headings of "LN2", "OHV", "2.2L", "Vortec" & "2200". Read everything posted by the likes of MadJack, OHVNotec, slowolej & Bob Guptil... Especially Bob Guptil. If the findings & postings of these gentlemen can't help you, you're in the wrong hobby.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Saturday, January 14, 2012 5:38 PM
I am his son. We race on a clay track. And I have a 97 I'm building as well. Basically the rules are 2 valves per cyclinder and OHV. That makes ecotech out of the question. So any suggestions would be beautifully helpful .

One question, we run manual transmission. How can we go about locking up the diff? Or would you not suggest that?
Saturday, January 14, 2012 5:51 PM
Well, you can just weld up the diff if you want to lock it up for good. Or use a Lsd insert. While in there, replace the crappy spider gears with stronger ones from an early 90s isuzu transmission. Like Geo metro.
Also run some larger rocker rollers, and port the head if you have time, and ability.

Saturday, January 14, 2012 6:14 PM
If you think the torque-steer is bad now... just weld-up those spiders & see how bad it gets. It'll be like those chariot horses in "Spartacus" before the advisement.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Sunday, January 15, 2012 4:19 AM
Nickelin Dimer wrote:If you think the torque-steer is bad now... just weld-up those spiders & see how bad it gets. It'll be like those chariot horses in "Spartacus" before the advisement.

lol, yah. I should elaborate that I don't recommend that route. Even thought I mentioned it. haha.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 12:46 PM
You could put some Rocker rollers on it. The Comp Cam ones with the roller tip look kinda like stock, but are suppose to give the car 10-30 HP. Better than an intake, that's for sure.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 4:37 PM
VTLoki wrote:You could put some Rocker rollers on it. The Comp Cam ones with the roller tip look kinda like stock, but are suppose to give the car 10-30 HP. Better than an intake, that's for sure.

You mean the stamped-steel ones? I dig ya... I've considered those as an "easy bolt-on" mod for my '94 too! But as for the gain seen (10-30hp), are you quoting the "spot" for them on that? If so, I think they meant "When used in their 'intended' application". Otherwise, the gain is just one varying percentage, relatively.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Tuesday, January 31, 2012 5:51 PM
User Chemical wrote:put a ecotec in it...
Why?

Wednesday, February 01, 2012 11:46 AM
Nickelin Dimer wrote:
VTLoki wrote:You could put some Rocker rollers on it. The Comp Cam ones with the roller tip look kinda like stock, but are suppose to give the car 10-30 HP. Better than an intake, that's for sure.

You mean the stamped-steel ones? I dig ya... I've considered those as an "easy bolt-on" mod for my '94 too! But as for the gain seen (10-30hp), are you quoting the "spot" for them on that? If so, I think they meant "When used in their 'intended' application". Otherwise, the gain is just one varying percentage, relatively.

I'm not sure the numbers are accurate, but the range seems right. I think I read it from a long thread on the s10 forum, which was a write up on using these comp cam rockers, with the roller tip, but not the full bearing fulcrum(gold ones).
these ones:

Side view:

Thursday, February 02, 2012 8:55 AM
Yep! Those the babies! Now, make a link to that thread & we have something.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Thursday, February 02, 2012 6:07 PM
i put those in my 93... saw no gain, and the valve train was very noisy. For the life of me i could not get the lash set right...

Saturday, February 04, 2012 6:53 AM
WHAT DID THE ROCKERS COME OFF OF IS THERE A PART NUMBER
Saturday, February 04, 2012 9:35 AM
i had those rockers in my 96 ohv, LOVED that mod. They were comp cam 1.6 roller rockers that used 3.1 v6 pivot studs iirc. They were from Mantapart back in the day. Gave me a nice midrange increase.
Wednesday, March 14, 2012 7:08 PM
THERE WAS A POSTING OF HOW TO ADJUST THESE ROCKERS DOES ANYONE HAVE THE LINK
Tuesday, April 03, 2012 1:11 PM
I have a header I'd sell y'all if you want it for the 2.2

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search