Best spark plugs for a 97 2.2l? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Best spark plugs for a 97 2.2l?
Wednesday, April 11, 2012 11:01 PM
hi, I have a 2.2 ohv engine I have some mods done no turbo but headers/heat wrapped, crank pulley,ram air cold intake custom system,nology hotwires spark plug wires, stock coil packs? should I get performance coils? APEXI ground system grounded to engine. So what plugs at the heart of the ignition are the best to get for my engine? ngk's or what. iridium patnium?

Re: Best spark plugs for a 97 2.2l?
Thursday, April 12, 2012 4:28 AM
Ngks are junk.... Complete junk... and belong in Hondas

AC Delco Platnium RapidFire / AC Delco Platinum are the best plugs for a GM Vehicle...

The GM Ignition is pretty strong on it's own... I don't see a need for you to spend the money on MSD, for the almost negligible gain... Now if you had a P&P head + cams + High Comp Pistons + Bigger injectors --- Then you may want to step up your ignition, but with an internally stock motor with a header (no "s"), intake, lightweight (possibly underdrive) crank pully, and bigger wires, you may only see a few hp out an MSD Setup, and you're probably barely above 100 WHP at that point.

Thursday, April 12, 2012 9:58 AM
What ever the factory plugs are, probably platinum. I thought ngk were stock but maybe it's ac delco?
Only benefit of iradium is they will last longer. No huge performance gains like the package says. Most boosted guys will actually run Copper plugs, downside is they need to be changed more often.

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires
2005 Mazda 3 GS Auto- Wifes car
2006 Cobalt SS/SC - Intake, 2.5" Exhaust, GMPP Brakes, Solid Mounts, Ported S/C - Sold
1991 GMC Sierra - Lifted on 38.5" Swampers, Too much to list off. For Sale
Thursday, April 12, 2012 10:08 AM
No jbody ever came stock with ngks or irridium plugs.

Thursday, April 12, 2012 1:30 PM
NGK is the company that makes all AC Delco plugs now. They have been for years actually. All I can say is don't buy bosch plugs, they're complete crap.

Thursday, April 12, 2012 4:18 PM
colt45 wrote:NGK is the company that makes all AC Delco plugs now. They have been for years actually. All I can say is don't buy bosch plugs, they're complete crap.
either way, when all J-body Engines were being designed by GM Engineers, they, with AC Delco, developed our Ignition systems. Regardless of who makes the plug, the plug specs are still the same.

And yeah, Bosch plugs are garbage...

Thursday, April 12, 2012 5:35 PM
the new Delco's are the NGK rejects and only work in the DOHC LD9. for the LN2, I have found the NGK G-Power or the Iridiums have been working the best. currently running the Iridiums myself.

I need a new sig.
Thursday, April 12, 2012 5:49 PM
can anyone post proof that not only NGK took over delco's plug manufacturing, but also that NGK redesigned delco's plugs, moreover redesigned the part numbers??

Friday, April 13, 2012 12:39 AM
colt45 wrote:NGK is the company that makes all AC Delco plugs now. They have been for years actually. All I can say is don't buy bosch plugs, they're complete crap.

This. Minus the part about Bosch. I've run Bosch plugs in everything I've owned and never had any issue whatsoever.

Honestly, any brand plug will do the same thing. As long as it's gapped properly and the correct heat range is used. Spark plugs really aren't rocket science. Arguing about which one is better is like arguing which oil is best to use. They all do the same thing.

Friday, April 13, 2012 4:21 AM

I think NGK only makes the Iridium plugs. I think Delphi still makes Platinum plugs in house. But yeah, Delphi has been farming out the manufacture of parts for a long time. ACDelco filters are made by Champion.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Friday, April 13, 2012 4:32 AM
SHOoff wrote:

I think NGK only makes the Iridium plugs. I think Delphi still makes Platinum plugs in house. But yeah, Delphi has been farming out the manufacture of parts for a long time. ACDelco filters are made by Champion.
that would make sense... and i still stand behind my statement that on a stock ignition system, Platinum plugs are the way to go

Friday, April 13, 2012 8:18 AM
I've been running ngk platinum in my ld9, no issues ever. I've heard nothing but bad things about Bosch, even on other cars I've owned, so I've always stayed away from them. I've used ngk on most of my cars and never had a problem.

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires
2005 Mazda 3 GS Auto- Wifes car
2006 Cobalt SS/SC - Intake, 2.5" Exhaust, GMPP Brakes, Solid Mounts, Ported S/C - Sold
1991 GMC Sierra - Lifted on 38.5" Swampers, Too much to list off. For Sale
Friday, April 13, 2012 9:20 AM
Those pulse plugs are proven to give you like 2 HP, lol
Friday, April 13, 2012 10:33 AM
I had a set of bosch platinum plus burn up on me in a month. Car would barely run with them, changed them out for some NGK platinum's and have had no problems since

Friday, April 13, 2012 10:34 AM
SHOoff wrote:

I'm not so sure about that anymore. AC Delco a year or two ago released a huge statement saying that they were starting to manufacture original AC Delco Filters opposed to the Champion E-Core ones. (SOURCE) You can tell the difference clearly, walk into any auto-store, even walmart and look at the part numbers for the Delco Filters. If it has an "E" at the end, it's made by champion, if it doesn't it's a genuine Delco filter.

I'd suppose we could be facing the same thing here. The Delco plugs I get from Autozone are Trademarked for the year 1995, and certainly look like Delcos, not NGKs. As for the Iridiums, I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised that they're outsourcing it. Although I'd like to see some proof.

Friday, April 13, 2012 11:19 AM
the biggest issue with plugs for the ohv other than the delco 41-928 (pretty sure that's the number) is that the reach is too short. compare a delco with any other plug, and you'll see that the non delco units are a good 1/4 inch shorter which pulls the spark gap WAY out of place in the combustion chamber.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Monday, April 16, 2012 10:25 PM
Ended up getting some ngk iridiums IX ones they were like 7.00 a piece and pregapped .60 so I should be good for awhile guess iridium ones last longer.
Monday, April 16, 2012 11:01 PM
you guess... LOL iridium and platinum plugs last the same ...

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/under-the-hood/car-part-longevity/automotive-spark-plugs-last.htm

Both Platinum and Iridium are rated at 60k miles.

There is no guarantee that either plug will be good past 60k miles...

Without any form of boost, or any real modification that warrants different spark plugs, the best thing to do is to stick to what GM Spent billions of dollars researching for your motor, and that's platinum plugs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, April 16, 2012 11:01 PM

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 11:16 PM
jdm cav9 wrote:Ended up getting some ngk iridiums IX ones they were like 7.00 a piece and pregapped .60 so I should be good for awhile guess iridium ones last longer.

the tr55IX plugs have the same issue as all the other plugs. they're too short. cut your losses and get the right plugs for your car.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 2:31 PM
The ohv came from the factory with copper plugs, not platinum.
Saturday, April 21, 2012 12:18 AM
I find it funny how twin cam guys are in a ohv thread spouting odd info. How would you guys know more about an engine than say, someone like (I know he isn't in this thread) MadJack or I, that you have less experience with? I've tested quite a few different plugs over the last 6 years that I've had my J, and currently, the smoothest running are the NGK TR55IX plugs. Next being the TR55-1 platinums. I had the Delco's in for nearly a year, got horrible gas mileage, and terrible wear time. 3 sets in one year. put in the NGK's, moved half way across Canada and got near 850km to each tank.

I need a new sig.

Saturday, April 21, 2012 1:17 PM
Brad (ceyenne red beast) wrote:I find it funny how twin cam guys are in a ohv thread spouting odd info. How would you guys know more about an engine than say, someone like (I know he isn't in this thread) MadJack or I, that you have less experience with? I've tested quite a few different plugs over the last 6 years that I've had my J, and currently, the smoothest running are the NGK TR55IX plugs. Next being the TR55-1 platinums. I had the Delco's in for nearly a year, got horrible gas mileage, and terrible wear time. 3 sets in one year. put in the NGK's, moved half way across Canada and got near 850km to each tank.

besides kyle, who's a twin cam guy? i've been rocking an ohv powered cav since 2001. tried bosch (standard platinum, +2, and +4s) autolite (copper and double platinum), ngk (v power and iridium IX) denso (TT, the @!#$tiest of all the plugs on the list), champion (coppers because i needed a cheap plug to run after a rebuild), and delco. none of them ran as good in EITHER of my ohv powered cavs as the 41-928 delcos.

Saturday, April 21, 2012 4:38 PM
I've had v power ngk's for about 60000 miles...time for a tuneup!
Tuesday, April 24, 2012 3:52 PM
agreed 41-928 delcos are the way to go i run them on 8mm accel racing wires and accel supercoils great plugs!

MEAN & GREEN.
Sunday, April 29, 2012 9:43 PM
96 sunfire 2.2 with JEGS coils and 8mm wires, normal use 6-7000rpm. Used NGK's the first year we raced dirt oval, the pistons and head were always dirty. Switch to E3 plugs last year, you can hear the difference on the top end. The engine componets are very clean compaired to the NGK's, get a much better burn with the E3's.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search