HELP! 2.2L Crankshaft position sensor - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
HELP! 2.2L Crankshaft position sensor
Tuesday, May 01, 2012 4:07 PM
I need to know what wires are what on a crankshaft position sensor on a 1996 Cavalier 2.2L motor. The crankshaft position sensor has 3 prongs on the 1996. And i put it in a 1997, and didn't realize the 1997 has a 2 prong crank position sensor. So i would like to know what 2 wires off of the crank position sensor i need to wire into my wiring harness? (I don't want to mess with changing out the sensor, as it's already in the car, and it's a bitch!) Any help would be greatly appreciated!

"If I'm not back in 5 minutes...just wait longer"

Re: HELP! 2.2L Crankshaft position sensor
Wednesday, May 02, 2012 4:10 AM
You can't do it that way... the 96 PCM is looking for something off all three wires....

Your 96 PCM is OBD 1.5 ...

97 and newer is OBD 2

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 4:12 AM
interesting. I have put a 2000 2.2 into a 96 before and ran it off the 96 harness and ecu with no issues. I do not remember running into this.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 4:35 AM
Addicted to meth wrote:interesting. I have put a 2000 2.2 into a 96 before and ran it off the 96 harness and ecu with no issues. I do not remember running into this.

Possibly because the CPS runs to the ICM first? Then from the ICM your signal goes to the ECU?

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Wednesday, May 02, 2012 2:48 PM
But the car is a 1997, and the wiring harness has 2 wires for the crankshaft position sensor...And the motor that i put in it, has a sensor with 3 wires....I can't just run 2 wires off of the sensor, to the wiring harness?

If not, is it still possible to put a 1997 Crankshaft position sensor in the 1996 motor, so my wiring harness and sensors will be correct? And if i can, whats the easiest way to get it out? I've been told they're a pain to get out...

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 3:54 PM
SHOoff wrote:
Addicted to meth wrote:interesting. I have put a 2000 2.2 into a 96 before and ran it off the 96 harness and ecu with no issues. I do not remember running into this.

Possibly because the CPS runs to the ICM first? Then from the ICM your signal goes to the ECU?

According to GM:
CPS - Camshaft Position Sensor
CKP - Crankshaft Position Sensor...

Imma assume you meant CKP...

96 and 99 are bastard years when it comes to electrical...

To the OP. You'll need to swap out to the 97 sensor. Since the sensor simply reads the the reluctor wheel, it should just swap over and be fine. I've never done a CKP on an LN2 before so I cannot tell you the difficulty in the swap...

If you go with an Aftermarket CKP (non ACDelco), you'll probably want to get the "Reteach" procedure done.

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 7:04 PM
Will i have to re-program anything if it's a stock sensor? Here's the link to the one i got.: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MPI0/296101/02807.oap?year=1997&make=Chevrolet&model=Cavalier&vi=1038327&ck=Search_02807_1038327_3935&pt=02807&ppt=C0033

Thursday, May 03, 2012 2:23 PM
Okay, i got the old one out, and the new one in. All sensors plug in, and are right for the car. I turned it over, and nothing. I checked for spark, and there was none. Am i stuck with the re-learn procedure? And if so, is there any do-it-yourself procedure, or will i have to take it to a shop?

Thursday, May 03, 2012 3:55 PM
Mystic02VA (GME Chat) wrote:
SHOoff wrote:

According to GM:
CPS - Camshaft Position Sensor
CKP - Crankshaft Position Sensor...

Imma assume you meant CKP...

96 and 99 are bastard years when it comes to electrical...

To the OP. You'll need to swap out to the 97 sensor. Since the sensor simply reads the the reluctor wheel, it should just swap over and be fine. I've never done a CKP on an LN2 before so I cannot tell you the difficulty in the swap...

If you go with an Aftermarket CKP (non ACDelco), you'll probably want to get the "Reteach" procedure done.

Damn technicalities..... yeah, that's what I meant though.

I was throwing out that the motor swap mentioned above. Perhaps the sensors weren't a problem because if you swap the ICM with it, then you're fine. Just throwing out an idea, i've never done the swap.

I agree though, just swap over the sensor, the reluctor wheel is the same regardless of year. Just be careful when pulling the old one out. It's kind of a PITA if you break it off.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Thursday, May 03, 2012 6:12 PM
I'm still confused why i don't have spark...I changed the short harness for the CKP and the Knock sensor, and it didn't make a difference. Still no spark. Both motors were running before the swap started. I tried pushing in the CKP as much as i could, just in case it wasn't in all the way, but it's definitely in. And both of them were the same size in length, from the end of the magnet, to where it sits against the block. All grounds are connected good, everything is good. The theft light stays on when the key is on, and it doesnt blink, so that's fine. It's definitely getting fuel. I'm completely stumped. I've been looking allover online for a solution. This is a real head scratcher.

Thursday, May 03, 2012 6:24 PM
You have the 96 ICM on the 97 engine?

Thursday, May 03, 2012 6:30 PM
Yes....I thought they were the same? Plug ins were the same, and looked very identical.

Thursday, May 03, 2012 6:45 PM
Hmm.... I've vaguely remembered hearing of this before where the 96 ECU doesn't get along with the 97+ ICM's. But, if you're still running the 96 in there, then it should just work.

Thursday, May 03, 2012 8:00 PM
i had a similar issue when i replaced my CKP and PCM on my 2.4.... I had to Key On for 15 minutes, and then it started right up.... Theft light did not blink either...

All the reteach procedure does is prevent two codes (at least on the 2.4), the GM Specific code that states (CKP is not Learnt) and P0300 (False Random Misfires)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, May 03, 2012 8:02 PM

Thursday, May 03, 2012 8:25 PM
I swapped the ICM, and wha-lah! Started right up! Thanks for the help.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search