LN2 Performance Lifters Revisited - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
LN2 Performance Lifters Revisited
Tuesday, April 24, 2012 9:49 PM
Has anyone tried the Comp Cams 15850 racing short travel hydraulic roller lifters? Looks like the oil passage is low enough to work in the LN2 block and it's actually designed for high revs. My only concern is that I saw some criticism on other forums that it's not worth buying them when you could modify stock ones to create the short travel. However, since I need new ones anyway and my next best option would be to do the LT1 (or whatever) hybrid lifters which would require purchasing two new sets of lifters I might as well go this route. Which leads me to my next question... would these lifters with shorter pushrods create an acceptable valvetrain geometry? There was more criticism online that you can't just change the geometry without checking things. I don't see how it could be a problem with correctly sized pushrods.

Re: LN2 Performance Lifters Revisited
Monday, April 30, 2012 11:24 PM
I doubt you'll find anyone who's tried them yet but see if Comp will cough up the vital measurements so you can confirm they'll work.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Tuesday, May 01, 2012 8:33 PM
I just got the better springs...not a whole set of lodgers
Thursday, May 03, 2012 2:26 PM
I ordered one and they do fit. I'll have to order custom push rods but that's about it. I'm going to take one apart to see what the difference is and post some pictures of what I find. Comp says they are legitimately built for high performance / high revs and that they aren't the same as just changing the springs so I want to see what they are built like. They do seem to be pretty trick so far. They've got spiral locks holding the plungers in
Sunday, May 06, 2012 12:48 AM
Spiral locks are cool but there won't necessarily be a lot of visible differences... Metallurgy will probably be one of the biggest differences outside of spiral locks and stiffer springing if I had to bet. Probably a stronger, more wear resistant alloy.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Sunday, May 06, 2012 7:30 PM
Ya, I wasn't saying they would help... just that I thought they were cool. Probably a little lighter though.
Wednesday, May 09, 2012 10:08 AM
I have a set of the LS1 lifters, I your looking to do the hybrid ones!
Wednesday, May 09, 2012 1:32 PM
No thanks, the entire point of this thread is to avoid running the hybrid ones and try to expand our options... I already bought the new ones. I'll post pics in a few days.
Wednesday, May 16, 2012 10:18 AM
So what's the story on these?

______
Inochi
Sunday, May 20, 2012 9:43 AM
I have one out on my workbench ready to take it apart but I haven't got around to it yet... I think I'll go do that right now.
Sunday, May 20, 2012 11:24 AM
Nothing too dramatically different on the inside. I don't know much about lifter design but It's definitely short travel, It's got a very stiff spring, friction coating, and it's cheaper and easier than building hybrid ones. It'll be interesting to see how high I can rev this thing until the power starts dropping off...

Sunday, May 20, 2012 1:07 PM
They look just about the same size. I thought they were a bit smaller than stock
Sunday, May 20, 2012 2:51 PM
These are both LS1 style lifters that are about .25 inch taller than the factory lifters. The difference is that the black one is the first one I know of that has the oil relief on the side low enough (close enough to the roller) to actually run it in the 2.2. The guides have to be raised up and custom comp pushrods will be needed for me but anyone else that does this after me can probably just order the same pushrods that I end up with.
Sunday, May 20, 2012 4:45 PM
Guides raised up?
Sunday, May 20, 2012 8:26 PM
Dave De Stefano wrote:Guides raised up?

You have to compensate for the .25" taller lifter (not to mention I'm running a .500 lift cam) or else they'd hit the top of the guides. I'm debating whether I want to raise the stock guides or have some new ones machined... I'll probably have some machined and maybe start selling the lifters, guides, and push rods as a set if it all works well and anyone else is interested. It's definitely looking like I'll be using these in my crate engines in the future though.
Thursday, May 24, 2012 4:26 PM
How much are these parts running you?
Wednesday, June 06, 2012 8:02 PM
They're about $220 for the lifters. Well worth it so far.
Saturday, June 09, 2012 7:47 AM
BUMP for info.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search